1/4 unit insulin pen device

Kiarna96H

Hi Everyone,

I hope you are all well! I'm very new to this as was only diagnosed T1D 6 months ago.

I just wondered if anyone uses a reusable 1/4 unit insulin pen device for Novorapid. I am currently using Novo pen echo 1/2 unit device. I have heard that in the UK they don't have them but have heard from one of the diabetes nurses you can buy a 1/4 unit pen from Germany (she can't quite remember exactly where) that fits the 3ml Novorapid insert. Unfortunately we couldn't find it yesterday and I have looked on so many sites today as well.

So just wondered if anyone was using a 1/4 unit reusable insulin pen device and if so where could I get one?

If not no worries, just would be nice to have a little more control over my levels.

Ki x

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @Kiarna96H and welcome to the forum :)

Personally i'd never heard of a 1/4 unit pen before your post, I was using a children's 1/2 unit pen before moving to the pump which my nurse gave me so sorry not much use in regards to locating a 1/4 unit one, maybe try searching children's insulin pens as they are generally given out to children .

How are you finding your control on the current pen so what does a typical day look like ?

Reactions: Kiarna96H

Kiarna96H

Hello @Juicyj!

Thank you, yeah I didn't until I had a discussion with a diabetes nurse whilst on shift the other day and she mentioned she found a 1/4 unit pen but couldn't find it when we looked.
Okay no worries I'll look into it after work today.

My control at the moment is good but it's frustrating when I have a snack less then 8g as I still spike and I don't want to give 1/2 unit as it'll just drop me too low.

My levels are much better when I'm at home/doing stuff I've planned and in better control of it, but at work it's just an absolute nightmare as I'm a paediatric staff nurse in a busy emergency department so breaks aren't always a thing... My levels are all over the place at work and it just causes me a lot stress.
Ive been looking at other jobs as I was saying to my mum the other day if I knew I'd end up with type one I wouldn't have trained as a nurse as it's so difficult to manage your levels whilst trying to work in a manic department.

Sorry for the long message!

chrisbug

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Radio 1.
Hi Kiarna96H,

I had to give up my Humapen Luxura that could administer half units, and now use a Humapen Savvio that administers whole units, all because Lilly no longer made the half unit pens for Humalog 3ml cartridges.
For me that half unit was the difference between BS in range and either going high or going low.
I emailed Lilly, phoned local pharmacists, searched on ebay. All dead ends, so only options for me were to make do with the whole unit pens and adjust my carb intake, or get a junior pen.
I have been adjusting my carb intake, which is not ideal, but it kind of works for me.

My work is as an electrical engineer, and it's really difficult trying to manage T1 when i can end up having unplanned physical activity, or the complete opposite when work gets aborted, and I've allowed for a physical day!
No 2 days are the same and it's a constant juggling act.

Like you, I find an 8g carb snack will send my levels high, and I will have to plan a snack with such precision.

Good luck with your 1/4 unit pen search, and I hope you can find some sort of resolution with your career.

Reactions: Kiarna96H

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @Kiarna96H

When you say spike - what are you getting ?

Working in a busy department is difficult as we do need breaks and by law we are entitled to them under the disability act, however in reality it's not as simple as that, a couple of thoughts, can you try a low carb snack instead, so stuff like boiled eggs, dried meat, cheese, pre-prepared of course but simple stuff you can have when you need something, as an alternative to carbs ? Longer term a better solution would be a pump as you can micro manage your control on a pump and take the exact insulin for per 1g of carb eaten, as well as using a basal pattern for work when your busy so reducing your background insulin when you're more active, it makes life more flexible as it works to suit your lifestyle.

In regards to a busy work life - are you testing with a meter or using a CGM like the Libre ?

Reactions: chrisbug