1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

ZERO PUMP BASAL SETTING FOR LONG PERIOD AT NIGHT

Discussion in 'Insulin Pump Forum' started by jimmax, Jul 11, 2020.

1. jimmax

jimmax Type 1 · Active Member

See----Pump basal setting for long period at night.

2. Juicyj

Juicyj Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Hi Jim - are you looking to do a temp basal pattern for an extended period ? If so what pump ? On my 640g I can just simply do a temp basal for X time frame or are you looking to change your basal ratios ?

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. jimmax

No, that thread is my very bad attempt to correct the heading on this thread. I omitted the word ''zero'' from the heading. I've been needing to use a very long zero basal setting around midnight for several months now and I would like to know how odd this is. My DNS just says everyone is different.

Have you heard of this happening to others?

Thanks for your response Juicyj

• Like Like x 1
  4. Seacrow

Seacrow LADA · Well-Known Member

I have zero basal rate set for 3am to 7am. It's been that way for a while, since I started waking up at fourish each morning with a hypo. With the hot weather I'm beginning to wake a little higher, so I'm keeping an eye on it and may start a tiny dose instead of zero.

No idea how common this is, it was just what my body needed at the time.

5. jimmax

Thanks for your reply Seacrow. I'm pleased to know I'm not the only person in the world needing zero segments. I'm 81 years of age, been T1 for 48 years and thought this could be something which develops with age and length of time with diabetes. It developed about a year ago and it's what forced me to get my pump.

6. Juicyj

Juicyj Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

I’ve not come across it in long term t1, although would be useful for honeymooning t1’s to have a pump for this reason although they cannot access one till afterwards.

Thanks for clarifying Jim, good job you have a pump which is perfect for micro management.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. LizLola

LizLola Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hello! I used to have a 0 set in the afternoon for a couple of hours. My pump frequently sets zeros for 2 hours at a time on low suspend and often during the night and afternoon, so no, not that unusual. I could mean you are having too much earlier in the day but my needs have always been very low and i suspect some of us are just like that. i've always wondered if even after 50 years I still have a tiny amount of insulin in me!

8. jimmax

Thanks for your interest LizLola,
    I'm absolutely sure I'm now producing a small amount of insulin and my system does have it under control. Here is what I think is going on.

My liver does not now deliver a constant flow of glucose into the bloodstream hence the need for a pump to give different basal insulin flows over the 24hr period. During the night time and early morning period that require zero basal delivery the liver supplied glucose must be down to a level that can supply the brain and probably little else. The brain needs lots of glucose but no insulin. During this period I allow my BG to drop down and eat nothing. I don't have any hypos and my blood remains between 4 and 5 mmol. If I have a small dose of glucose (12g) my BG remains between 4 and 5. If I have 20g then my test rises and then an hour later is back to between 4 and 5.

I'm sure life would be much easier without this quirk but I'm told there is no fix.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook