Progress after 4 days

Gudrun

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hmmm.. probably a lot less than stuff I like
Very well done Gudrun, the mutual support and gentle nudging on this site is amazing isn't it?

It sure is, Sanguine. Wish I had come here earlier.

Last edited by a moderator:

Opalshards

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Liars, thieves, users, cruelty, doing the washing up. Lol
Very well done. Keep up the good work.

Reactions: 2 people

scarper

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
know-it-all's
Gudrun, I am so pleased for you. I'm typing this with tears in my eyes because you are making a very real difference to your health and wellbeing! It is lovely to be free of 'the tyranny of the fridge'. (Wish I had thought of this phrase.)
I've had no problems with reducing/avoiding potatoes, rice, white bread, etc and am re-introducing 'polite' amounts of Green&Blacks 70% cocoa solids choc after dinner ...
Please carry on testing and keep in touch.
All the best. Gill

:clown::happy:;):hungry::joyful:

Reactions: 4 people

Gudrun

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Oh Gill, thank you so much... I have had problems relating to food all my life. Eating had been my coping mechanism. I watched my mother having gangrene and going blind, an aunt going blind, my sister, brother and cousins all having increasing health problems - all are / have been diabetic; all of them having heart disease, all of them suffering. When I was younger, I used to think 'If I ever get to that point I'll not make the same mistakes. I'll never be obese, I'll eat healthy' and yet the immediate gratification of the next biscuit or next chocolate bar always won the fight and eventually I gave up even trying.

It's only been four days (well, nearly five) since I have changed my eating habits. I will try and keep stress out of my life, so that I won't weaken and go back to comfort eating anything with lots of carbohydrates in it.

Someone gave me a virtual kick up the bum on my first day here..... Perhaps that's what I needed? (Although I have had plenty of those before, mostly giving them to myself, but not quite reaching).

Reactions: 3 people

scarper

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
know-it-all's
Your first para above is also true for me. I am attempting to fend of this disease largely due to a strong family history. I, too, witnessed my mother's deterioration via blindness, kidney failure and the rest, over a period of approximately 10 years. The doctors were considering amputation of some toes just before she died at the age of 59 in 1981. I am 58 at the moment. She was sweet, funny, intelligent and I miss her everyday.

We shall win!

Gudrun

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
We shall win![/QUOTE]

Indeed, we shall, Gill. We have found a group of people here who are not only knowledgeable, but also willing to share their knowledge and to support and encourage us. Newbies we may be still, but not for long. With every bit of gathered information our determination will be strengthened to prevent it from getting worse.

Mazzer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@scarper @Gudrun
It is really lovely to see that you are both so positive, sometimes a good kick up the bum makes us realise that by looking after ourselves hopefully we will all live a long, happy and complication free life. I have only been on this forum since February, so still quite new, although I now feel part of the diabetic community and so will you very soon. Carry on being positive and we will all be winners.

Reactions: 7 people
A

AnnieC

Hi Godrun
Well done for taking control and doing well. I to am prediabetic and have been for about 3 to 4 years I have never been overweight just the opposite and doing very low carb just makes me loose more weight which I can't afford to do but I have cut out starchy carbs like pasta rice and high sugar like cakes biscuits and puds....not that I ever ate much of those anyway... but I still eat new potatoes and have either a slice of granary or Bergen toast with my breakfast I also try to have my 5 to 7 portions of all types and colours of fruit vegetables and salad and I eat a lot of cheese and nuts . I have just started to have full fat greek yogurt and a little butter on my veggies and I cook with coconut oil but as I have done low fat for years I do find it rather difficult to get my head around the full fat thing.
Keep up the good work

Gudrun

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi Godrun
Well done for taking control and doing well. I to am prediabetic and have been for about 3 to 4 years I have never been overweight just the opposite and doing very low carb just makes me loose more weight which I can't afford to do but I have cut out starchy carbs like pasta rice and high sugar like cakes biscuits and puds....not that I ever ate much of those anyway... but I still eat new potatoes and have either a slice of granary or Bergen toast with my breakfast I also try to have my 5 to 7 portions of all types and colours of fruit vegetables and salad and I eat a lot of cheese and nuts . I have just started to have full fat greek yogurt and a little butter on my veggies and I cook with coconut oil but as I have done low fat for years I do find it rather difficult to get my head around the full fat thing.
Keep up the good work

Hi Annie

I have a load of weight to lose, my BMI is 44 at the moment. So anything that helps bringing the weight down will also help bringing the blood sugar down and improve my prediabetes. Hopefully, with the low carb eating I can manage it. Certainly, every morning when I prick my finger my BG levels are lower than they had been for the last few weeks (when I was still eating half a loaf of bread a day).
I don't consciously add high fat to what I eat, but now don't cut off the bit of fat on the slice of bacon and don't wipe the frying pan before use after putting a drop of oil into it. I think a lot will be trial and error, but so far I am very happy with the results of my changed way of eating. Long may it last.

