Fats

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm sure no one is disagreeing that the correct fats don't affect cholesterol.
What we are finding, as a fact, not an opinion, is that saturated fats affect our cholesterol, and we don't intend to eat it, when we don't need to.
So, for those of us that decide to keep saturated fats low, it should be respected that it is perfectly fine to eat that way on LCHF as well.
Hi. Do you have any really reliable research stuff that indicates sat fats do increase cholesterol in some way? I'm not saying they do or don't but with so much junk info around relating to statins, clogged arteries and so I'd really like to form a valid view bearing in mind that the liver makes many of the decisions on what is pushed around the body and any fat has to go thru a complex path in the body to reach the liver and each fat type breaks down into different constituent parts.

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Interestingly, I'm now having the ultimate superfood for joint pain.

A nice tin of my favourite cod livers.

Every 100g drained weight is 40g of fat, of which only 5.9 is saturated.
Only 2.9g of carbs, and 7.2 g protein.

OK, it's a massive 400 calories, for a very light meal, and for better and worse, it's going with a nice salad, but the cod liver oil from the tin will be drizzled over that salad.

So, better for cholesterol.
Better for the joints.
For me, win win.

If you need to eat saturated fats, by all means do so, but there is a better choice for others.

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi. Do you have any really reliable research stuff that indicates sat fats do increase cholesterol in some way? I'm not saying they do or don't but with so much junk info around relating to statins, clogged arteries and so I'd really like to form a valid view bearing in mind that the liver makes many of the decisions on what is pushed around the body and any fat has to go thru a complex path in the body to reach the liver and each fat type breaks down into different constituent parts.

I don't need it.
Do you have any reliable research that proves my body is exactly the same as yours, and saturated fats will affect me in exactly the same way, rather than the way they actually do, and can you prove it enough for my liver to believe as well?
Until then, I'm going to have to keep my liver happy.

It does appear I'm not alone, and my liver has other livers that act in the same way, judging by other posts in this thread as well.

I suppose it's equally valid to flip the question, and ask if there is valid data that specifically eating saturated fats, rather than other good fats, is actually beneficial to cholesterol, if all other aspects of the diet are the same?
If there is no data, what's the benefit of saturated fats specifically?

Reactions: 2 people

bobrobert

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Interestingly, I'm now having the ultimate superfood for joint pain.

A nice tin of my favourite cod livers.

Every 100g drained weight is 40g of fat, of which only 5.9 is saturated.
Only 2.9g of carbs, and 7.2 g protein.

OK, it's a massive 400 calories, for a very light meal, and for better and worse, it's going with a nice salad, but the cod liver oil from the tin will be drizzled over that salad.

So, better for cholesterol.
Better for the joints.
For me, win win.

If you need to eat saturated fats, by all means do so, but there is a better choice for others.

I don't NEED to eat saturated fats I WANT to and so do many others in the thread.:)

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I don't NEED to eat saturated fats I WANT to and so do many others in the thread.:)

So, we agree, saturated fats aren't necessary.
I think that's where we came in?

(I used to be the same with carbs, but I broke that habit)

bobrobert

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

(I used to be the same with carbs, but I broke that habit)

Neither are Cod Livers....but you are singing their praises?

Like others, avoid saturated fats if you can. Many will disagree, but it doesn't mean it works for all.

That is where you came in.....preaching the evil's of saturated fats.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No it's not. Yet again you are turning a thread into your own personal argument. This is about the OP, not you. The OP asked:-

I'm getting so confused about what I should/should not eat! I need to lose weight and have cut out out saturated fats. Even taken to 0% Greek Yoghurt. But a recent video from Louise says unprocessed fats are good for you! And recommends full fat food including butter/cheese and meat fat, as well as chicken skin. All the foods my nurse told me were bad for me! What is the right advise?

In other words 'Is the nurse right that saturated fats are bad?' Emphatically NO! She is not right, this is very old science and is simply wrong.

@peterhanna1 Follow what Louise says, a lot of research has gone into those videos. There is nothing wrong with eating sat fats if you want to do so. Many of us find that they fill us up more so it is easier to reduce carbs if you include saturated fats in your diet. I hope we will all agree that reducing carbs to a level that sees you reaching normal BG levels is the right thing to do. If you become hungry then add a few fats (just not the artificial, man-made low fat spreads)

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You say 'many' re-reading the thread, only yourself and bobrobert appear to be the ones eating saturated fat, the rest of us seem to manage to successfully avoid it, so the op has the answer.

We all agree we need quality fats, we all agree saturated fats are a 'want' not a 'need'

No argument from me there.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You say 'many' re-reading the thread, only yourself and bobrobert appear to be the ones eating saturated fat, the rest of us seem to manage to successfully avoid it, so the op has the answer.

We all agree we need quality fats, we all agree saturated fats are a 'want' not a 'need'

No we don't all agree. The official low carb program on this site disagrees with you. This program was made after consulting with 20,000 T2s I believe? @Administrator

bobrobert

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

If you read the thread from the beginning then you will see that Zand, Daibell and Kristin251 admit to eating saturated fat.

