Newcastle Diet: Well here goes folks!!

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Strange thing happened this morning folks, got up BG had gone down to 9.06, took me meds then went for a 2.5 mile walk around the estate. got back tested again and I am 10.04 !!!! (hadn't even had me first shake of the day) Now how on earth could that happen ??? Certainly not going to get downhearted about, we just push on
that could have been a liver dump to get your BG back to what your body now thinks is normal.

Reactions: 2 people

Biffa1965

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Start of day 3 and fasting BG down again to 8.3. Started to feel a wee bit cold last night but these symptoms are to be expected I believe.

Last edited by a moderator:

Biffa1965

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The Mrs has today made me a fab soup for this Diet. Its a tomato and pepper soup comprising of the following

2 x 400 tins of chopped tomatoes
1 x small onion
1 x veggie stock cube
250g of frozen mixed peppers

Quickly fry onion in tiny amount of oil, add tins of tomatoes, mix stock cube with boiling water and add to the mix. Add your peppers and salt and pepper and any other flavourings to taste ( my Mrs added fajita mix) brig to boil then simmer. After approx. 20 mins, then blend. add more water for thinner consistency if required.

260 cals per total pan. I am only using half, as she's using the other half as a tomato base for the little fellas meatballs

Folks it was lush !!!

Reactions: 6 people

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
it is normal to be cold the first week till you go into ketone adaption, also you need to add salt because the shakes have very little,
a teaspoon is good because you will also be flushing salts

Biffa1965

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Start of Day 4 and fasting BG still going down 7.03 this morning. Strangely woke up this morning feeling quite chipper.!!!

Biffa1965

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well peony to be honest I am not doing too bad. The worst of this by far was the first two days for me, day 3 was horrendous with slight dizziness and headaches, but from yesterday I have felt absolutely wonderful. Strangely I am not experiencing bad hunger pangs. I take my shakes and fill up a lot of my veggies, which I am trying to vary a lot (i.e. one day salad, next stir fry then soups) So all in all Im not feeling bad at all right now. In the first few days I was genuinely asking myself whether I could sustain it, but now with the results I am having, I will see this through to the end. If you need any help or advice just get in touch, though I am still very much learning myself.

Reactions: 5 people

moonchip

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Glad you're doing OK with it Biffa and congratulations on your success so far.

I've found that for me the hardest part is all the water, I try to aim for 4 litres of water per day, excluding what I make the shakes with and find the nearer I am to the target 4 litres the better my weight loss is. I guess it helps with 'flushing' your system

I noticed that after 2 weeks my "first pee of the morning" was crystal clear and this has remained so

You're right - the first 3 or 4 days are the worst, especially for 'big boned' fella's like me & you :D but two weeks in its really quite surprising how much you can lead a normal life on just 700 cals a day

My one warning is to make sure you continue to exercise. Now I don't mean that you have to become a fully-fledged gym-bunny (anyways, I look daft in a leotard !!!) but I maintained my regular walking often with a backpack with some weight in it, to ensure that my 'weight loss' isn't 'muscle loss'

Keep going - it does get easier over time

So far, and not a 'slave' to weighing myself every so often, I 'know' I'm doing OK because my waist size has dropped from a rather snug 46" to a relatively loose 39" - not bad for 6 weeks !

fleurtess

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
spiteful people, noisy naughty kids
I have been following this thread. Is this diet safe for type 1? Where do the carbs come into the diet.

peony50

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well peony to be honest I am not doing too bad. The worst of this by far was the first two days for me, day 3 was horrendous with slight dizziness and headaches, but from yesterday I have felt absolutely wonderful. Strangely I am not experiencing bad hunger pangs. I take my shakes and fill up a lot of my veggies, which I am trying to vary a lot (i.e. one day salad, next stir fry then soups) So all in all Im not feeling bad at all right now. In the first few days I was genuinely asking myself whether I could sustain it, but now with the results I am having, I will see this through to the end. If you need any help or advice just get in touch, though I am still very much learning myself.

