Pedometer Challenge Thread

PaulinaB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all! New-joiner here :)
I have my fitbit for a month now, managed to lost one in the meantime and got a new one!

12000 steps is my daily goal, managed to do 12528 today, so a good day :)
Will probably increase my goal to 14k, as 12k is getting to easy!

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Nice work! I am only on 9754 for today which is great for me on a work day :)

Blogging at drivendiabetic.wordpress.com

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
15,964 today :)

Anyone else still recording steps?

PaulinaB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am :) but not much steps today, laying on a couch mostly today.

Good job with 15k!

carraway

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
I am! But I cant seem to do much to alter my numbers in the working week. I am hoping with lighter evenings and bettr weather I can persuade my family to come out on an evening walk with me which should help.

But I have been in a bit of a slump and my greedy habits are creeping back in............

Have a day off on Tuesday may use that as a kickstart

Cara

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes I find during the week hard still. Averaging about 6000. Trying to take the dog on longer walks when it's drier

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
the ped comes with me everywhere lol not doing anything like you guys though :)

Reactions: 2 people

PaulinaB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey all!

5 150 steps so far today and it's only 9:30! But I had a long walk this morning (which I don't usually do).

Question: how does it work with Type 1 injecting insulin and exercise? Do you need to take more/less/the same amount of insulin if you're going to exercise? From what I understand, if you take more, your BG is going to get low and you may end up with a hypo, but with less you may not get enough energy and BG is going to be high and you may end up with ketones. So how does that work?

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey all!

5 150 steps so far today and it's only 9:30! But I had a long walk this morning (which I don't usually do).

Question: how does it work with Type 1 injecting insulin and exercise? Do you need to take more/less/the same amount of insulin if you're going to exercise? From what I understand, if you take more, your BG is going to get low and you may end up with a hypo, but with less you may not get enough energy and BG is going to be high and you may end up with ketones. So how does that work?

Nice work! Only 1,238 because I'm sat at my desk :(

So insulin + exercise = mayhem. But it is possible to pre-empt that.

You're right, if I go for a run it can reduce BG and cause a hypo. With injected insulin, exercise can also speed up how quickly it acts again meaning hypo. I ensure to test before I go out and do something more strenuous. If it's a run, I then test again 30 minutes in and treat as necessary. If BG is below 6 when I start I tend to have a 10g snack just to keep me going and prevent the hypo later.

PaulinaB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Nice work! Only 1,238 because I'm sat at my desk :(

So insulin + exercise = mayhem. But it is possible to pre-empt that.

You're right, if I go for a run it can reduce BG and cause a hypo. With injected insulin, exercise can also speed up how quickly it acts again meaning hypo. I ensure to test before I go out and do something more strenuous. If it's a run, I then test again 30 minutes in and treat as necessary. If BG is below 6 when I start I tend to have a 10g snack just to keep me going and prevent the hypo later.

Ahh, thanks! Do you're basically taking the same amount of insulin as usual and monitor the BG more closely while exercising?

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ahh, thanks! Do you're basically taking the same amount of insulin as usual and monitor the BG more closely while exercising?

If I know I'll be exercising within the hour (which I avoid like the plague!) I will reduce the amount I take with that meal slightly.

We also have the background insulin which I used to reduce whenever I had a day of "extreme" exercise. But I've taken to running almost every day now so I keep it the same every day

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If you read Think Like a Pancreas, (other books are available ;)) it has soem guidelines for dose reduction for exercise.

Take them as a starting point rather than absolutes. I find that I need to reduce my doses more than they state as I seem to be very insulin sensitive when exercising.

I.e. with only one unit levemir and 1 unit novorapid on board, I dropped from (a deliberately induced) 13.6 to 3.8 in 5km/25 mins running. A brisk walk after a meal can cause a hypo quite easily.

Reactions: 2 people

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
7,068 yesterday. Not too shabby :)

PaulinaB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks guys, that's really helpful! Just got the book yesterday and will start reading today :)
12086 yesterday, not reaching my new 14k goal :(

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks guys, that's really helpful! Just got the book yesterday and will start reading today :)
12086 yesterday, not reaching my new 14k goal :(

That's still awesome though!

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks! :) Maybe it's easier for me as I'm short (165cm), so I make more steps! :)

I'm only 160! But I have a desk job which makes it harder to get around during the day. Weekends are ok though :)