Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Gym
Exercise classes
Beetroot is 7.2% carbs.
Oats are about 60%, in the box.
I eat beetroot. I do not eat oats.
Thank you. I have been eating beetroot at most meals and my sugars don’t spike.
Most diabetic websites tend to agree that beetroot is fine.
I do miss porridge but for me, it spikes my levels too high.
What I’m learning that I just hadn’t known before ( doh!‍♀️) is that EVERYONE is different. The rules are not hard and fast -apart from the obvious- and it’s a very tough and frustrating challenge: trial and error, laborious note making and comparison of the foods that spike sugars and those that don’t.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Look online for The Glucose Goddess and her books. Beetroot is a huge no no. Tons of sugar. Oats are good depending on how ‘rustic’ and unprocessed they are. Buy oats that take a LONG time to cook. Eat only dark chocolate. It has antioxidants in. It will keep you awake though! Fats are very important to balance blood sugar. Berries are ok in small amounts once a day. Eating more fibre and good fats coats the high glycemic food and helps slow it down.. Very important. Low fat…. not unless you have gallbladder issues.
As a T2 diet only I can tolerate a small amount of beetroot quite well, more if it’s pickled and it’s full of antioxidants, I can’t tolerate oats in even the tiniest amount, I agree fats are very important, Berries are great for me in small amounts but I can also eat small amount of apple, a small plum and a finger of pineapple (which many here can’t)

We are all very different and can tolerate different things in varying degrees and quantities, the best way to see if any food has an impact on you personally is test and see, whilst we can take advice from, books, forums websites etc nothing is set in stone as a no no unless you’ve tested for yourself.

MoyaAnne

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Gym
Exercise classes
As a T2 diet only I can tolerate a small amount of beetroot quite well, more if it’s pickled and it’s full of antioxidants, I can’t tolerate oats in even the tiniest amount, I agree fats are very important, Berries are great for me in small amounts but I can also eat small amount of apple, a small plum and a finger of pineapple (which many here can’t)

We are all very different and can tolerate different things in varying degrees and quantities, the best way to see if any food has an impact on you personally is test and see, whilst we can take advice from, books, forums websites etc nothing is set in stone as a no no unless you’ve tested for yourself.
Totally agree. This is what makes it tough. and why people shouldn’t jump in to tell others what a certain guru advises.
I can eat bananas no problem, I can eat one slice of seeded toast fine.
But even yoghurt with seeds and four blueberries will spike my levels.
I had my first meal out this evening. Fretted at the menu. Scared of carbs. Scared of the dressing ( did it have sugar in it?)
Realised as I was eating the roasted Mediterranean veg with goats cheese that I’d eaten potatoes!
I ate over half of them, resigned to getting a massive spike 2 hours later.
II was 9.1! Now I know that might seem high but it’s still early days for me and 9.1 is not terrible for me.
I’d eaten my usual late breakfast earlier which usually gives me a 7 or 8 and it was 10.1.
I think stress affects readings. I’ve had a busy day today, worrying about getting to a scan apt in time, testing, eating, getting ready to go and meet my friends, eating out for the first time.
Hopefully it will settle and improve.
Haven’t touched sugar or even sweetener since I started on MF.
It’s only been three weeks.
Still learning.

Reactions: lovinglife

KeredG

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other

The pickled beetroot is probably the vinegar enhancing the effect, I take a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar in a 1/2 glass of water before meals and it cuts down the spike dramatically, tastes nice too.

Reactions: filly

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The pickled beetroot is probably the vinegar enhancing the effect, I take a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar in a 1/2 glass of water before meals and it cuts down the spike dramatically, tastes nice too.
Exactly, I agree :) - that’s why I can tolerate more if pickled. I make my own flavoured vinegar with apple cider vinegar, so far I’ve made strawberry, raspberry, rosemary & Thyme, basil, I use them in drinks and dressings or just sprinkle on veggies