Fats that Heal & Fats that Kill

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Every body is different. Despite studies etc. I definatley have issues with saturated fats no matter what studies are done. Study me, different results. People need to find their own way. There is a reason there is such debate on fat. We all process it different

Reactions: 2 people

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't know why this subject has to be flogged to death again and again except that it seems to be a favourite hobby horse.

It's clear that there are certain genetic factors that affect how saturated fat is processed by the body. As far as I can see, nobody is disputing that. There are also genetic factors that make saturated fat perfectly fine for some people. At the risk of being repetitive, we are all different.

I think I've posted this before - search Youtube for Joe Rogan Experience #773 - around 2:54:00 there is a discussion about gene polymorphisms and how they influence our ability to handle saturated fat. The genes particularly mentioned are PPAR-alpha, PPAR-gamma, FTO. Apparently a high intake of monounsaturated fat also helps upregulate the ability to deal with saturated fat.

Another article worth reading is Low Carb Dietitian on her own experiments:
http://www.lowcarbdietitian.com/blog/category/cardiovascular disease

I guess if I was as worried about this stuff as some seem to be, I'd get my genetic profile from one of the services that offer it. That way you can find out for yourself what risk factors you have.

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A longer video of Rhonda Patrick's about many aspects of genetics and nutrition for anyone who is interested. She again covers how genes impact our ability to metabolise fats at 6:31 of the video:

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.
Overview to Chapter 1 "A Broader Context".

The author already strikes me as A "lone" voice 23 years ago when this second edition was published.

As he inserts a short preamble to Ch 1, he states for instance;

"Healing fats are required to prevent and reverse so-called "incurable" degenerative disease: heart disease, cancer, and Type II diabetes. Healing fats help reverse arthritis, obesity, PMS, allergies, asthma, skin conditions, fatigue, yeast and fungal infections, addictions, certain types of mental Illness etc. Good fats also enhance athletic performance, skin beauty, longevity and energy levels"

This is going to be an interesting journey. I can't wait to see how he defines "Healing Fats"....23 years ago:)

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Nope
Animal fats, saturated = poison
Good, healthy unsaturated natural fats, not poison.
I seem to recall you criticising me for not adding that what I wrote was only my opinion..could I return the compliment here.
Regards...

Reactions: 4 people

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Ch 1: Fatty Degeneration:

The author has a healthy scepticism for the traditional medical GP, alerting us to the inadequacy of nutritional training, with a large emphasis on pharma drugs and nothing about the effects of processing fats and oils on human health.

Healing fats & killing fats:

"what kind of fat is it? How has it been treated? Is it fresh? Has it been exposed to light, oxygen, heat, hydrogen, water, acid, base, copper, iron? How old is it? How has it been used for good prep? How much was eaten? What balance of different fats do we get?"

To get to the root of Fatty Degeneration, he says we must also answer the following questions:

"What are they? How do they work? What do they do in our body? Where do we get them? How does our body use them? How do we process and alter them? Which ones can produce illness? How do we avoid the "killer fats"? Which ones enhance our health? Where do we find and how do we use the fats that heal?

Onto Chapter 2:)

Sent from my iPad using DCUK Forum

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Ch 2: "Foundations of Human Health"

Foods make bodies: "the entire human body is made from foods, water, air, and light".

"Food, water, air, and light properly chosen for nutrient content, purity (absence of interfering substances that we call toxins or poisons), biological compatibility (determined by genetic and biochemical weakness) and naturalness, must constitute primary health care. "

He then provides a headline overview of what he describes as the "50 Essential factors" that our bodies need and must come from our environment:

- 20 or 21 minerals - no idea why he has a range:)
- 8 amino acids - I am sure we now know of 9
- 2 essential fatty acids
- water
- oxygen
- light

Additionally he touches on the need for fibre, hydrochloride acid, bile and digestive enzymes that digest the food we eat.

OK so I've now flicked through....just 89 chapters to go:)

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ch 1: Fatty Degeneration:

The author has a healthy scepticism for the traditional medical GP, alerting us to the inadequacy of nutritional training, with a large emphasis on pharma drugs and nothing about the effects of processing fats and oils on human health.

Healing fats & killing fats:

"what kind of fat is it? How has it been treated? Is it fresh? Has it been exposed to light, oxygen, heat, hydrogen, water, acid, base, copper, iron? How old is it? How has it been used for good prep? How much was eaten? What balance of different fats do we get?"

To get to the root of Fatty Degeneration, he says we must also answer the following questions:

"What are they? How do they work? What do they do in our body? Where do we get them? How does our body use them? How do we process and alter them? Which ones can produce illness? How do we avoid the "killer fats"? Which ones enhance our health? Where do we find and how do we use the fats that heal?

Onto Chapter 2:)

This guy asks a lot of questions. Do you get the feeling he is ever going to get round to providing his answers? Or do we have to wait till chapter 10+ ? Hopefully this is only the abstract. You did warn us that it was the Intro, but the section title for CH1 seems to suggest it is specific to fat degeneration, but you have not indicated that it has more than just the questions shown in your post.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ch 2: "Foundations of Human Health"

Foods make bodies: "the entire human body is made from foods, water, air, and light".

"Food, water, air, and light properly chosen for nutrient content, purity (absence of interfering substances that we call toxins or poisons), biological compatibility (determined by genetic and biochemical weakness) and naturalness, must constitute primary health care. "

He then provides a headline overview of what he describes as the "50 Essential factors" that our bodies need and must come from our environment:

- 20 or 21 minerals - no idea why he has a range:)
- 8 amino acids - I am sure we now know of 9
- 2 essential fatty acids
- water
- oxygen
- light

Additionally he touches on the need for fibre, hydrochloride acid, bile and digestive enzymes that digest the food we eat.

