Fats

S

serenity648

Sounds spot on, but you also need to keep an eye out for dairy allergies, which is becoming more common nowadays as well.

are you referring to me personally? It is sounding more and more like you are the person trying to scare me about fats.
lets not go off on yet another tangent of worry-mongering , hmmmm?

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes - what I am pointing out is that you have been generalizing your individual results (I) and stating them as universal ("we").

At the risk of repeating myself, as I said earlier, 'we' being the plural, as if you read the thread, there are more than one of us we don't eat saturated fats, and more than one of us that appears to react badly to saturated fats, so it seems reasonable to correctly use the plural, rather than incorrectly give it a different meaning.

Reactions: 2 people

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
are you referring to me personally? It is sounding more and more like you are the person trying to scare me about fats.
lets not go off on yet another tangent of worry-mongering , hmmmm?

I would doubt you are the only person who may, or may not be allergic to dairy.
Let's not assume no one else is? eh?
Or there are no other quality fats that can be eaten?
Seems to be a complete rut LCHF is stuck in now,
Its high fat - any fat, not just saturated dairy.

Last edited by a moderator:
S

serenity648

I would doubt you are the only person who may, or may not be allergic to dairy.
Let's not assume no one else is? eh?
Or there are no other quality fats that can be eaten?
Seems to be a complete rut LCHF is stuck in now,
Its high fat - any fat, not just saturated dairy.

You replied to ME. Therefore it is reasonable to assume you were referring to ME. And I have no idea what you mean by your last sentence. It neither makes sense, or appears relevant to any other posts here. No-one, to my knowledge, on this thread, has made any mention of dairy being superior or more recommended, than any other saturated fat.

I am bewildered but determined not to engage any further in a straw argument or red herring. I have made my summary, and am off to follow it. You (the personal YOU) may have dairy issues. I (the personal I) do not. And, as you directed your comment in answer to me, that is all that is relevant right now.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
so the bottom line is:

saturated fats are good for some people, bad for others, middling for others etc. And I wont know, until I try out different amounts and types of fats, how they will affect me.

1) It is its OK to try eating full fat and saturated fats for a period of time, it wont do any major harm in the short term, until I know whether they are OK for me personally.

2) The blanket negativity on saturated fats, from the media and NHS, is not necessarily accurate and should not scare me, or anyone else, into trying them in the short term to see what happens to my good, bad and trig cholesterol level.

3) Some people caution others against trying different levels and types of fats because they, personally, have had a negative cholesterol reaction from them, and so are highlighting that possibility to others.

Have I got all that right?
Pretty spot on!!-lol!!

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Thanks Phoenix for the bedtime reading!!
Been put on Letrozole now and tolerating it but see its got the warnings of raising cholesterol, DVT and thrombosis.

Interesting programme last night with Angela Ripon And a Dr... And an area of really healthy people that don't have meat!! -lol!! (Tongue in cheek-please don't condemn me!! )

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You replied to ME. Therefore it is reasonable to assume you were referring to ME. And I have no idea what you mean by your last sentence. It neither makes sense, or appears relevant to any other posts here. No-one, to my knowledge, on this thread, has made any mention of dairy being superior or more recommended, than any other saturated fat.

I am bewildered but determined not to engage any further in a straw argument or red herring. I have made my summary, and am off to follow it. You (the personal YOU) may have dairy issues. I (the personal I) do not. And, as you directed your comment in answer to me, that is all that is relevant right now.

No doubt you must have intended your summary to be specific to only you in that case, not a general summary.
In which case I will change my comment on your summary, to, sounds spot on for you personally.

S

serenity648

No doubt you must have intended your summary to be specific to only you in that case, not a general summary.
In which case I will change my comment on your summary, to, sounds spot on for you personally.

My use of the word "I" in my post may have alerted you to that fact that I was speaking personally. I cannot speak for anyone else. The summary is what I, personally, have gleaned from the information in this thread.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I'm in the "we" bunch with SunnyExpat...

Reactions: 2 people

Pollylocks

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not many.
We're all individual aren't we....I can eat rice with no ill effects, most can't. I can't eat potatoes, some can. And plenty of other foods besides.

Its difficult to know whether saturated fats are a yes or a no , none of us eat them on their own, we eat them as part of whatever meal at the time and all the other ingredients will have or not have an impact. But that's just my opinion , can we not accept that all our opinions will differ :confused:

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm getting so confused about what I should/should not eat! I need to lose weight and have cut out out saturated fats. Even taken to 0% Greek Yoghurt. But a recent video from Louise says unprocessed fats are good for you! And recommends full fat food including butter/cheese and meat fat, as well as chicken skin. All the foods my nurse told me were bad for me! What is the right advise?
Having read through this thread, and noticing you have not responded further, @peterhanna1 , I am guessing that you are more confused than you were when you posted your question.

When I first encountered the 'eat fat message' a few years ago, it was a difficult concept to get my head around. After all, the advice from HCPs had been just the opposite, and that advice I had been following for some 30+ years. The low fat carbs with every meal diet had made me very fat, and diabetic. As some have pointed out here, the standard NHS advice is based on outdated, and flawed research.

If you are following the Low Carb programme here, then would you be able to complete the full programme, following the advice and action points? Not forgetting that during the programme your meter will tell you all you need to know about how various foods are affecting your blood glucose levels. Then reassess at the end. I understand that seems alien, the low fat 'healthy carbs' message is so ingrained.

Good luck with it, and please do come back and post about your progress. We all learn from each other, you see.