How much weight have YOU lost?

Thomd999

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I was diagnosed in feb 2013 and i was 115kg now i am down to 88kg i am hoping to loose another 16kg in the next year

Reactions: 4 people

adrian207

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
1st Feb................................ 81kgs (12st 11lbs)
16th Feb..............................76kgs (11st 13lbs)
My target weight by the end of this month (another 12 days) is 70kgs (11st 0lbs)

Janiept

Expert
My target weight by the end of this month (another 12 days) is 70kgs (11st 0lbs)
You're losing weight really fast Adrian. Are you eating enough?
Only ask because I have been there, done that and got the t-shirt and have a wrecked body to show for it.

Reactions: 2 people

adrian207

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Only ask because I have been there, done that and got the t-shirt and have a wrecked body to show for it.
You wouldn't believe the amount I eat Janiept. My problem is and it's not so much a problem as such, is that I had a heart attack in Nov and was also diagnosed type 2 at the same time. So yes go on a LCHF for the diabetes BUT the HF doesn't do my heart any good. Catch 22!!
I have been rigourously testing different foods with my monitor and find that I can juggle the LC and HF in such a way that my Bs levels are between 5 and 8 most of the time and that includes the more than odd goodie thrown in. The secret is loads of walking to get the HF down while still keeping the LC going. The reason I am losing the weight is purely down to my BMI. I was overweight for my height and because of the heart attack needed to lose some weight. With the LCHF diet, this was impossible as I wasn't treating my heart healthily and of course things like Shredded Wheat, Weetabix, Bran cereal etc is frowned upon by diabetics but a must for me I'm afraid. My cholesterol is 1.2, my blood pressure this morning was 101/67 79bpm, so I'm trying to keep everything under control as much as I can.
Below is a chart in Exel that I keep daily records on of Blood pressure, heart rate and weight loss. I only just bought the Heart rate monitor a few days ago.
chart.JPG

monkehwife

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Amazing effort, well done! How have your blood sugar level tests responded?
My blood sugars dropped dramatically from high 20s to normal range and my insulin requirements just under halved :) the biggest pat on the back for me personally was my levemir going from 55units down to 36 I was proud as punch with that. However I feel I lost too much weight as I looked gaunt and tired, so now after gaining a stone I look and more importantly feel much better than I ever have before. In that sense diabetes has made me healthier than I probably ever have been.

Reactions: 7 people

msmi1970

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Exactly 6 months in on LCHF..blood sugar a little off after my short break (as i posted elsewhere) BUT on the plus side, have lost 55lbs. Still a long, long way to go..meantime, thanks to everyone on this Board who have taken the time to give me so much valuable advice..really appreciate it!!

Reactions: 3 people

vit90

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My blood sugars dropped dramatically from high 20s to normal range and my insulin requirements just under halved :) the biggest pat on the back for me personally was my levemir going from 55units down to 36 I was proud as punch with that. However I feel I lost too much weight as I looked gaunt and tired, so now after gaining a stone I look and more importantly feel much better than I ever have before. In that sense diabetes has made me healthier than I probably ever have been.

Lots of people are concerned about the way I look since losing just over a stone before Christmas and I'm 20kg down from my high of 8-9 years ago. But I need to lose at least another stone. People notice facial features the most and that has changed the most for me but I know there is more to lose around my middle.

vit90

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Exactly 6 months in on LCHF..blood sugar a little off after my short break (as i posted elsewhere) BUT on the plus side, have lost 55lbs. Still a long, long way to go..meantime, thanks to everyone on this Board who have taken the time to give me so much valuable advice..really appreciate it!!

I had a disappointing test this morning 12 hours after my last meal - 6.5; I tested twice as the first blood blob was a little on the small side but both were 6.5. I had already planned to restart my Newcastle style diet today as some foody social engagements were completed yesterday, so I have a free run for 2-3 weeks. My aim is to lose 10lbs in three weeks. I feel rather like Richard Doughty who has documented his experience in some national papers, for example:

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2013/may/12/type-2-diabetes-diet-cure

My BMI is just inside the normal range but I think I need one more push to get things optimised and to bust that visceral fat out. So one egg and a piece of bacon for breakfast this morning - 200 calories and some home made coleslaw made with home made mayo coming up for lunch, etc.... :)

vit90

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

13lbs in 12 days is too much in my book. 1lb every other day is what I am aiming for on 800 calories a day (Newcastle diet).

