Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Re: omg just started having porridge and blood sugars rocket

Just a quick tip :) Ditch the light yoghurt if it's natural yoghurt and use the full fat version - it contains less carbs and is slower release. :wink:

Etty

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

honeybear10 said:
Lakeland do a nifty little egg boiler. ..
Thanks for the tip honeybear, does it take long to boil an egg?

greekqueen

I have mines with splenda powder and toasted almonds..always seem to make too much of it :?

Becg

I can't eat porridge it sends my BG sky high, i don't miss it though, i have greek yogurt (full fat) with stewed rhubarb or bacon and egg, some times a low carb home made scotch egg. I've found that carbs send my BS all over the place so i cut them out and feel great.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

greekqueen said:
I have mines with splenda powder and toasted almonds..always seem to make too much of it :?

Try using some kitchen scales next time! :)

Nigel

wellwell1212

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Liars and cheats

I take my oats more or less the Scotts way; i.e. made with a little salt and course oats but, not served with the top of the full fat milk but, with skimmed instead. It has so much in it that is good for you that its worth the trade off imo. Just go easy on the portion size and noooooooooooo sugar :wink:

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.

Top of the milk or cream would slow down the BG spiking caused by the oats.

Viv 8)

wellwell1212

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Liars and cheats

viviennem said:

Viv 8)

Never knew that .... cheers .... its back to the Full Fat top of the milk ... happy days :D

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.

It's the fat content. In fact, if I remember rightly, skimmed milk has more carbs than full cream milk - though not by much!

Viv 8)

iHs

Although porridge tends to elevate bg levels, the carb content can be kept down a bit by making it up with a small amount of cold water and leave it to soak for a few minutes. I eat about 2tbpnns mixed in with half a weetabix and a tiny bit of cold water to make it go soggy. I then add about 1 heaped tbspn of plain live culture bio yogurt and mix it all up. Tastes quite nice :)

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

I have big problems with breakfast because I am under weight and need a big boost of calories in a morning because this is the time my appetite is at its best I had tried porridge before but given it up in favour of burgen toast with loads of cheese on and marmite followed by a dish of jersey double cream with walnuts and cinnamon (I know it is hard being a skinny type 2 sometimes) Any way I decided to have a go at the porridge again I used pinhead oatmeal that I had read was better for BGs than rolled oats I put cinnamon on and a few raw blackcurrants to sweeten 2 hours later 10.6 :cry: No more porridge for me.
CAROL

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

wellwell1212 said:
viviennem said:

Viv 8)

Never knew that .... cheers .... its back to the Full Fat top of the milk ... happy days :D

I include pumpkin seeds with my porridge, the fats in the seeds (good fats) no doubt play a part in preventing postprandial spikes.

Nigel

Jibba Jabba

I also chuck in a handful of pumpkin seeds, thanks to Nigel's great advice, and a little drop of single cream.

Julie
x

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

Jibba Jabba said:
I also chuck in a handful of pumpkin seeds, thanks to Nigel's great advice, and a little drop of single cream.

Julie
x

Pleased its worked a treat Julie! :D

Nigel

Jibba Jabba

noblehead said:
Jibba Jabba said:

Julie
x

Pleased its worked a treat Julie! :D

Nigel

Yes, thank you, it definitely has Nigel :wink: . I can manage about 20 grams of porridge with the pumpkin seeds and a few berries.
xx

SandieB

Haven't had a chance to read all the messages, but just wanted to check. I only had porridge once, and it scared me that after an hour my normally 6.something, had soared to 9.something. But after two hours I was back to my starting reading. so it went up really quickly and came down just as quickly....is that usual?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

SandieB said:
Haven't had a chance to read all the messages, but just wanted to check. I only had porridge once, and it scared me that after an hour my normally 6.something, had soared to 9.something. But after two hours I was back to my starting reading. so it went up really quickly and came down just as quickly....is that usual?

You could try and add some delicious and nutritious seeds to the porridge to prevent the spike, doesn't work for everyone as this thread proves but worth a try just the same.

Nigel

sailorj

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

I have 30g porridge with 10g of dried fruit and it works for me.
I now keep a pot of roasted seeds (sunflower, pumpkin & sesame) on my work desk & in the kitchen to put on salads etc - gives a really nice nutty flavour
Also have 20g of dried fruit & nuts on me to have as a snack if needed - keeps me off the bananas, biscuits etc especially when at work or driving - when I used to snack on chocolates!

Malteser dreaming.....

Cowboyjim

All very interesting. I thought though that dried fruit was "off limits"?

Also it supports the notion that mixing certain foods together will reduce the spiking. Surely this is good and worth working out some suggested combo's?

I have often wondered how the digestive process works. If you ate a mix of foods which would be digested first? The "easy" ones I suppose. So for example if you ate the rough stuff that which is the result of very little processing in its manufacture along with some sugar for example, your digestive process would selectively process the sugar first leading to a spike...

Any ideas? 8)

Dial999

Porridge is supposed to be an extremely good food for you, so before we throw it out, maybe a few variations should be tried.

I understand that rolled oats spike a whole lot less than quick oats
As others have said, addition of fat slows the spike, so cream rather than milk (added to porridge made with water) Addition of crumbed or slivered nuts (good fats ) should help too
No sugar added, perhaps a little dried fruit?

I have a container already made up with the rolled oats, nuts and dried fruit.