Newly diagnosed

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
most people on glucose also have high BG. Therefore just measure BG often and slowly reduce the carbs, then get the glucose dose reduced when BG start to come down to normal levels.

@ringi You may wish to correct your typos. Gliclazide, not glucose!!! Tanmc will be confused. :)

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Crisps
Noodles
Potato mashed/baked
Curry
Pizza
Garlic sauce
Cheese
Crumpets
Toast
Sausages
Burgers

That diet is in need of serious attention, diabetic or not. Where's the fish, the chicken and leafy veg?

Tanmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have been in morrisons for over an hour how much sugur should you have per meal

Tanmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
That diet is in need of serious attention, diabetic or not. Where's the fish, the chicken and leafy veg?
Mike I didn't include the things that are OK to eat. Tbh I am not a fish person but do eat chicken and veg I'm huge amounts. Currently I am having a Tim if tuna for tea

Hotpepper20000

Thank you appreciate all the help have cried all day xx
You have found this forum. Your already ahead of the game. The people here are helpful.
I understand what your going through I've been there. But it is possible to control this. And you won't realized how awful you where feeling until you are feeling better.
When your blood sugar goes up and down in such a extreme way it does make it hard for your brain to process and emotions go crazy.
Small steps for now,you are at beginning of your journey to health, then as you go along you can make more small steps.
Keep coming back here and there will always be someone to help.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
I have been in morrisons for over an hour how much sugur should you have per meal

The minimum possible ... along with carbs, both should be on the banned list for diabetics

Keep asking questions as we don't mind doling out the advice

Tanmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
The minimum possible ... along with carbs, both should be on the banned list for diabetics

Keep asking questions as we don't mind doling out the advice
I ate a chicken breast and tin if tuna for tea with pickled onions xx

Hotpepper20000

What about weight watchers meals
Look on the back of the package. The carb % should be less then 10%
I don't know anything personally about them.
But if you can cook any kind of meat and vegtables yourself, it is less expensive and healthier.
So you like cheese an natural Greek yogurt?

Reactions: TIANDB

Tanmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Yeah. Been to see the nurse earlier on and cried my eyes out. Apparently they do not know yet if I am type 1 or 2 xx

TIANDB

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Crisps
Noodles
Potato mashed/baked
Curry
Pizza
Garlic sauce
Cheese
Crumpets
Toast
Sausages
Burgers

Hi Tanmc. The curry, Cheese, sausages and burgers can be ok ? You just have to check the carbs on the packages or research
Eggs are good also, Butter, Cream, salads, Mushrooms, meat, Fish and chicken. It will take time to work out but you will get the
gist of what you can allow yourself.. Best luck and Take care..

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What about weight watchers meals

weight watchers meals are not really minded for diabetics..

actually most of us in here being type 2 diabetics do eat much more fat than we did before diagnosis, fat is about the only thing that do never raise blood glucose,
I have changed a lot by eating much more nuts , like a handfull daily , sometimes just as a snack sometimes in the food in green salats and also adding cheese cubes in tuna salat

eggs, cheese, sausages, meat all kinds also fish (but without coating) , tomatoes cucumbers , avocado, olives , are all foods you can eat all you would like to eat of
LIDL has some protein rolls that can be used instead of normal bread , I like them , especially for sandwiches with meat cheese or tuna..

Last edited:
Reactions: TIANDB

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Tanmc

When you are looking at food labels you need to look at the main nutrient information where it lists all the nutrient amounts per 100g. Look for "Total Carbohydrate" and ignore anything it says about sugar. Sugar is a carb and is included in the total carb count. If it says the food has for example 15g carbs per 100g it means that 15% of whatever portion you eat is carbohydrate.

If you want to know how many actual grams of carbs you will eat you need to look at the weight of the food (it will say what it is on the packet) and work out the maths according to how much you eat.

Tanmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
@Tanmc

When you are looking at food labels you need to look at the main nutrient information where it lists all the nutrient amounts per 100g. Look for "Total Carbohydrate" and ignore anything it says about sugar. Sugar is a carb and is included in the total carb count. If it says the food has for example 15g carbs per 100g it means that 15% of whatever portion you eat is carbohydrate.

If you want to know how many actual grams of carbs you will eat you need to look at the weight of the food (it will say what it is on the packet) and work out the maths according to how much you eat.
OK thanks how many carbs should you eat per day

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
OK thanks how many carbs should you eat per day

That is entirely up to you, we all eat different amounts. Anywhere from 150g down to 20g a day. Your meter is your best friend - if any rise from before eating to 2 hours later is over 2mmol/l then there were too many carbs in that meal that need reducing in portion size or eliminating. Let your meter tell you how many you can eat.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I think you should aim for under 50g of carbs a day until you get your BG under control, then consider if going up to 150g a day is a good option. "half measures" will make the process take longer. As you have to change all your meals you might as well remove all high carb food. It is easier to for example have no rise then one spoon of rice.

Reactions: Zilsniggy