Hello from Canada

this is too difficult

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
diabetes
Nice, looks like I have a goal in front of me. Do you mind sharing the menu to give me some insight?

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App
Just very few carbs.
4 or 5 rashers of bacon
Fry till slightly crisp.
Add 1 clove of chopped garlic.
fry till slightly coloured.
Add about 25 grams of parmesan.
Enough double cream to make a thick sauce.
One courgette cut into spaghetti strips by using a julienne cutter or a spiral cutter.

Marko723

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just very few carbs.
4 or 5 rashers of bacon
Fry till slightly crisp.
Add 1 clove of chopped garlic.
fry till slightly coloured.
Add about 25 grams of parmesan.
Enough double cream to make a thick sauce.
One courgette cut into spaghetti strips by using a julienne cutter or a spiral cutter.

Was the courgette (had to google this and find what we call it across the pond) added to the pan and heated through? Sounds delicious. Love garlic an onions too.

Marko723

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Mark - check out this very interesting film which is free to watch until 4th July. It might interest you as you say you think Atkins is unhealthy (I used to think that too to be honest. It is bred into us these days)

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2014/06/28/cereal-killers-movie.aspx

Thanks I'll give it a watch.

I've very briefly explored the diet and tried it to some extent. Haven't ruled out an augmented version with higher daily carbs (70g vs their less than 30g). My system needs more fibre and the suggestion of getting it from a powder mixed in a glass of water didn't seem 'right'. I'm mostly trying add carbs and fibre in my diet with vegetables and the odd piece of fruit.

Marko723

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Mark - check out this very interesting film which is free to watch until 4th July. It might interest you as you say you think Atkins is unhealthy (I used to think that too to be honest. It is bred into us these days)

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2014/06/28/cereal-killers-movie.aspx

I've also started reading this book
http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/saturated-fat/the-best-low-carb-book-in-print/

Have to make some time to pick it up again. With summer here, free time is a luxury.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks I'll give it a watch.

I've very briefly explored the diet and tried it to some extent. Haven't ruled out an augmented version with higher daily carbs (70g vs their less than 30g). My system needs more fibre and the suggestion of getting it from a powder mixed in a glass of water didn't seem 'right'. I'm mostly trying add carbs and fibre in my diet with vegetables and the odd piece of fruit.

70g might work for you, your meter will tell you. Also google dietdoctor for info on lchf diet

I hate iPhone apps

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
No, I don't discriminate, I hate all apps and the net on phones, my laptop/notebook is down
In a nut shell, cut grain/product and replace calories with fat

Marko723

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
No, I don't discriminate, I hate all apps and the net on phones, my laptop/notebook is down
In a nut shell, cut grain/product and replace calories with fat

Good thing I'm using a tablet. I'll agree with you on the phone part, I just can't adapt to such a small screen. And there are many times when a mouse and a real key board are a must.

Watched the movie that was suggested above. Leaning more towards that now. My initial quick look at the Atkins seemed to have next to no veggies. Perhaps I to quickly misjudged... In the video I observed him eating a nice balance of food, minus the grain carbs. I think I need to educate myself more, and keep an open mind.

Right now most of my carbs are coming from vegetables, with 4-5 wraps in a week instead of bread for a sandwich. Think my next step is to cut back on milk and wraps a bit more. I'd like to keep the fruits in for now, as I only have 4 -5 pieces a week.

A

Avocado Sevenfold

Good thing I'm using a tablet. I'll agree with you on the phone part, I just can't adapt to such a small screen. And there are many times when a mouse and a real key board are a must.

Watched the movie that was suggested above. Leaning more towards that now. My initial quick look at the Atkins seemed to have next to no veggies. Perhaps I to quickly misjudged... In the video I observed him eating a nice balance of food, minus the grain carbs. I think I need to educate myself more, and keep an open mind.

Right now most of my carbs are coming from vegetables, with 4-5 wraps in a week instead of bread for a sandwich. Think my next step is to cut back on milk and wraps a bit more. I'd like to keep the fruits in for now, as I only have 4 -5 pieces a week.

LCHF doesn't have to be all steak and lard. I follow it and am vegetarian. Plenty of veg :)

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf
This is a good page to read and watch the videos on it
Getting carbs from veg is right, beans and lentils are good too

Can you bothered to bake your bread
Also google potato replacement for collie mash

Marko723

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf
This is a good page to read and watch the videos on it
Getting carbs from veg is right, beans and lentils are good too

Can you bothered to bake your bread
Also google potato replacement for collie mash

Thanks, I've book marked it and plan on spending some time on it. I've baked many a loaf in the past, but since we had kids, the time wasn't there. Now that they are older, I should be able to on the odd weekend.

Thank you

Marko723

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Agreed. I have been making "9: healthy subway" and it is amazingly like real bread while being very low carb.

It doesn't long to make...in fact you shouldn't knead it or play around with it, just add the boiling water and sling it in the oven. I have made bread rolls and also a loaf. Used only half the salt.

I've never been a big bread person, so cutting it from my diet over the last few weeks hasn't had much of an impact. But having said that, nothing beats a nice sour dough right from the oven. Also enjoy a nice crusty bread and using an infused olive oil (with herbs) and drizzling balsamic vinegar in the oil, then dipping the bread in the mix. This would probably work with with these breads as well.

Long term side goal would be to influence the wife and kids to eat healthier. Fresh bread might help. Right now my wife is looking at me, not saying much, but I can see on her face, that this looks like a prison sentance. Personally, I'm enjoying it! Partly because I used to eat lots of veggies and grew up eating full fat items. Hate to say it, but most of my bad habits started in the last decade.

Last edited by a moderator:

this is too difficult

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
diabetes
I've never been a big bread person, so cutting it from my diet over the last few weeks hasn't had much of an impact. But having said that, nothing beats a nice sour dough right from the oven. Also enjoy a nice crusty bread and using an infused olive oil (with herbs) and drizzling balsamic vinegar in the oil. This would probably with with these breads as well.

Long term side goal would be to influence the wife and kids to eat healthier. Fresh bread might help. Right now my wife is looking at me, not saying much, but I can see on her face, that this looks like a prison sentance. Personally, I'm enjoying it! Partly because I used to eat lots of veggies and grew up eating full fat items. Hate to say it, but most of my bad habits started in the last decade.

The first thing I thought when I was it Garlic bread.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The LC gluten powder is a must have to give wheat flour texture
Whole almonds and Coconut desiccated can be food processored for flour