paulins

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Feeling I can never eat anything sweet again or anything with carbs. But thought of diabetes complications scares me more so it is a no brainer!
Well done Gudrun! I was diagnosed in January 2014, weighing in at an unhealthy 17st 6lbs. I was determined to reverse the diabetes, so went on the Newcastle diet. I have lost, as of today, 41 lbs (one lb short of 3 stones). Fasting BG levels down from 7 to 5.1. No medication for diabetes. Cholesterol down from 6.5 to 4.5. Only on statins 2 months. Trigs down from 3.2 to 1.7. I am ABSOLUTELY determined to avoid all the awful complications that can come with diabetes (if I don't manage to reverse it), so will get down to my 23s/30 weight of 9.5-10 st. Keep going, one day at a time, and it works. And keep reading the support from this site.

Gudrun

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Well done Gudrun! I was diagnosed in January 2014, weighing in at an unhealthy 17st 6lbs. I was determined to reverse the diabetes, so went on the Newcastle diet. I have lost, as of today, 41 lbs (one lb short of 3 stones). Fasting BG levels down from 7 to 5.1. No medication for diabetes. Cholesterol down from 6.5 to 4.5. Only on statins 2 months. Trigs down from 3.2 to 1.7. I am ABSOLUTELY determined to avoid all the awful complications that can come with diabetes (if I don't manage to reverse it), so will get down to my 23s/30 weight of 9.5-10 st. Keep going, one day at a time, and it works. And keep reading the support from this site.

Hi Paulins, I had a look at the Newcastle diet, but that involves drinking Optifast, doesn't it? Or do you use something like Slimfast?

I don't think meal replacements would work well for me, I need to learn to eat the kinds of food that doesn't spike my blood sugar.

I'm happy with my progress so far. Since I started cutting out bread, potatoes, rice, pasta (and obviously chocolate, biscuits and cakes) I have lowered my blood sugar levels by an average of 0.7 and lost 2kg.

So far, it's been easy. Just hope I don't fall off the wagon with a loud thud soon.

Reactions: 4 people

paulins

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Feeling I can never eat anything sweet again or anything with carbs. But thought of diabetes complications scares me more so it is a no brainer!
Hi Paulins, I had a look at the Newcastle diet, but that involves drinking Optifast, doesn't it? Or do you use something like Slimfast?

I don't think meal replacements would work well for me, I need to learn to eat the kinds of food that doesn't spike my blood sugar.

I'm happy with my progress so far. Since I started cutting out bread, potatoes, rice, pasta (and obviously chocolate, biscuits and cakes) I have lowered my blood sugar levels by an average of 0.7 and lost 2kg.

So far, it's been easy. Just hope I don't fall off the wagon with a loud thud soon.

You can't get Optifast in the UK, so I use an alternative, Shake that Weight. I have an incredibly healthy meal at night, with lots of veg, homemade soups etc. from the recipes they give on their website. I wanted the drastic reduction in calorific intake to try to reverse the diabetes - but the weight loss has been great and I intend to keep going. But everyone must do what works for them!

Gudrun

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
You can't get Optifast in the UK, so I use an alternative, Shake that Weight. I have an incredibly healthy meal at night, with lots of veg, homemade soups etc. from the recipes they give on their website. I wanted the drastic reduction in calorific intake to try to reverse the diabetes - but the weight loss has been great and I intend to keep going. But everyone must do what works for them!

I'm thrilled it works for you and you have made brilliant progress. Very well done. You must be so proud of yourself.

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
You are aiming lower than me - I decided 12 stone was good enough from my original 17st 9lbs. Are you still losing several pounds a week? I slowed mine to 1 to 2 lbs a week by increasing my carb intake as I thought this would be more sustainable in the longer term as I am changing my lifestyle slowly and will not have a huge change when I hit my target.

paulins

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
You are aiming lower than me - I decided 12 stone was good enough from my original 17st 9lbs. Are you still losing several pounds a week? I slowed mine to 1 to 2 lbs a week by increasing my carb intake as I thought this would be more sustainable in the longer term as I am changing my lifestyle slowly and will not have a huge change when I hit my target.

Now losing on average 3lbs a week. I want to reverse the diabetes so must keep up the VLC diet. This is driving me.

paulins

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm thrilled it works for you and you have made brilliant progress. Very well done. You must be so proud of yourself.

I am surprised that I have managed to be so determined and single-minded. But for me the goal is worth it! And I do like being thinner and fitting into nice clothes gain, and being able to run around with my grandson (who is 4).

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Now losing on average 3lbs a week. I want to reverse the diabetes so must keep up the VLC diet. This is driving me.
driving me too... I am just 2 lbs off of 4 stone now and my BMI will be out of the obese range as well :)

Reactions: 5 people

paulins

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
driving me too... I am just 2 lbs off of 4 stone now and my BMI will be out of the obese range as well :)

Well done! Will have you as my role model and keep going! You are a month ahead of me. Let me know when you lose the 2 lbs.

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
will do - that will mean I will redouble my efforts