Hello from Canada

Marko723

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello,

My name is Mark, I just joined. I was diagnosed with type 2 on June 9 of this year. I haven't been feeling well for about a year, low energy, muscle cramps in my back and neck, especially when sleeping at night. Symptoms would come and go, but started to get more frequent over the last 2-3 months. Finally found a doctor accepting new patients. After fasting my number was 13.8, that first test. On 500mg Metformin twice a day now.

Spent many hours searching the web and reading on carbs, types of food. Still experimenting on my diet, but happy to say I've been keeping my morning fasting numbers under 7.5, with the majority in the mid to high 6's. Pretty much going with mostly raw veggies, meats, carbs from grains limited the whole wheat wraps. I miss some foods, like pasta. Was never really a sweets person, but loved my carbs. Diet has been a bit of an adjustment, but luckily I'm also a raw veggie fan too.

Read lots on the Atkins diet, but it seems unhealthy to me. Found some juicing sites, liked the idea and benefits of raw veggies they talked about, but not the idea of throwing out all the pulp...etc, so I figured my best option was to just wash and eat the veggies. Most meals are about 50% raw veggies and 50% protein from meats...etc. right now, except for breakfast. I start the day with either eggs or a green smoothie (spinach, milk, peanut butter, Greek yogurt, frozen strawberries or banana). Hope to look more into complex carbs such as chick peas, beans...etc. I tried some early on, and found spikes in my morning fasting tests. Figure I need to take my time and add them slowly after a bit more time. Feeling better these days!

Haven't been able to locate a forum in Canada, and the American sites use their own number system, hope to hang out here. Sorry about my rambling on.... :)

- What is your name?
My name is Mark
- How old are you?
I'm 47
- Are you male or female?
Male
- Which country are you from?
Canada
- Microsoft or Apple?
MS, Apple, and Linux

duranton1970

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hello,

My name is Mark, I just joined. I was diagnosed with type 2 on June 9 of this year. I haven't been feeling well for about a year, low energy, muscle cramps in my back and neck, especially when sleeping at night. Symptoms would come and go, but started to get more frequent over the last 2-3 months. Finally found a doctor accepting new patients. After fasting my number was 13.8, that first test. On 500mg Metformin twice a day now.

Spent many hours searching the web and reading on carbs, types of food. Still experimenting on my diet, but happy to say I've been keeping my morning fasting numbers under 7.5, with the majority in the mid to high 6's. Pretty much going with mostly raw veggies, meats, carbs from grains limited the whole wheat wraps. I miss some foods, like pasta. Was never really a sweets person, but loved my carbs. Diet has been a bit of an adjustment, but luckily I'm also a raw veggie fan too.

Read lots on the Atkins diet, but it seems unhealthy to me. Found some juicing sites, liked the idea and benefits of raw veggies they talked about, but not the idea of throwing out all the pulp...etc, so I figured my best option was to just wash and eat the veggies. Most meals are about 50% raw veggies and 50% protein from meats...etc. right now, except for breakfast. I start the day with either eggs or a green smoothie (spinach, milk, peanut butter, Greek yogurt, frozen strawberries or banana). Hope to look more into complex carbs such as chick peas, beans...etc. I tried some early on, and found spikes in my morning fasting tests. Figure I need to take my time and add them slowly after a bit more time. Feeling better these days!

Haven't been able to locate a forum in Canada, and the American sites use their own number system, hope to hang out here. Sorry about my rambling on.... :)

- What is your name?
My name is Mark
- How old are you?
I'm 47
Male
Canada
- Microsoft or Apple?
MS, Apple, and Linux

duranton1970

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hello Mark, I have been type 1 for 47 years. I find, if not careful, diabetes can take over your life. Once you have mastered which carb suits your
body ( if flour intolerant especially ) and being able to asses number of carbs in an item when dining out, it will fall in place. Illness, stress etc etc
does make a difference but live with it and try not to involve everyone you come in contact with, unless of course they can offer advice, tips and
suggestions who might help. It is a long term disease, if you are sensible you should cope well. I have friends I have known for 10 years and
more and they do not know of my diabetes, they have no need to. Not preaching honest, just trying to help you live a life you enjoy. P.S. I live in Spain now which is much hotter than U.K, where I come from, but I manage in the heat.

