Type 2's: What was your fasting blood glucose in a morning?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well I didn't know Mike was just on Metformin.Lol. (had to check his profile which I didn't do earlier). And honestly I just assumed Mike was on Insulin(dont know why). Sorry Mike am new here and didn't know one could check profiles. Lesson learnt.
And you're right, metformin being a Biguanide has little risk of causing a hypoglycemic episode. Emphasis on little risk. However, Metformin(not in combination with other drugs) can cause Hypoglycaemia! This is especially so in patients with Kidney, Adrenal or Liver dysfunction as well as during strenous exercise and in the elderly.So never say never. Also a blood sugar level below 70mg/dL(3.88.mol/L) in a diabetic especially if consistently so, warrants an extra look. It might be nothing...and it usually is most times...but it still warrants a look.
And if you look at my comment I did mention CONSISTENTLY having figures below 4 and not on few occasions. I get figures like that occasionally especially after intense exercise.

Oh! And am from Lagos Nigeria. Not Portugal.
Cheers!!
The proportion of T1s to T2s (ignoring pre-diabetes and Reactive Hypoglycaemia) alone suggests it makes sense to check which variant of this disease anyone has before moving forward with a directive post.

I disagree with your statement regarding blood scores of 3.88. For a well controlled, unmedicated T2, such as myself, I merely see my body as replicating a non-diabetic individual. Such a replication is my aim. For the avoidance of doubt, I mean, I aim to have my body act as a non-diabetic, rather than necessarily at any particular score. There are a number of T2 individuals on this site who have been fortunate enough to have effectively reversed their diabetic status. Some eat a non-diabetic style diet, whilst others continue of a restricted carb diet.

It is my belief that there are thousands and thousands of non-diabetics running their bloods largely in the 3s every day of their lives. In most instances, how would we know? They don't test, or experience a rather random test if they have a diabetic friend.

For me, I am interested when my bloods drop under 3.2/3.3, as at that point, I am generally pretty hungry, but that's simple enough to fix. I have a working pancreas and a liver that likes to look after me, and I am keen to continue to exercise those, as I would, had I not had that diagnostic test. Clearly, whatever blood score I recorded, I would pay attention to it, if I felt unwell in any way.

I understand cognitive capacity is impacted when one dips into the 2s, and on the occasions, I have been into the 2s I have acted to lift my score immediately, but still only by having a cup of tea or something insignificant.

And, finally, you I did type T2 in error (meaning T1), as referred to in your second response.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for that Jan, I have tried reducing the granola today but even without the orange juice still hit an 8.2 at 1hr then down to 5.5 which this figure was good

Tried 2 slices of my multi seeded hovis wholemeal with tuna, small slices plus olives for dinner, but rose from 5.7 pre to 8.5 at 2 hours my figures have all gone astray.

Neil

Not a great deal wrong with your breakfast figures because you were right down again at 2 hours. (although I would still ditch the granola). However, 2 slices of bread was too many carbs. It tells you on the loaf how many carbs are in a slice. I eat the Hovis Seed Sensations Wholemeal, 14 carbs per slice but loads of fibre, which I need. I can, like Jan, only manage 1 slice though, but this is fine because it is thick and filling.

Reactions: 6 people

DrAizen

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty
Disloyalty
Tardiness
Well no
The proportion of T1s to T2s (ignoring pre-diabetes and Reactive Hypoglycaemia) alone suggests it makes sense to check which variant of this disease anyone has before moving forward with a directive post.

I disagree with your statement regarding blood scores of 3.88. For a well controlled, unmedicated T2, such as myself, I merely see my body as replicating a non-diabetic individual. Such a replication is my aim. For the avoidance of doubt, I mean, I aim to have my body act as a non-diabetic, rather than necessarily at any particular score. There are a number of T2 individuals on this site who have been fortunate enough to have effectively reversed their diabetic status. Some eat a non-diabetic style diet, whilst others continue of a restricted carb diet.

It is my belief that there are thousands and thousands of non-diabetics running their bloods largely in the 3s every day of their lives. In most instances, how would we know? They don't test, or experience a rather random test if they have a diabetic friend.

For me, I am interested when my bloods drop under 3.2/3.3, as at that point, I am generally pretty hungry, but that's simple enough to fix. I have a working pancreas and a liver that likes to look after me, and I am keen to continue to exercise those, as I would, had I not had that diagnostic test. Clearly, whatever blood score I recorded, I would pay attention to it, if I felt unwell in any way.

I understand cognitive capacity is impacted when one dips into the 2s, and on the occasions, I have been into the 2s I have acted to lift my score immediately, but still only by having a cup of tea or something insignificant.

