Type 2s: What was your fasting blood glucose in a morning? (very low chat level)

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've not had pasta since I was diagnosed. Hubby (also diabetic) can manage a small portion ok without a big spike.

there are lots of pasta types to use instead .. I am fond of the japanese zero pasta made of konjac plant it doesn´t taste of much but is really great in spicy sauce no bad taste at all and as it is almost zero carb it is also great for weightloss and keeping blood glucose low
https://www.diabetesdaily.com/blog/5-great-low-carb-pastas-and-1-to-avoid-150951/

Reactions: jonbvn

jonbvn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
there are lots of pasta types to use instead .. I am fond of the japanese zero pasta made of konjac plant it doesn´t taste of much but is really great in spicy sauce no bad taste at all and as it is almost zero carb it is also great for weightloss and keeping blood glucose low
https://www.diabetesdaily.com/blog/5-great-low-carb-pastas-and-1-to-avoid-150951/
Personally I like the shiritaki noodles. However they are best eaten with dishes with strong tastes. I like them in Vietnamese pho.

Any another 4.8 this morning.

James13

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
10.8 both yesterday and today, but seeing my GP this afternoon. I don't believe diet is causing this as it's better than ever. Worried about the appt. as recently there were liver function abnormalities too.

Polgara

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Oh - I had no idea that these even existed. Thank you. My plan is to be very restrictive over refined carbs until I've had my July Hbc1A - then when that is a lovely low number (I hope) I was going to try and add bits back in :)

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Wow 6.3 this morning. I don't think buckwheat pasta even a small portion is for me. As a comparison tested my non diabetic husband who had a much larger portion and his was 5.9. Felt a bit better after that.
So, sticking your husband with needles eh.

Try cooking your pasta the day before you eat it. Then put it in the fridge overnight to chill. Re-heat in whatever sauce you are going to use. This to make "resistant starch". Once pasta or any starchy food is cooked and cooled it becomes resistant to those enzymes in our gut that break carbs down and release glucose that cause spikes. Watch out for overdoing the portion size :).

Doesn't seem to work with beer unfortunately :banghead:

JanetMcDowell

So, sticking your husband with needles eh.

Try cooking your pasta the day before you eat it. Then put it in the fridge overnight to chill. Re-heat in whatever sauce you are going to use. This to make "resistant starch". Once pasta or any starchy food is cooked and cooled it becomes resistant to those enzymes in our gut that break carbs down and release glucose that cause spikes. Watch out for overdoing the portion size :).

Doesn't seem to work with beer unfortunately :banghead:

As regards sticking him with pins. He was gagging for it.

James13

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just been to see my GP as my HbA1c shot up from 57 to 68 in 3 months. Convinced him that my diet is better now than when my HbA1c was 43 four years ago (which is true since I was referred to the health trainer in December last year) and I walk up to 30 miles a week (did a 13 mile walk yesterday). That said, I'm still about 50lbs overweight but losing slowly as I reduce my carbs. Bottom line is he doubled my metformin to 2g XL a day.

To keep on topic I hope soon to at least see my fasting levels reduce.

Thanks for the hugs and support folks.

Johnjoe13

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just been to see my GP as my HbA1c shot up from 57 to 68 in 3 months. Convinced him that my diet is better now than when my HbA1c was 43 four years ago (which is true since I was referred to the health trainer in December last year) and I walk up to 30 miles a week (did a 13 mile walk yesterday). That said, I'm still about 50lbs overweight but losing slowly as I reduce my carbs. Bottom line is he doubled my metformin to 2g XL a day.

To keep on topic I hope soon to at least see my fasting levels reduce.

Thanks for the hugs and support folks.

From reading the NICE guidelines it's advised to add a further medication on top of metformin if your number reaches 58, did your GP not consider this? Mine did and I asked for 3 months grace to get it down which I managed to do