Type 1'stars R Us

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all, thanks for your messages and suggestions, really appreciated. I've woken up this morning and my throat feels much better than it did yesterday though everything else is still in full flow!
@Nicola M so glad you're starting to recover though how distressing that it took so long to get proper medical intervention. Hope you're firing on all four very soon xx

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Unnerving! Got up, showered, ate breakfast, went for a walk, ironed, baked and cooked and ate lunch. Obviously bolus insulin injected, but even so.
IMG_1699803444.613787.jpg

• Love
Reactions: Marie 2 and Antje77

Mac Dabrowski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Unnerving! Got up, showered, ate breakfast, went for a walk, ironed, baked and cooked and ate lunch. Obviously bolus insulin injected, but even so. View attachment 64250
Hi. Sorry if my question is foolish but isn't your curve actually very good? It's nearly flat and 7 is not a bad number. I'm fairly new, diagnosed 2 years ago, so still learning and might be completely wrong but my experience so far is that it is extremely hard to keep around 5, and it usually creates more variations throughout the day. And variations in your glucose is what we should fear the most. I hope this will trigger some discussion as I'm interested to hear different opinions.

Mac Dabrowski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@becca59 and @Marie 2 Thanks, got it now! Occasionally, it happens to me as well....no correlation whatsoever. Anyway, I'm still curious whether a fairly flat curve around 7ish is considered as a good control?

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
@Mac Dabrowski Yes it would still be considered good. At least in the US, they prefer you to have an A1c of 53 (7) or under. An average 7mmol is equal to 42 (6) A1c.

Here in the US there is more and more attention being paid to the TIR, Time In Range. They want you 70% between 3.9 - 10 (70-180). @becca59 would have had a 100% day. TIR gives you more of an accurate picture of how you come about your numbers.
Rolling hills, instead of peaks and valleys.

But yes, it would be considered good.

Last edited:

SherwoodT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's the eve of my first pump clinic appointment to discuss whether pump therapy is something that is a possibility for me. I don't meet NICE criteria, but I know just how much headspace and how much of an improvement in my quality of life a pump could bring me.

I can't help but feel like I should prepare for abject disappointment. I'm dreading tomorrow.

Any advice for this whole process is greatly appreciated!

• Optimistic
Reactions: Marie 2 and Antje77

h884

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It's the eve of my first pump clinic appointment to discuss whether pump therapy is something that is a possibility for me. I don't meet NICE criteria, but I know just how much headspace and how much of an improvement in my quality of life a pump could bring me.

I can't help but feel like I should prepare for abject disappointment. I'm dreading tomorrow.

Hi SherwoodT1

i have been on a pump now for three years. My initial pump clinic appt was about pumps in general and the the types on offer locally. There were reps from Omnipod, Medtronic and Tandem Slim to demonstrate the pumps.

We needed to provide evidence of having completed a course such as Bertie online or similar.

The next appt was split between dietitian & nurse, and then a psychologist. We had to demonstrate carb counting by bringing a food diary.

Not sure what the process will be like where you are, it may well be quite different.

Hope this is of some help, any questions please get back to me.

Good luck for tomorrow

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
Good Luck @SherwoodT1 !
I am in the US, so not a clue. But I hope you get one. It's been invaluable to me to help with DP and to be able to make adjustments when exercising. Especially the ability to make adjustments to my basal rate the night after I've been swimming for a length of time. I really drop if I don't cut back my basal rate that evening and night.

SherwoodT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks @Antje77, it's appreciated!

Hi SherwoodT1

i have been on a pump now for three years. My initial pump clinic appt was about pumps in general and the the types on offer locally. There were reps from Omnipod, Medtronic and Tandem Slim to demonstrate the pumps.

We needed to provide evidence of having completed a course such as Bertie online or similar.

The next appt was split between dietitian & nurse, and then a psychologist. We had to demonstrate carb counting by bringing a food diary.

Not sure what the process will be like where you are, it may well be quite different.

Hope this is of some help, any questions please get back to me.

Good luck for tomorrow
Honestly, I've no clue what to expect. I'm still solidly at the stage where my hospital team will decide whether they would even consider supporting me for applying for funding for an insulin pump or not. I've already had the head DSN in effect say "prepare for a no" as I don't fall under NICE criteria (it felt like they wanted to roll their eyes when they saw my referral to the pump clinic). It's incredibly frustrating given how much I know a pump could help with my quality of life, particularly at work.

Very much wishing I even knew what to expect tomorrow! Fingers crossed I suppose!

h884

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks @Antje77, it's appreciated!

Honestly, I've no clue what to expect. I'm still solidly at the stage where my hospital team will decide whether they would even consider supporting me for applying for funding for an insulin pump or not. I've already had the head DSN in effect say "prepare for a no" as I don't fall under NICE criteria (it felt like they wanted to roll their eyes when they saw my referral to the pump clinic). It's incredibly frustrating given how much I know a pump could help with my quality of life, particularly at work.

Very much wishing I even knew what to expect tomorrow! Fingers crossed I suppose!

My rationale for pump therapy were the lows I had most nights. This went on for some time no matter how much I altered my insulin both basal and bolus. My long acting insulin was also changed. I was at the end of my tether. I would agree that pump therapy has improved quality of my life.

Reactions: Marie 2

Nicola M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I realised today interestingly (and perhaps weirdly) that although you should keep an insulin pump for 4 years I've never kept any of mine for that long. My first pump in 2015 was an Animas Vibe which stopped making insulin pumps so I was switched to the Medtronic 640g in 2018 and then when I moved to hybrid closed loop I swapped pumps again to the Medtronic 780g in 2021 :hilarious: here's to hoping I actually get to see one through to the end!!

Nicola M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Getting my eyes tested again on Tuesday at the hospital, I'm hoping they'll discharge me back to yearly checkups at my local place soon although not quite sure if it'll be this time or maybe next. My last scan showed great improvement although my maculopathy wasn't completely gone yet it was much better than before. I suppose that's what you get for drastically improving your control :hilarious:

jaywak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cold weather, angry people, queues,
Hi. Sorry if my question is foolish but isn't your curve actually very good? It's nearly flat and 7 is not a bad number. I'm fairly new, diagnosed 2 years ago, so still learning and might be completely wrong but my experience so far is that it is extremely hard to keep around 5, and it usually creates more variations throughout the day. And variations in your glucose is what we should fear the most. I hope this will trigger some discussion as I'm interested to hear different opinions.
To put your mind at rest as you are new to all this that graph from becca59 is brilliant and the 7.2 is good so don't worry if you can't achieve the same , mine is very seldom that good but when I saw my consultant a couple of weeks ago he said mine was spot on .

SherwoodT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

So ... The meeting was mixed and left me in the dark as to how it could go. I've felt quite down beaten about it, honestly.

The person who spoke with me and will inform me of the result by phone was going on holiday for 10 days, so I'm still none the wiser ... Impatiently waiting and hoping and praying things go in my favour.

Still waiting to hear from them, but ... I have received a letter inviting me to see the pump clinic again. I really don't know what to make of this. Doing my best not to read into anything, but boy is it hard! Any one with experience of the process, and what is normal?