Thank you for sharing your journey with us. I had not heard of the Newcastle Diet until I joined this forum. At the moment I am following the LCHF diet, only for a few days, but the scales have not budged at all. If after a month there is still no movement I will investigate the ND.

Does your family eat with you still? I think I would find it hard if I had to sit opposite my hubby while he is eating regular meals.

How long will you be following the diet?

Lots of positive thoughts heading your way for the rest of the journey.

brettsza

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Biffa1965
Welcome to the forum and specially the journey of ND.
@Pipp @Flashtash2014 @Glitterbritches @The little white hen @AloeSvea @Andrew Colvin have all completed the diet so tagging them in so they can share the advise
@geordie90 myself @moonchip @Steve50 are on it now
Its a 8 week long journey, 8 weeks looks like a very very short time but it indeed is very long when you are on ND but the support from forum is fantastic and we will get through it.
Apologies if i have missed anyone.
Just one suggestion from what you have written so far and again please feel to correct me if i am wrong.
Try and avoid using stock cubes, make your own stock if you can.
Add basil or whatever herbs you like to the soups, makes them taste better, initially it all tastes fine, its the monotony of the diet and same food that catches you later on.

brettsza

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
One more thing @Biffa1965 since you are on so much medication, I dont know if your GP is supporting you but you would probably need reduction in your medication as the amount that you are on is quite high and as the weight comes off and your BG reduces, you will most probably need reduction in your medication too.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Biffa1965
Welcome to the forum and specially the journey of ND.
@Pipp @Flashtash2014 @Glitterbritches @The little white hen @AloeSvea @Andrew Colvin have all completed the diet so tagging them in so they can share the advise
@geordie90 myself @moonchip @Steve50 are on it now
Its a 8 week long journey, 8 weeks looks like a very very short time but it indeed is very long when you are on ND but the support from forum is fantastic and we will get through it.
Apologies if i have missed anyone.
Just one suggestion from what you have written so far and again please feel to correct me if i am wrong.
Try and avoid using stock cubes, make your own stock if you can.
Add basil or whatever herbs you like to the soups, makes them taste better, initially it all tastes fine, its the monotony of the diet and same food that catches you later on.
stock cubes are good, a bit of needed salt and flavour change.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
are you adding a tablespoon at least, of butter/oil 10g to one meal a day, to help prevent gallstones?
Tablespoon oil 10g http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8781321

you understand that this diet should be done with your HCP as some side effects can be serious. including heart attacks

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 3 people

Biffa1965

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Moonchip first and foremost thanks very much for your words of encouragement and supports, and blimey Il tell you what !! you must have been reading my mind because I have just come back from walking to Tesco carrying a rucksack lol. 5.5 Km which took me 1hr 30 mins. So yes I am looking to take decent exercise but nothing stupid or crazy. As for the issue of water I am very much like you and consuming approx. 4 litres a day. I take 2 of my three shakes with water and one with skimmed milk (my tea time treat). Really enjoy a large glass of sparkling water with ice after a walk.

Like you I am looking forward to getting down to what I have always considered to be my ideal weight, which in my case is 14 stone, as we speak I am hovering above 16 stone after starting this last Saturday at 16.09, so I have plenty of incentive. Got this week off work to look after the bairn as he's off school, so using time wisely to learn as much as possible about this eating plan. Thanks again for your support mate.

Biffa1965

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
peony, I think the ND might be something you may want to consider but only after you speak with your GP and get strong medical supervision and advice. I certainly was not prepared to embark on it until I had spoken to my GB ( even though he was quite apathetic about it). I see your on a LCHF, at the moment, well that's what I will be looking to do upon completing this ND. I have looked at it and its seems the best option for me, but hey I've got to get through this first lol. To answer your other questions, I am going to be spending 8 weeks on this ND and yes my family are unbelievably supportive of what I am doing. The Mrs, who works in Catering is helping me come up with innovative ways to use the veggie and the little fella walked with me yesterday for 5 miles. So yes support of your loved ones is very much a great help.