vit90

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You wouldn't believe the amount I eat Janiept. My problem is and it's not so much a problem as such, is that I had a heart attack in Nov and was also diagnosed type 2 at the same time. So yes go on a LCHF for the diabetes BUT the HF doesn't do my heart any good. Catch 22!!
I have been rigourously testing different foods with my monitor and find that I can juggle the LC and HF in such a way that my Bs levels are between 5 and 8 most of the time and that includes the more than odd goodie thrown in. The secret is loads of walking to get the HF down while still keeping the LC going. The reason I am losing the weight is purely down to my BMI. I was overweight for my height and because of the heart attack needed to lose some weight. With the LCHF diet, this was impossible as I wasn't treating my heart healthily and of course things like Shredded Wheat, Weetabix, Bran cereal etc is frowned upon by diabetics but a must for me I'm afraid. My cholesterol is 1.2, my blood pressure this morning was 101/67 79bpm, so I'm trying to keep everything under control as much as I can.
Below is a chart in Exel that I keep daily records on of Blood pressure, heart rate and weight loss. I only just bought the Heart rate monitor a few days ago.
View attachment 11842

Which cholesterol measure is the 1.2? It's tricky but many report LCHF improves their blood lipid profile, sometimes dramatically. If you want soluble fibre to help with your cholesterol than there are plenty of alternatives to conventional carb-rich cereals; lots of veg and salad, nuts and I have just discovered milled linseed (flax seed).

msmi1970

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had a disappointing test this morning 12 hours after my last meal - 6.5; I tested twice as the first blood blob was a little on the small side but both were 6.5. I had already planned to restart my Newcastle style diet today as some foody social engagements were completed yesterday, so I have a free run for 2-3 weeks. My aim is to lose 10lbs in three weeks. I feel rather like Richard Doughty who has documented his experience in some national papers, for example:

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2013/may/12/type-2-diabetes-diet-cure

My BMI is just inside the normal range but I think I need one more push to get things optimised and to bust that visceral fat out. So one egg and a piece of bacon for breakfast this morning - 200 calories and some home made coleslaw made with home made mayo coming up for lunch, etc.... :)

Good luck Vit!! i am stuck with two more extended "social breaks". Although i stick to LCHF during that time, nothing good ever comes out..so, grin & bear it. Soon as it's over, i am going to start exercising & hopefully that will rejuvenate my efforts. Hope the Newcastle diet works out for you!!

vit90

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good luck Vit!! i am stuck with two more extended "social breaks". Although i stick to LCHF during that time, nothing good ever comes out..so, grin & bear it. Soon as it's over, i am going to start exercising & hopefully that will rejuvenate my efforts. Hope the Newcastle diet works out for you!!

Yes I have stuck to LCHF all along with just a small number of minor exceptions since mid-November. Am already doing a lot more exercise although I do wonder if the 800 calories a day may sap my energy for that. Just a recap, I did 800 calories a day for 5 weeks before Christmas and lost over a stone. My lowest weight on the scales was 12st 3lbs but I don't trust my scales that much and it may have been optimistic by a couple of pounds. Weighed at the surgery just before Christmas, albeit clothed of course, they reckoned I lost just under 8 kg (down from 88 to 80.4kg). I estimate - factoring in clothes, I am currently about 82kg. At my next surgery appointment in early April I would like to be 77kg or under or about 11st 11lbs.

msmi1970

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes I have stuck to LCHF all along with just a small number of minor exceptions since mid-November. Am already doing a lot more exercise although I do wonder if the 800 calories a day may sap my energy for that. Just a recap, I did 800 calories a day for 5 weeks before Christmas and lost over a stone. My lowest weight on the scales was 12st 3lbs but I don't trust my scales that much and it may have been optimistic by a couple of pounds. Weighed at the surgery just before Christmas, albeit clothed of course, they reckoned I lost just under 8 kg (down from 88 to 80.4kg). I estimate - factoring in clothes, I am currently about 82kg. At my next surgery appointment in early April I would like to be 77kg or under or about 11st 11lbs.

that is certainly very low calorie. please be very careful if doing too much exercise with that amount of calories. in my experience of low calorie diets, the minute i started exercising, there would be one certain outcome; intense hunger which would lead me to go on a food rampage...:)

vit90

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
that is certainly very low calorie. please be very careful if doing too much exercise with that amount of calories. in my experience of low calorie diets, the minute i started exercising, there would be one certain outcome; intense hunger which would lead me to go on a food rampage...:)

I'm basically restarting what I did before Christmas so I'm familiar with the routine :)

modesty007

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
I tried to look at the website linked to in your profile but it doesn't work?

