Diabetes groups...

annapanna93

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Does anyone know of any good Diabetes groups in the UK? That meet up and have events and things like that? It would be nice to meet people in similar situations

Reactions: himtoo

annapanna93

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @annapanna93 I guess it will depend on where you are located. I have seen there are some groups who meet fairly regularly organised via the forum and social media and some ad hoc meet ups/events.

You can find info of groups throughout the UK here: https://www.diabetes.org.uk/In_Your_Area/
Oh sorry I should have said! I'm in the north west. I had a look on there but couldn't find much close to me, which is a shame Thank you for your reply!

db89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh sorry I should have said! I'm in the north west. I had a look on there but couldn't find much close to me, which is a shame Thank you for your reply!
I found similar when I looked too (also North West) but worth a try. The main group I have seen on the forum are based around London I think though the closest I have seen recently has been a meet up in Yorkshire being organised (which I think was this weekend): http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/meet-ups.119271/

Type1Lad

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
if you go on twitter there are some people doing meet ups for PWD.
I don't know if there is any in the North West but if there isn't start your own one?

I highly recommend them because meeting others makes you not feel so alone!

BeccyB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Try "GB Diabetic Community Online" on facebook or twitter #gbdoc, they do tweet chats and events and are a lovely bunch

There is also a facebook group "T1D London Meetups group" which despite the name has people from all over on it (I'm in Birmingham) Meets for other areas are often posted on there too.

Reactions: Type1Bri

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I also found a local diabetes group listed in a Whats On section in my local paper. They're small and I'm not sure if they're listed elsewhere but it was nice to see.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

Odin004

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Does anyone know of any good Diabetes groups in the UK? That meet up and have events and things like that? It would be nice to meet people in similar situations

It struck me recently that I don't really know anyone in a similar situation to me. I'd certainly be interested in meeting other diabetics (I'm T1) - I'm based in London myself, but would be happy to travel to meet others. I think it would bring a new perspective to things to speak with others who have the same issues.

db89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It struck me recently that I don't really know anyone in a similar situation to me. I'd certainly be interested in meeting other diabetics (I'm T1) - I'm based in London myself, but would be happy to travel to meet others. I think it would bring a new perspective to things to speak with others who have the same issues.

There is definitely a group in the London area who meet every so often. Tagging @Type1Bri and @ewelina as I think they are involved in running the group (apologies if I got that wrong!). :)

BeccyB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

I would really recommend it!

It's a strangely wonderful feeling to be surrounded by people all testing their blood at lunchtime :)

Reactions: Odin004

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
There's a picnic organised on September 9th for the London Group - I think it's in Regent's Park. Cant' make that one as I'll be at another festival.

annapanna93

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you all so much for your replies! Having a bit of a hard time at the min with feeling lonely so I will definitely look into all of these options!

Reactions: Type1Bri