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If you read the thread from the beginning then you will see that Zand, Daibell and Kristin251 admit to eating saturated fat.

Er, ok, whatever you say.

'I am another one that keeps saturated fat low. '

I am another one that keeps saturated fat low. I will eat a 100% grass fed burger or lamb occasionally but in small quantities. Avocado olive oil olives and nuts are my main fats. I don't gob them but I don't skimp. Saturated fat can have more of an effect on blood sugar than plant fats and I find this to be true. It will raise me higher and I will stay higher. A life saving fat for me is avocado smashed with sea salt. I eat one a day. I eat it throughout the day with celery. Very satisfying. Olive oil for salad dressing and nuts / seeds for snacks. Fat does tend to make up 80% of my diet but that's easy to do with a whole avocado, a medium salad dressed with a normal portion of oil and a few nuts. I don't eat large portions of protein either and under 20 g carbs. BS is very steady and low.

I agree that taking carbs out of the diet is what lowers CHO, not saturated fat.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@SunnyExpat I'm not sure why you're banging on about this. Are you trying to sabotage the low carb program
which has already helped very many people ? The OPs question was basically "Can I eat sat fats and lose weight?" The answer is YES you can.

There's other threads that require replies you know. I'm sure (as a man) your expertise on this one would be welcomed since I am the only respondent so far. http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/diabetes-control-masturbation-and-anxiety.99314/

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think the op will be fine, assessing the quality of the fats, (and the quality of the answers it appears).
I think for a newly diagnosed, they've got the feel for the forum now.

bobrobert

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think the op will be fine, assessing the quality of the fats, (and the quality of the answers it appears).
I think for a newly diagnosed, they've got the feel for the forum now.

I think you have now dug a hole for yourself that you are finding difficult to clamber out of?

Reactions: 2 people

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
https://drmalcolmkendrick.org/books-by-dr-malcolm-kendrick/the-great-cholesterol-con/

Written a few years ago but is probably still relevant. He was a GP.
Hi thanks for the link. I've not read Malcolm's Cholesterol book but have read his 'Doctoring Data' which should be essential reading for everyone having read on another forum this week who the people were involved in the recent revision of the Eatwell Plate (now the Eatwell Guide); the Food industry of course. Yes, I do eat sat fats. I understand all fats except Trans fats have good food value but you don't have to have the whole lot of course.

bobrobert

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi thanks for the link. I've not read Malcolm's Cholesterol book but have read his 'Doctoring Data' which should be essential reading for everyone having read on another forum this week who the people were involved in the recent revision of the Eatwell Plate (now the Eatwell Guide); the Food industry of course. Yes, I do eat sat fats. I understand all fats except Trans fats have good food value but you don't have to have the whole lot of course.

It is worth a read. An open mind is needed and as to the amount of fats then "moderation" is wise. The Inuit people didn't know what "moderation" was and they thrived on it. Most now live in the cities deprived of their meat, riddled with modern diseases such as drugs, diabetes, heart problems, overweight etc etc.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inuit_diet

RoseofSharon

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
To the OP: fats are not anything to be afraid of. I'm not convinced yet on whether one type of fat is better or worse than another. I personally do eat saturated fats (chemically speaking they're much more stable, especially if cooking in fat). A good stable fat is a necessity as Unstable fats that are exposed to heat can become carcinogenic.

Last edited by a moderator:
S

serenity648

as a newly diagnosed, the feel i have got for the forum is that, no matter what some people say, another will come along and argue against it, often in a defensive and/or confrontational way, and leave confusion and unpleasantness in their wake. I have some straightforward questions about fats:

do humans, or do they not, need saturated fats in their diet?

what is being defined as saturated fat?

what are the alternative safe fats I can eat?

thanks @peterhanna1 for starting this thread : )

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
do humans, or do they not, need saturated fats in their diet?

what is being defined as saturated fat?

what are the alternative safe fats I can eat?

thanks @peterhanna1 for starting this thread : )

Yes we need a very small amount of saturated fat in our diet. I remember reading a while back that if we don't consume any sat fats at all then our bodies try to replicate it by making an inferior substitute.

I would define sat cooking fats as those that are solid at room temperatures ie butter and lard. Animal products, cream, cheese, whole milk, fatty meats, coconut oil and palm kernel oil are sat fats.

Sat fats are safe. Foods containing unsaturated fats such as avocado, fish oil, olive oil, nuts and seeds are fine too.

Trans fats are to be avoided, they are mostly found in processed or fast foods, though not all processed foods will have them.

Low fat spreads aren't good, they contain artificial ingredients. Butter is better. The problem with manufactured low fat products like yoghurt is that they usually contain more carbs than the full fat version.

There was something else I was going to say, but it has escaped my mind now and I'm going to press reply because my PC has shut itself down 3 times whilst trying to post this. :( I'm sure others can fill in the things I have missed. :)

Reactions: 4 people