You mention a 'lucky escape'? Is your T2 reversed or basically under control through LCHF?
Had all the signs of my way into T2 but was never diagnosed, now lowered my BP, weight and waist line. I'm still rather carb sensitive and have to be careful, don't see LCHF as a diet but something that will be for life. At one point I might be able to raise my carbs, but never going back to have rice, potatoes, bread, grains or pasta, there're LCHF versions if longing for it.

adrian207

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
This morning my readings were..................
Before Brek............................5.6. 2 slices of toast (no marmalade today)
2 hrs after Brek......................6.8
Before Dinner........................5.2 5 rashers of bacon, 2 fried eggs, 1/2 tin of beans and 1 small slice of fried bread
2 hrs after dinner...................7.2
before tea................................5.2 Chicken tikka special on a garlic naan (and this was huge) I left about a third
2 hrs after tea..........................7.5

and just to prove I'm not lying.............................check the date and time on the monitor below
20150217_212323.jpg

So in answer to your question. Yes I think so. :D:D

Tomorrow morning I will probably be around the 5.5 - 6

Janiept

Expert
Found it ! That's a tough one isn't it. Caught between the devil and the deep blue sea. Have any HCPs given you any advice Adrian.
As you may have been told, and i'm not joking/nagging now this is genuine concern, fast weight loss causes loss of muscle and the heart is the largest muscle in the body so may be compromised. Do you think it might be an idea to do less vigorous exercise so that you retain some calories and don't lose as fast?

adrian207

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Found it ! That's a tough one isn't it. Caught between the devil and the deep blue sea. Have any HCPs given you any advice Adrian.
As you may have been told, and i'm not joking/nagging now this is genuine concern, fast weight loss causes loss of muscle and the heart is the largest muscle in the body so may be compromised. Do you think it might be an idea to do less vigorous exercise so that you retain some calories and don't lose as fast?
I understand your concerns but the exercising I do isn't at all overboard and i think the amount I'm doing is actually building the muscle I have got and toning me at the same time. Without sounding as if I'm bragging, I was a fairly well built man, stronger than most of my friends and able to lift considerably more than them too, so the way I see it is that the weight I'm losing (muscle) is basically excess and the remainder after losing this weight is getting toned and strengthened with the exercising I'm doing and the exercising in the Cardiac Rehab centre. This place mainly concentrates on re-building the heart muscles and is not like your local gym for body building.
I actually feel a lot better, have noticed a considerable speed increase in my walking and do not start puffing and panting when climbing inclines.
I have seen people that were overweight, lost loads of weight very quickly but did no exercise. Their muscle deteriorated and left them with a lot of baggy skin. That is not the same in my case due to me doing the exercises.

Janiept

Expert
I understand your concerns but the exercising I do isn't at all overboard and i think the amount I'm doing is actually building the muscle I have got and toning me at the same time. Without sounding as if I'm bragging, I was a fairly well built man, stronger than most of my friends and able to lift considerably more than them too, so the way I see it is that the weight I'm losing (muscle) is basically excess and the remainder after losing this weight is getting toned and strengthened with the exercising I'm doing and the exercising in the Cardiac Rehab centre. This place mainly concentrates on re-building the heart muscles and is not like your local gym for body building.
I actually feel a lot better, have noticed a considerable speed increase in my walking and do not start puffing and panting when climbing inclines.
I have seen people that were overweight, lost loads of weight very quickly but did no exercise. Their muscle deteriorated and left them with a lot of baggy skin. That is not the same in my case due to me doing the exercises.
Ok, i'll quit nagging ;):hilarious:. I'm glad that you are getting such good care at the Cardiac Rehab centre and they are giving you advice and guidance.
It must be very difficult balancing the low fat/low carb eating plan but i'm sure you will succeed, as you seem quite determined. High Five!

Last edited by a moderator:

vit90

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This morning my readings were..................
Before Brek............................5.6. 2 slices of toast (no marmalade today)
2 hrs after Brek......................6.8
Before Dinner........................5.2 5 rashers of bacon, 2 fried eggs, 1/2 tin of beans and 1 small slice of fried bread
2 hrs after dinner...................7.2
before tea................................5.2 Chicken tikka special on a garlic naan (and this was huge) I left about a third
2 hrs after tea..........................7.5

and just to prove I'm not lying.............................check the date and time on the monitor below View attachment 11870

So in answer to your question. Yes I think so. :D:D

Tomorrow morning I will probably be around the 5.5 - 6

Wow - lots of bread, is that a good idea?