Type 2's: What was your fasting blood glucose in a morning?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Following on from my query about possible reasons for my recent increase in fasting levels coinciding with increasing my fat consumption, the Pizza Effect has been discussed on another thread. @phoenix kindly supplied some links here http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/thr...ou-surprisingly-dont.67621/page-3#post-682571 which are very interesting, and go a long way to explain things.

High fat meals appear to encourage more insulin resistance and encourage the liver to dump extra glucose especially on an overnight fast.

This is a quote from one of the links.

It has long been known that adding fat to a meal will slow down the digestion/absorption of carbohydrates. This is due to a slowdown in gastric emptying – the rate at which food passes from the stomach into the intestines, where the nutrients (such as glucose) are absorbed into the bloodstream. This is why the carbohydrates in high-fat meals tend to take longer to raise the blood glucose level. But the difference is generally an hour or two: Whereas a low-fat meal will raise the blood glucose level quickly (usually within an hour), a high-fat meal may take two to four hours to produce a blood sugar peak.
So what about after the carbohydrates are finished doing their thing? That’s when the fat itself begins to exert its effects. The process goes something like this:
  1. You eat a high-fat meal or snack (this is the fun part).
  2. In a few hours, the fat begins to digest; this continues for several hours.
  3. The level of fat in the bloodstream (triglycerides) rises.
  4. High triglycerides in the bloodstream cause the liver to become resistant to insulin.
  5. When the liver is insulin resistant, it produces and secretes more glucose than usual.
  6. The blood glucose rises steadily as the liver’s glucose output goes up.
This is what causes the gradual, delayed blood glucose rise after consumption of large amounts of fat. The response seems to be “dose-dependent” – the more fat you consume, the more insulin resistant the liver becomes, and the more glucose it produces. The type of fat also appears to play a role. Saturated fats (the type found in dairy and animal products) seem to cause more insulin resistance than monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats (the type found in vegetable products).

Reactions: 8 people

MsVelvet

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Morning 6.2 today. Yesterday afternoon I snacked on cheese,, 2.5 of those baybel like cheeses. I also decided a glass of wine was in order before dinner. Checked bs before food 4.4. Ordered pizza for my daughters 13th birthday. I ate the topping only and mainly the prawns. I wanted to watch a TV show so tested my bs slightly early 5.1. I think when I see the doctor next I will ask for slow release metaphormin and see if that makes a difference to the mornings.

Reactions: 6 people

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Following on from my query about possible reasons for my recent increase in fasting levels coinciding with increasing my fat consumption, the Pizza Effect has been discussed on another thread. @phoenix kindly supplied some links here http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/thr...ou-surprisingly-dont.67621/page-3#post-682571 which are very interesting, and go a long way to explain things.

High fat meals appear to encourage more insulin resistance and encourage the liver to dump extra glucose especially on an overnight fast.

This is a quote from one of the links.

It has long been known that adding fat to a meal will slow down the digestion/absorption of carbohydrates. This is due to a slowdown in gastric emptying – the rate at which food passes from the stomach into the intestines, where the nutrients (such as glucose) are absorbed into the bloodstream. This is why the carbohydrates in high-fat meals tend to take longer to raise the blood glucose level. But the difference is generally an hour or two: Whereas a low-fat meal will raise the blood glucose level quickly (usually within an hour), a high-fat meal may take two to four hours to produce a blood sugar peak.
So what about after the carbohydrates are finished doing their thing? That’s when the fat itself begins to exert its effects. The process goes something like this:
  1. You eat a high-fat meal or snack (this is the fun part).
  2. In a few hours, the fat begins to digest; this continues for several hours.
  3. The level of fat in the bloodstream (triglycerides) rises.
  4. High triglycerides in the bloodstream cause the liver to become resistant to insulin.
  5. When the liver is insulin resistant, it produces and secretes more glucose than usual.
  6. The blood glucose rises steadily as the liver’s glucose output goes up.
This is what causes the gradual, delayed blood glucose rise after consumption of large amounts of fat. The response seems to be “dose-dependent” – the more fat you consume, the more insulin resistant the liver becomes, and the more glucose it produces. The type of fat also appears to play a role. Saturated fats (the type found in dairy and animal products) seem to cause more insulin resistance than monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats (the type found in vegetable products).

Hmmmm. Theory and reality don't always jibe. A LCHF diet will, in fact, lower your plasma triglyceride level. I suppose a high carb high fat diet (e.g. pizza) would raise your triglycerides. I found a low carb high fat diet improved my morning fasting blood glucose compared to low fat high carb diet. I am eating less then 75 g carbs per day and when I increased it by a bit to 125-135 g per day, my fasting BG immediately went up noticeably. When I reduced the carbs my fasting BG went down again.

Reactions: 2 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hmmmm. Theory and reality don't always jibe. A LCHF diet will, in fact, lower your plasma triglyceride level. I suppose a high carb high fat diet (e.g. pizza) would raise your triglycerides. I found a low carb high fat diet improved my morning fasting blood glucose compared to low fat high carb diet. I am eating less then 75 g carbs per day and when I increased it by a bit to 125-135 g per day, my fasting BG immediately went up noticeably. When I reduced the carbs my fasting BG went down again.

My triglycerides are 0.6. So nothing wrong with those. I eat up to 60g carbs a day, often less.. I was on moderate fats. I upped my fats and it is since then that my fasting readings have started to increase at the same time as my post meal readings have come down. There has to be a logical reason for this, and it does seem reasonable to assume it is the increased fats doing it as nothing else has changed. The same thing has happened to @alliebee

Reactions: 4 people

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
My triglycerides are 0.6. So nothing wrong with those. I eat up to 60g carbs a day, often less.. I was on moderate fats. I upped my fats and it is since then that my fasting readings have started to increase at the same time as my post meal readings have come down. There has to be a logical reason for this, and it does seem reasonable to assume it is the increased fats doing it as nothing else has changed. The same thing has happened to @alliebee
Well, I tried to be careful in my response by saying "Theory and reality don't always jibe." and not "That's completely wrong!!".

Reactions: 5 people

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
4,6 mmol this morning
ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1416543506.020392.jpg

Have a great day

Pavlos

Reactions: 13 people

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
8.5 again I deff never understand this ..........

Reactions: 8 people

Silver Hammer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
5.3 this morning. I am noticing a trend that when I exercise the previous evening then my reading will be lower the next morning. I didn't exercise yesterday! I will see if this idea holds water over a few weeks.

Maxwell

Reactions: 11 people

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
5.3 this morning. I am noticing a trend that when I exercise the previous evening then my reading will be lower the next morning. I didn't exercise yesterday! I will see if this idea holds water over a few weeks.

Maxwell
I have also found that exercise the previous evening lowers my next day's fasting levels.

In general exercise seems to have a beneficial effect on readings which extents beyond the immediate burning of glucose and lowers levels for hours later. It is something to do with release of enzymes.

I was reading yesterday that Nestle are trying to develop a drink that will have a similar effect on enzymes as exercise!

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-s...rink-that-could-replace-exercise-9873732.html

Pavlos

Reactions: 4 people

Pasha

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Proving again that exercise is good for both physical and mental well being !!!

Reactions: 5 people
Status
Not open for further replies.