Marko723

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello Mark, I have been type 1 for 47 years. I find, if not careful, diabetes can take over your life. Once you have mastered which carb suits your
body ( if flour intolerant especially ) and being able to asses number of carbs in an item when dining out, it will fall in place. Illness, stress etc etc
does make a difference but live with it and try not to involve everyone you come in contact with, unless of course they can offer advice, tips and
suggestions who might help. It is a long term disease, if you are sensible you should cope well. I have friends I have known for 10 years and
more and they do not know of my diabetes, they have no need to. Not preaching honest, just trying to help you live a life you enjoy. P.S. I live in Spain now which is much hotter than U.K, where I come from, but I manage in the heat.

Hello,

Nice to meet you, also nice to see there is an international level to the memberships. Just realize I forgot to include in my original post that I'm type 2. I'm also on 250mg of Ramipril for my BP, which is also dropping to near normal levels.

Really glad I don't have to give up my coffee! But I have stopped having a shot a good scotch now and then. Hope I can still enjoy that down the road from time to time.

Mark

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hello,

- What is your name?
My name is Mark
- How old are you?
I'm 47
Male
Canada
- Microsoft or Apple?
MS, Apple, and Linux

Hello and welcome to the forum Mark. There are a lot of helpful members here so anything you would like to know, just ask:) ps it would be nice to have you 'hanging out here' lol with best wishes

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Hi Mark and welcome to the forum :)

Here is the information we give to new members and I hope you will find it useful especially as it gives links to a lot of information about carbs. Ask all the questions you need to and someone will be able to help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you’ll find over 100,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.
There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:

• Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates

Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

Another option is to replace ‘white carbohydrates’ (such as white bread, white rice, white flour etc) with whole grain varieties. The idea behind having whole grain varieties is that the carbohydrates get broken down slower than the white varieties –and these are said to have a lower glycaemic index.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/food/diabetes-and-whole-grains.html

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to bloodglucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

Marko723

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks daisy1.

The hardest part I found when starting out was to find 'the good numbers' of where I should be during the day, and not just my fasting numbers.

A

Avocado Sevenfold

Do you get a good reading after a breakfast smoothie containing banana and milk? (It would send me back to sleep!)

Marko723

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Haven't taken a reading, as I usually pour it in a 'to-go' container and head out the door to work. 20 mins later, I'm at my desk, and It usually takes me about an hour of sipping it to fully consume it. Have to remember to pack my meter one day and see what the numbers say. I do know that I don't feel any ill effects, in fact I have more energy. I know if I was to have pasta, I feel that within 20 mins.

I think it must be pretty balanced, as there is 2 table spoons of peanut butter and 2 huge handfuls of spinach

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Do remember that when you go lchf your blood pressure drops drastically, so keep an eye on that - you may well have to give up the Ramipril. And that can only be good.
Welcome by the way.

Marko723

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Do remember that when you go lchf your blood pressure drops drastically, so keep an eye on that - you may well have to give up the Ramipril. And that can only be good.
Welcome by the way.

I'm cool with dropping Ramipril. My BP 4 weeks ago was 190/96 ( in the DR office, bit of white coat hypertension too). Lately relaxing at home I'm down to around 124/70.

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
That's a good reading then.

this is too difficult

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
diabetes
Welcome by the way.
That's news. Will have to watch out for that as I have always had fairly low blood pressure.

this is too difficult

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
diabetes
I would certainly say you should test a few times after bananas and milk. That would give me a very high reading. The peanut butter and spinach don't reduce the carbs.

Reactions: 2 people

Marko723

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I would certainly say you should test a few times after bananas and milk. That would give me a very high reading. The peanut butter and spinach don't reduce the carbs.

Okay... My curiosity is peaked. My reading right now is 5.3. I made a smoothie, and plan on sipping it for the next 20 mins. How long should I wait to test my levels?

this is too difficult

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
diabetes
Okay... My curiosity is peaked. My reading right now is 5.3. I made a smoothie, and plan on sipping it for the next 20 mins. How long should I wait to test my levels?

If money is no object?
As often as you can.
But probably one hour, one and a half hours and two hours should tell you a lot. These times are from the first mouthful.