Zero carb diet started today.

davidzerocarber49

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, today I began a 100% carbfree diet, yes, you heard correctly..carbfree or better known as zerocarb.

I am 49 years old, a former school gymnast/allround athlete, and golf professional, but I weigh 95 kilos, 45 inch waist and am only 5ft9!

This weight and waist of mine puts me at risk of developing type 2 diabetes, so I decided to avoid one single gram of carb for at least one week to see what happens, if I survive I will let you know the changes to my body.

Thanks.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Good luck!!! You're aware of the carb flu right? A drastic change like that most likely will make you feel unwell. Persevere. It does get better. Much better for some if us

How many carbs were you eating previously? Were you eating grains? As stopping those also causes a detox. It has been said the worse you feel the more you need it. It's the body purging toxins

Hazel595

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Hi, today I began a 100% carbfree diet, yes, you heard correctly..carbfree or better known as zerocarb.

I am 49 years old, a former school gymnast/allround athlete, and golf professional, but I weigh 95 kilos, 45 inch waist and am only 5ft9!

This weight and waist of mine puts me at risk of developing type 2 diabetes, so I decided to avoid one single gram of carb for at least one week to see what happens, if I survive I will let you know the changes to my body.

Thanks.

Good luck and please let us know how you get on. I've been following Zoë Harcombe diet which allows some carbs so far I've lost 17lb.

I strongly advise for you to really step your water intake up drop the tea and coffee and drink fruit tea if you need a hot drink.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Ah yes,, water with salt helps any symptoms. No carb is dehydrating by nature. Gotta keep the fluid and salt up.

davidzerocarber49

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't get the carb flu, and have eaten like this before but a long time ago. My liver will be detoxifying my body.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Good luck! I did it for one week a couple of years ago to get my BG down from in the low 30s. It certainly worked but, my goodness, it was boring. Nowadays I eat under 20g of carbs a day and it seems positively luxurious after that zero carb week. I recommend a bone broth (roast the bones then simmer in water) with some salt it.

Reactions: Speedbird

davidzerocarber49

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Did it make you grow pink fur and a beak, I hope I don't become a pink fluffy animal, I like being a pussycat. :)

Reactions: DeejayR

davidzerocarber49

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good luck and please let us know how you get on. I've been following Zoë Harcombe diet which allows some carbs so far I've lost 17lb.

I strongly advise for you to really step your water intake up drop the tea and coffee and drink fruit tea if you need a hot drink.
Thanks, will do. Well done on your progress following Zoe Harcombe, I have been inspired by Dr Aseem Malhotra, Peter Attia, and Shawn Baker.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Will do, thanks, and how is your diet coming along?
Good doing zero carb February so on day 20. No significant weight loss to date but I did precede the Zero carb with a 7 day fast so maybe not the best time to experiment. No significant weight gain either so balanced. Makes food shopping easier.

davidzerocarber49

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@bulkbiker Well done on reaching 20 days. I had 200g ribeye today with plenty of healthy natural fats, and bulletproof coffee, I feel full for once.

Speedbird

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
@bulkbiker Well done on reaching 20 days. I had 200g ribeye today with plenty of healthy natural fats, and bulletproof coffee, I feel full for once.
Hi, so coffee allowed on the zero carb? I ask because I have given up so much since becoming a type 2,and love my coffee, it's about the only thing left from my past :) X

jonbvn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I'm intrigued by this. Will be interesting to see how you get on. Might be something worth considering in the future.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I admire your willpower.
My regime is far more relaxed, today I ate chocolate - the 81 percent one Lidl sell - two squares, then two eggs, bacon and a tomato, coffee with cream.
I just checked my late afternoon BG with one of the last few strips and it is 4.9 mmol/l.
I was thinking of minced beef with onion, mushrooms and sweet pepper for dinner, and perhaps a side salad - I might throw in another tomato as I am so low. Wouldn't want to push things too far ;)

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, so coffee allowed on the zero carb? I ask because I have given up so much since becoming a type 2,and love my coffee, it's about the only thing left from my past :) X
I have at least one a day with coconut oil and double cream.