Zoe - the health study and other CGM's

Dicky300

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
insincerity, mediocrity, politics
I tried the Libre on the free trial for much the same reasons . It isn't all that accurate or reliable in my experience but it does tell you what happens when you aren't testing (when it works).

It did show me something I'm not sure I could have found out any other way. This is that I sometimes have an abrupt BG drop (from a tandard low 5 to below 3) in the early hours followed by a steady rise, which is Dawn Phenomenon. This drop is accompanied by vivid dreams, night sweats, etc. I was obviously already aware of the dreams and sweats, and the dawn phenom, but not the BG fall.

I have no idea why this happens. A few other people have reported the same thing.
Sorry for tardy reply, I have to dip in and out otherwise I get nothing done. Thanks for sharing . Yes the sleep thing sounds similar. I can get really vivid dreams and wake with a sense of dread at 3.30 AM. trying to figure out how last meal / exercise etc affects this.

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry for tardy reply, I have to dip in and out otherwise I get nothing done. Thanks for sharing . Yes the sleep thing sounds similar. I can get really vivid dreams and wake with a sense of dread at 3.30 AM. trying to figure out how last meal / exercise etc affects this.
You'll see lots of advice - eg I've read people saying that having a small amount of carb before bed helps, others saying NOT having any carb before bed works. It seems likely from where I sit that it's another one of those "no single cause: no single solution" items.

Nothing has worked consistently for me. The only thing I've noted is that I either have them or I don't, and the on or off periods last months (I'm in one at the moment). I suspect that for me at least it's more about something internal changing, and less about external influences.

Dicky300

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
You'll see lots of advice - eg I've read people saying that having a small amount of carb before bed helps, others saying NOT having any carb before bed works. It seems likely from where I sit that it's another one of those "no single cause: no single solution" items.

Nothing has worked consistently for me. The only thing I've noted is that I either have them or I don't, and the on or off periods last months (I'm in one at the moment). I suspect that for me at least it's more about something internal changing, and less about external influences.
I agree and with that in mind, I'm mindful of what I watch and think about before bed. and have tried a few meditation / affirmation videos last thing. As sometimes was definitely work related.

IncogKeto

How are you getting on with the Zoe test? Would you care to explain a bit more about it?
I know it sounds shallow, but I took an instant dislike to that Jonathan fella on their youtube channel and if I see another advert with over-tanned Tim Spector I think I'll scream. But I presume the reason that the algorithm keeps suggesting it to me is because the test is probably something that I'd be interested in.

Reactions: Moggy1968

Dicky300

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
How are you getting on with the Zoe test? Would you care to explain a bit more about it?
I know it sounds shallow, but I took an instant dislike to that Jonathan fella on their youtube channel and if I see another advert with over-tanned Tim Spector I think I'll scream. But I presume the reason that the algorithm keeps suggesting it to me is because the test is probably something that I'd be interested in.
There has been such over demand I need to wait until September.
I can fill in more details then. But its a blood monitor and poo test...they give you some food to eat and then check how it comes out. . From all this they can check your biome and recommend what you should eat.
I now what you mean about Fella, but he is trying to help.

Reactions: Moggy1968

ajbod

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My understanding of the gut microbiome is that it consists of over a 1000 different bacteria which each one deals with different parts of the food eaten. Things you eat a lot of will have more relevant bacteria, as their food supply is greater. If you stopped eating that item, the bacteria diminish as the food supply drops. If you change your diet completely, your microbiome changes the ratios of bacteria dependent on diet. this is why we suffer gut problems for a few days when eating a totally different diet, as the bacteria need to increase or decrease accordingly.
from the info i've seen, they are looking at how your gut handles fat, so if your diet is highish in fat, the recommendation should be to continue as you are as you should have the correct ratios of the fat handling bacteria.

Reactions: Dicky300

Dicky300

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
My understanding of the gut microbiome is that it consists of over a 1000 different bacteria which each one deals with different parts of the food eaten. Things you eat a lot of will have more relevant bacteria, as their food supply is greater. If you stopped eating that item, the bacteria diminish as the food supply drops. If you change your diet completely, your microbiome changes the ratios of bacteria dependent on diet. this is why we suffer gut problems for a few days when eating a totally different diet, as the bacteria need to increase or decrease accordingly.
from the info i've seen, they are looking at how your gut handles fat, so if your diet is highish in fat, the recommendation should be to continue as you are as you should have the correct ratios of the fat handling bacteria.
Yes, Thanks for contributing.
I've seen some pretty obscure things on microbiome. One about it being different depending on method of birth.
Two things I know.
We're all different in what we need but the same in what we want.
The gap between eating and nutrition is huge.
Therefore the way we individually process food is the cross section between these and that must be in or gut.

IncogKeto

I know that they provide muffins that you need to eat at a specific time but I'd assumed that they were similar to an OGTT (i.e. carbs) rather than fats, so that's interesting.
When I read some information about it a while back there was mention of a cost of about £200 to £300 - which seemed understandable since they were providing a service but I get the impression that it's not going to cost you anything. Is this correct? If it's a survey then I'm wondering who's funding it and how much personal information they will be harvesting.
Also, if it's so oversubscribed then it seems like a waste for them to keep spending money on advertising.
It'll be good to hear about your experiences.

Dicky300

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I know that they provide muffins that you need to eat at a specific time but I'd assumed that they were similar to an OGTT (i.e. carbs) rather than fats, so that's interesting.
When I read some information about it a while back there was mention of a cost of about £200 to £300 - which seemed understandable since they were providing a service but I get the impression that it's not going to cost you anything. Is this correct? If it's a survey then I'm wondering who's funding it and how much personal information they will be harvesting.
Also, if it's so oversubscribed then it seems like a waste for them to keep spending money on advertising.
It'll be good to hear about your experiences.
You're correct it was about £250 with 10% discount from podcast10, I think.
That's the test, muffins blood and poo..
Then you can get a years monitoring for Another £250 as I remember.
The constant blood monitor is free for research... But not for diabetics... I forgot to tick that box as I want the info and I'm Groombridge lower readings every test so I'm treating myself as pre undiagnosed.. Let's see what they say.