OK so I've now flicked through....just 89 chapters to go:)

Am i reading this quote right? Light? That we photosynthesise? That light has to be pure? He's lost me already/ Also is he suggesting we need to partake of hydrochloride acid to function? I always thought this was something our body makes for itself. Anyway HCL is normally referred to as Hydrochloric acid ( or pedantically as hydrogen chloride). Yet again, we may need bile, but that is certainly something we produce, Same for the enzymes, that we synthesize as required. And that just leaves fibre as an external input that we require to apply in that list.

Where is this guy coming from? He sounds more like 250 years ago, rather than 25 years.

Last edited by a moderator:

lindisfel

Expert
Thanks Kevin I see it is a mammoth task. Already I get the impression there is a mystic element in his approach, rather like acuputure. This doesn't mean there is no merit in another (former?) medical model. regards
Derek

OK Derek, will do. I'll probs tackle it as a chapter by chapter précis...at least until I run out of steam:)

Reactions: 4 people

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My chapter précis are an abstract of each chapter. We'll see where he goes. I am but a few steps ahead of you:)

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Thanks Kevin I see it is a mammoth task. Already I get the impression there is a mystic element in his approach, rather like acuputure. This doesn't mean there is no merit in another (former?) medical model. regards
Derek

Yes, I do hope we don't get much more of the "mystical". The guy is a biochemist so I am hopeful and 200,000 copies were printed which is reasonable as a solid text book, but how many of them remain in his garage,who knows:)

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My chapter précis are an abstract of each chapter. We'll see where he goes. I am but a few steps ahead of you:)

Why do I get the idea you may be sceptic too? You already know the plot! For me this would be a book I speed read by placing it under my pillow when I sleep, to fully absorb the nuggets within

Edit to correct typo: buggets should read nuggets but not sure why I bothered, it fitted the quaintness of the matter as it stood.

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Why do I get the idea you may be sceptic too? You already know the plot! For me this would be a book I speed read by placing it under my pillow when I sleep, to fully absorb the nuggets within

Edit to correct typo: buggets should read nuggets but not sure why I bothered, it fitted the quaintness of the matter as it stood.

I'm not particularly sceptical, other than accepting the fact that st 23 years old, it has to be light in certain areas.

The reason I'm reading it is that over the course of talking to my sports therapist over several
weeks, I realised he knows a great deal more nutritionally that we within this community would expect.

His response was to keep referring to this text book which he studied from cover to cover when training and which he states, changed his life.

As an individual I respect and trust, I decided I'd like to read it.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm not particularly sceptical, other than accepting the fact that st 23 years old, it has to be light in certain areas.

The reason I'm reading it is that over the course of talking to my sports therapist over several
weeks, I realised he knows a great deal more nutritionally that we within this community would expect.

His response was to keep referring to this text book which he studied from cover to cover when training and which he states, changed his life.

As an individual I respect and trust, I decided I'd like to read it.

During my research into my condition, I read many articles and papers from the BodyBuilding, athletic, and fitness sources. I have to remind myself that they are catering for an entirely different set of requirements than I as a T2 diabetic (PWD) have. The constraints placed on them are quite different than those placed on my treatment. This leads to differing conclusions especially over diet and whats good for me. My IR means that some of these differences could result in harm to me, but are fine for normal fit people doing rigorous exercise.

I have become a bit innured to these articles, so do have a bias which will show in my postings here. I can see what you are trying to achieve, but I will continue to query things from a T2D perspective. I need to do this since this is a diabetes forum and not a general forum. I apologise if we find ourselves at loggerheads on occasions. You need to understand what your sports coach thinks and evaluate their advice in your own way, since you have to have a foot in both camps. I try to do the same with my GP and DCN.

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
During my research into my condition, I read many articles and papers from the BodyBuilding, athletic, and fitness sources. I have to remind myself that they are catering for an entirely different set of requirements than I as a T2 diabetic (PWD) have. The constraints placed on them are quite different than those placed on my treatment. This leads to differing conclusions especially over diet and whats good for me. My IR means that some of these differences could result in harm to me, but are fine for normal fit people doing rigorous exercise.

I have become a bit innured to these articles, so do have a bias which will show in my postings here. I can see what you are trying to achieve, but I will continue to query things from a T2D perspective. I need to do this since this is a diabetes forum and not a general forum. I apologise if we find ourselves at loggerheads on occasions. You need to understand what your sports coach thinks and evaluate their advice in your own way, since you have to have a foot in both camps. I try to do the same with my GP and DCN.

I like your approach and invariably appreciate and am prompted to think more deeply by your contributions.

So press on @Oldvatr:)

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
As iron sharpens iron one man sharpens the face of another.

Yes....that corruption of Proverbs is spot in for this "light" little discourse:)

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Preamble to Ch 3:

"Face Fats! components of fats, oils, cholesterol"

Ch 3 will tackle the task of looking at molecules and the effects of solid fats,liquid oils, and cholesterol and their impact on human health.

A few simple definitions are provided before stepping into Ch 3, namely:

Fats, oils, cholesterol are collectively called "lipids" by chemists.

Lipids also include fatty acids, the main building blocks of fats and oils.

Phospholipids, from which the barrier (membrane) that surrounds and protects our cells is made.

Alkylycerols are described separately.

Chemists call fats and oils triglycerides because they consist of three (tri) fatty acid molecules joined to a glycerol molecule.

Chemists call lipids found in cell membranes phospholipids because a chemical arrangement of elements phosphorus and oxygen called phosphate, snd two fatty acids (lipids) are attached to glycerol.

Onto Ch 3