does this sound ok (food)

S

serenity648

Why choose what type of gun to shoot yourself with, when you can choose not to shoot yourself...........
first you need to find out if a type and amount of carb is OK or not OK, then make your choices based on that.

S

serenity648

I was only saying that I swapped them out because I do eat carbs and surely the healthier option would be the wiser choice
Yes, I agree. I have found that any sort of pasta and rice, is not good for my blood sugars, but I can have a slice or two of wholemeal bread, and a small roast potato on occasions.

When you do your testing before and 2 hours after a meal, do you keep a record of what you ate and how much of it you ate? I find doing that to be essential for my own personal menu planning.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Now back to the chick peas and kidney bean......

They are much better then potatoes, rice, bread etc therefore I would be happy to eat them, but not everyday. However I don't get the option as my wife does not like them....

I have just order two "low carb slow cooker" cook books as it is comming to that time of year that we want more "harty" food.

Reactions: TIANDB

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
The truth of the pudding will be in the testing. The OP mentioned kidney beans and they spike me but other people seem to have little or no reaction. If you are testing and keeping a food diary you will see which foods do raise your blood glucose level and which foods that you can eat to your heart's content. It makes life a whole lot simpler.

S

serenity648

They are much better then potatoes, rice, bread etc therefore I would be happy to eat them, but not everyday. However I don't get the option as my wife does not like them....

I have just order two "low carb slow cooker" cook books as it is comming to that time of year that we want more "harty" food.
ooohh - interesting. Can you tell me what they are called so I can have a browse please?

Juju13

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Yes, I agree. I have found that any sort of pasta and rice, is not good for my blood sugars, but I can have a slice or two of wholemeal bread, and a small roast potato on occasions.

When you do your testing before and 2 hours after a meal, do you keep a record of what you ate and how much of it you ate? I find doing that to be essential for my own personal menu planning.
Yes I test before and two hours after I am following slimming world and recipes tend to be lots of veg and meat with fat taken off if I have carbs I have very little maybe half a handful of rice or pasta it's working anyway as I have reduced my hba1c from 67 to 47 and I've lost 3 stone must be doing something right and my bloods have been kept in range for the majority minus a couple of mishaps the testing has definitely helped it should be offered for type 2

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm following slimming world I'm no expert and someone may correct me but I swap out the pasta for healthier version I.e wholewheat or seeded bread and wholemeal pasta and I use less carbs
I'm afraid that the description 'healthier' is not something which diabetics benefit from. The brown versions of carbs are still carbs, and elevate glucose levels - perhaps not in the same way, a different shape of the graph - but I find no benefit from them.
The only breadlike thing I can buy are the Protein rolls from Lidl, but I can't have them every day, and they do elevate my blood glucose, but not sending it up like real bread.
The only thing which appears to have a real and sometimes shocking effect is reducing the carbs, particularly those from higher carb foods, and diabetes is suppressed - no matter what your weight - or at least that is what I found.

Ross.Walker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
sprouts, evil things
add garlic and chilli.

It would work for me, it may work for you. chickpeas and beans are sooo much better than white rice, wheat etc.

give it a go and see what happens.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
If "slimming world" includes cooking real food rather the buying ready meals etc, it very likely to reduce the amount of the most processed and hence harmful carbs.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
does this sound ok for type 2 (sorry still getting my head around things as well as following slimming world as much as i can)
i got a slow new cooker yesterday as having no energy i like to chuck it all in and leave it
beef mince, cabbage, tinned tomatoes, chick peas, kidney beans, onions, mushrooms, peppers, few herbs and spices and veg stock
sorry if a silly question
Yes it does sound alright some will say no beans but if they can't eat them it does not necessarily mean you can't we are all different

Last edited:

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
They are healthier choices though aren't they?
I have a small wholemeal loaf because I can't stand the Burgen bread and Lidl rolls that some here have.
I don't eat it every day just when I fancy a slice of toast with my breakfast

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes I test before and two hours after I am following slimming world and recipes tend to be lots of veg and meat with fat taken off if I have carbs I have very little maybe half a handful of rice or pasta it's working anyway as I have reduced my hba1c from 67 to 47 and I've lost 3 stone must be doing something right and my bloods have been kept in range for the majority minus a couple of mishaps the testing has definitely helped it should be offered for type 2
Well done keep it up

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Remember that you can make toast with frozen bread directly from the freezer. (This stops my wife wanting toast so as to stop the bread going off.)

