Substitute for bread

joshandjess

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I love bread but now being T2 I need to cut it out, what do others eat instead? Would crackers like rivetta be okay?

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Ah - but bread doesn't love you back.
If you have a meter you can try a Lidl protein roll - eat it slowly or it could give you indigestion, people are so used to gulping down their food without chewing.
Everything made with wheat can cause a potential spike in your blood glucose, but people do vary. and time of day when eating and what it is eaten with all affect the impact of the carbs.

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
Sainsbury's Hi-Lo bread made mostly with soya flour. 5g carb per slice. Expensive at £1.70 for a small loaf but freezes well. Soya content also helps support bone density. ( No, I do not have shares in Sainsbury's!).

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sainsbury's Hi-Lo bread made mostly with soya flour. 5g carb per slice. Expensive at £1.70 for a small loaf but freezes well. Soya content also helps support bone density. ( No, I do not have shares in Sainsbury's!).
I bought one recently. They seem okay. Not as nice as Lidl rolls IMHO

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I love bread but now being T2 I need to cut it out, what do others eat instead? Would crackers like rivetta be okay?

Crackers probably best avoided to be honest as they are still relatively high carb.
You could use lettuce leaves or even use the contents of the sandwich.. like 2 slices of cheese with ham in between or 2 slices of ham with cheese in the middle. Bread is usually only the carrying medium for something more tasty so just eat the filling without the stodge. You could even butter your cheese if you want to add a bit of extra fat.. or is that a bit weird even for me.. nope I've done it.

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You could even butter your cheese if you want to add a bit of extra fat.. or is that a bit weird even for me.. nope I've done it.
I'm a cheese butterer too. It's GORGEOUS!
:):):)
I'm out and about today, and have just had two hard-boiled eggs for my lunch. It's a good job I'm full, otherwise I'd be hunting some butter and some cheese right now......

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Recently we have been having a little cheese appetizer before dinner.
Brie, and some jalapeño jack. All toppled with butter and onion and melted. We have another cheese called justo, it's a fried bread cheese. That one gets butter and ontoasted pecan. We look forward everynignt. The butter while melting makes the cheese creamier and melt better.

Back to the op. Lettuce wraps. Or pick up the meat and cheese with your fingers. Forks and spoons work too.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
If you or someone you know are handy in the kitchen you could try the Almond soda bread on page 257 of Tom Kerridge's Dopamine Diet, this is excellent. I changed my mind on the book which I saw in Sainsbury's now are £9.00. A web search would also reveal many alternatives. I can also recommend as other have stated the Lidl protein rolls.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you or someone you know are handy in the kitchen you could try the Almond soda bread on page 257 of Tom Kerridge's Dopamine Diet, this is excellent. I changed my mind on the book which I saw in Sainsbury's now are £9.00. A web search would also reveal many alternatives. I can also recommend as other have stated the Lidl protein rolls.
£6.99 at Amazon in hard or soft format but £9 from Sainsbury's is good if you want to avoid the annoying £10 spend for free delivery.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
£6.99 at Amazon in hard or soft format but £9 from Sainsbury's is good if you want to avoid the annoying £10 spend for free delivery.
Seems that it is always worth waiting maybe 4-6 months, as Lean in 15 I noticed is also reduced.

Mpitkin

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I have a recipe for nut and seed bread.It has no wheat or sugar in it - very tasty - would you like it?

keitjones

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I discovered rye bread a great alternative. Low in sugars.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Needs to be low carbohydrates as well.

connie1049g

Type of diabetes
Type 2
+1 for Sainsburys Hi-Lo bread. High in protein lo in carbs, and tastes nice as well. Bit dear, but we don't use that much.