Scared of falling

cdpm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Side effects from medication
I get bad and sudden random leg and toe and feet cramps and leg pain from using insulin.
A leg cramp hit suddenly in the shower one day and I nearly fell.
I'm scared now.
What should I do?
I tell my dr but he seems to ignore it.
There isn't another dr.

• Hug
Reactions: JAT1

May Mic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That must have been very scary.
One solution if possible is putting in grab bars for safety and stability to grab on to when one of the cramps hit.

Can you have a phone within safe reach?

Talk to the Dr. again to ensure he knows how this affects you.

Reactions: EllieM and cdpm

cdpm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
That must have been very scary.
One solution if possible is putting in grab bars for safety and stability to grab on to when one of the cramps hit.

Can you have a phone within safe reach?

Talk to the Dr. again to ensure he knows how this affects you.
Yes I can take my phone in the bathroom.
Luckily I do have 2 bars in the shower.
We aren't allowed anything on the slippery tub floors.

May Mic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes I can take my phone in the bathroom.
Luckily I do have 2 bars in the shower.
Try a small towel on the bottom of the bathtub to see if that helps. We do that in hotel baths. Just test it first to ensure you are comfortable with it.

cdpm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Try a small towel on the bottom of the bathtub to see if that helps. We do that in hotel baths. Just test it first to ensure you are comfortable with it.
OK thanks sounds good

cdpm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Can you get a little shower seat that fits in the bath so you can sit down?
Yes I have one but I can't get access til it's warmer out

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
forum bugs

Wouldn't a special rubber mat be better? I have one in my shower after I slipped over there. It has suction cups to hold it in place...

eg (not the one I have because I can't remember where I bought it)

Is there a reason for this?

aylalake

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being told “Oh go on, one won’t hurt you!”.
Conversely, the food police.
Wouldn't a special rubber mat be better? I have one in my shower after I slipped over there. It has suction cups to hold it in place...

Is there a reason for this?
I was thinking and wondering the same. I actually take a rubber mat intended for a baby bath, so very small, with me when I visit family or go away somewhere. It just accommodates both my feet yet is small enough that it doesn’t take up space in my backpack or suitcase.

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I get bad and sudden random leg and toe and feet cramps and leg pain from using insulin.
I am sorry to read about your fall and lack of confidence in the shower. I too would encourage you to get a rubber mat for the bath.
However, the other thing that struck me was your comment that the leg and toe cramps are caused by your insulin. To my understanding (but I am not a doctor) this is very very very unusual reaction to insulin. Are you sure that is the cause? For example, i have read about severe leg cramps being a possible side effect to stations. Is it worth looking through the leaflets of all your medication to try to find the source of the problem. If it is indeed your insulin, other types may be available for you.

cdpm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

As a renter there is a several page thing we have to sign with many 'rules'. One is nothing is allowed to be put on the tub floor. Meaning nothing that sticks.

cdpm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Idk know if that reply worked about why nothing can go on the tub floor.

cdpm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I might be able to use a non sticky mat.

Reactions: EllieM

cdpm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I am sorry to read about your fall and lack of confidence in the shower. I too would encourage you to get a rubber mat for the bath.
However, the other thing that struck me was your comment that the leg and toe cramps are caused by your insulin. To my understanding (but I am not a doctor) this is very very very unusual reaction to insulin. Are you sure that is the cause? For example, i have read about severe leg cramps being a possible side effect to stations. Is it worth looking through the leaflets of all your medication to try to find the source of the problem. If it is indeed your insulin, other types may be available for you.
There is an insulin that works for me, no weight gain, no having to reuse needles, easier for me to use, only 2 shots a day.
But
It's an older insulin. A premix. My Dr prefers the newer insulin.
I believe it's the insulin causing the problem because I have went off of it a few times to see. And it's completely gone in a week. The cramping and pain the whole thing. And weight gain stops I begin losing. Which is needed.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I use a bath mat similar to the one @EllieM pointed out to you, they aren’t sticky they have suction caps, I lift mine after every shower to drain and dry it and it leaves no marks at all.

I thought everybody would use some sort of none slip mat - even if you have no issues at all and are fighting fit it’s still very slippy and dangerous. I don’t really see any problem using one of those, it’s far less likely to damage the tub bottom than the shower seat you say you've got stored away and have used before

• Agree
Reactions: cdpm and EllieM

cdpm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I would have thought they meant anything that was permanently stuck down?? If not, how would they know if you remove it each time you use it and put it in a cupboard etc?
I think that's what they mean.

cdpm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I think I will use a towel . It's the easiest to put down and pick up again. It can't possibly leave any marks.

JenniferM55

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry you're having issues. Obviously I don't know your specific circumstances so I'm only guessing, but wherever you are, there has to be a 'duty of care'. Your safety should be a priority. Wondering if you are able to have a quiet word with whoever it is that is saying a bath mat isn't allowed.

• Agree
Reactions: aylalake and cdpm