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Don't worry too much about the fat as 'fat doesn't make you fat' but the carbs do. Most cholesterol is produced by the liver and not from the fat you eat. Beans and pulses have lots of healthy fibre so although they are carbs they are very good food overall.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi everyone,

Just a gentle reminder that this thread was started by @licklemoose asking about slow cooking on slimming world.
And debating bread blood glucose impact is rather off topic for this thread.

Does anyone have any advice/suggestions/information for licklemoose about slow cooking?

does this sound ok for type 2 (sorry still getting my head around things as well as following slimming world as much as i can)
i got a slow new cooker yesterday as having no energy i like to chuck it all in and leave it
beef mince, cabbage, tinned tomatoes, chick peas, kidney beans, onions, mushrooms, peppers, few herbs and spices and veg stock
sorry if a silly question

I use a slow cooker quite a lot during the cooler months, and love it.
If you are following Slimming World, presumably you are doing a lowish fat way of eating?
In which case there is a fantastic tip you can use with almost all slow cooking recipes.
Cook everything the day before, let it get cold. The fat will rise to the top and can be skimmed off, leaving a low fat meal ready for reheating in individual portions.

I do this a lot (even though I eat LCHF) because sometimes with lamb or bone broth the meal is much improved by the removal of most or all the fat.

When I was a student I did a lot of slow cooking with pulses since they were cheaper than meat, and made the whole thing go farther. Oh, and (just remembered) I used to add pearl barley to nearly everything! Loved it. Gorgeous flavour, cheap, and a bit lower carb than rice. And if I remember correctly, the carbs are slower release than rice too.
http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/cereal-grains-and-pasta/5680/2

Have you had a look for some easy slow cooker recipes?
Some of these are really mouthwatering!
http://allrecipes.co.uk/recipes/slow-cooker-recipes.aspx

D

Deleted member 308541

Leave the cabbage out to the last thing as will be a sodden mess if you put it in at the beginning.

Others have replied about the chick peas and legumes, but that's your choice if you want to use them.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

ooohh - interesting. Can you tell me what they are called so I can have a browse please?
Yes I’m interested too. I bought a slow cooker last winter, but now need to consider low carb meals in it. I’d love to find a low carb dumpling recipe for slow cooked casseroles

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I can eat kidney beans it does not raise my blood glucose much.. so it is very different from one person to the other, I think it also depends on how huge your insuline resistance is so everyone needs to try measuring their blood..

somebody else put this picture in a thread and it is really illustrative
Common-Foods-Sugar-Equivalent-Infographic.jpg

here is a link on the carb content in legumes ;
https://www.healthaliciousness.com/articles/beans-low-in-net-carbs.php

Wshelledy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Only you can answer the question really. Each of us has to let experience tell us what OUR body can or cannot process without a large jump in bg. That's why a log is so helpful. Track the exact grams of carbs for a food you'd like to try along with your pre meal and post meal bg. You will find out quickly what works for YOUR body. For example, I can eat a sweet potato with a meal and not have a large spike in bg. But if I have the same number of carbs in legumes I do have a big spike. That's not to say I don't eat legumes. I just know that if I eat them I have to adjust other things. I can reduce other carbs in the meal, plan to exercise immediately afterwards, drink a large amount of water, or increase my insulin dose. Usually its a combination of things. Increasing insulin is a last resort for me. But its worth it for an occasional splurge like for an anniversary. Hope this helps.

S

serenity648

Do you know what? I havent tried any beans to see what happens to me. I know baked beans are out, but that could be the tomato sauce? Thanks for asking this @licklemoose klemoose.