And, finally, you I did type T2 in error (meaning T1), as referred to in your second response.
Well there's no point in arguing. True most diabetics fall into the type 2 category, with the exceptions you've mentioned. However quite a number of type 2s do take insulin as well as sulfonylureas so it's less of the type of diabetes, rather the medication one is on( which I already admitted I didn't know). So I disagree with you on that. Besides there was nothing directive about my statement. It was just a suggestion. Whether u agree with it or not 70mg/dL(3.88mm/l) is a well documented guideline.
Guidelines are just that...guidelines especially considering the diverse nature of diabetes. you worry about 3.2, others worry about higher figures.
As regards your belief that there are thousands of people running figures of 3 and below...that's conjecture at best.
Oh well...ultimately what matters is good control and the prevention/delay of complications.
Am working hard towards controlling my diabetes without medication. At some point I was on Insulin Aspart as well as 2 oral meds.( diagnosed 2months ago). Now am just on Metformin(with diet and exercise of course). Fingers crossed!

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well no

Well there's no point in arguing. True most diabetics fall into the type 2 category, with the exceptions you've mentioned. However quite a number of type 2s do take insulin as well as sulfonylureas so it's less of the type of diabetes, rather the medication one is on( which I already admitted I didn't know). So I disagree with you on that. Besides there was nothing directive about my statement. It was just a suggestion. Whether u agree with it or not 70mg/dL(3.88mm/l) is a well documented guideline.
Guidelines are just that...guidelines especially considering the diverse nature of diabetes. you worry about 3.2, others worry about higher figures.
As regards your belief that there are thousands of people running figures of 3 and below...that's conjecture at best.
Oh well...ultimately what matters is good control and the prevention/delay of complications.
Am working hard towards controlling my diabetes without medication. At some point I was on Insulin Aspart as well as 2 oral meds.( diagnosed 2months ago). Now am just on Metformin(with diet and exercise of course). Fingers crossed!

Just one point of detail, my suggestion of lots of people running on the 3s is that; so anything from 3.99 qualifies in that bracket.

I don't want to argue either, but I find it very alarming that people bringing their levels down to extremely healthy levels should be scared into carbing up because they see a number on a meter. Aside from all else, with meters' allowable tolerances of +/-15%, that already created a margin for error.

daddys1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I used to find Hovis tasted really sweet (long before I was diagnosed pre-diabetic) do they still add sugar to it? I know there has to be some to activate the yeast but it used to be quite a lot with its position in the ingredients listing... Maybe another brand?

This is the Hovis Seed Sensations Wholemeal bread, it apparently does contain caramalised Sugar, but this is not the same as the The standard Hovis which did seem very sweet which is what I used to have prior to being diagnosed.
Neil

Reactions: 2 people

daddys1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Not a great deal wrong with your breakfast figures because you were right down again at 2 hours. (although I would still ditch the granola). However, 2 slices of bread was too many carbs. It tells you on the loaf how many carbs are in a slice. I eat the Hovis Seed Sensations Wholemeal, 14 carbs per slice but loads of fibre, which I need. I can, like Jan, only manage 1 slice though, but this is fine because it is thick and filling.

Yes I'm having the same, Hovis Seed Sensations Wholemeal, in a rush making a small packup, was thinking this was 5 carbs per slice, will have to watch it in future. Thanks

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Mike - I heartily recommend you have a read of @Andrew Colvin 's thread here, which outlines his early day, after diagnosis and how he brought his blood scores into non-diabetic ranges: http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/got-my-first-3-month-hba1c-results-this-morning.55719/

Andrew is a very clever guy, who thinks through his actions and has done lots and lots of testing, on both himself and his other family members, in order to uphold his various hypothesis. He has another excellent thread on increasing carb intake, but that was after he head achieved his first stage targets.

I think you would find it exceptionally enlightening. I'm not suggesting you follow Andrew's every move, but there are some absolute gems in there which have helped me a lot along the way.

Thanks AB ... will read that over breakfast this morning :) Mike

Had a 6.2 this morning (heavy sweat which has me wondering) but excellent results last nite of 6.1 7.4 (then some exercise) and 5.2 @ 2 hours.

In fact all my evening readings are really good as are the lunchtimes. Have to keep working at it :)

Reactions: 9 people

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
3.9 is kinda pushing it, especially considering the risk of Hypoglycemic unawareness. You might need to discuss with your doctor if you keep getting levels consistently below 4mmol/L.

Think it was a blip. Never had below 4.4 in the morning and the range is usually 5 or 6 :) ... but I take your point. Thanks

Mike

Reactions: 10 people

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Well I didn't know Mike was just on Metformin.Lol. (had to check his profile which I didn't do earlier). And honestly I just assumed Mike was on Insulin(dont know why). Sorry Mike am new here and didn't know one could check profiles. Lesson learnt.
And you're right, metformin being a Biguanide has little risk of causing a hypoglycemic episode. Emphasis on little risk. However, Metformin(not in combination with other drugs) can cause Hypoglycaemia! This is especially so in patients with Kidney, Adrenal or Liver dysfunction as well as during strenous exercise and in the elderly.So never say never. Also a blood sugar level below 70mg/dL(3.88.mol/L) in a diabetic especially if consistently so, warrants an extra look. It might be nothing...and it usually is most times...but it still warrants a look.
And if you look at my comment I did mention CONSISTENTLY having figures below 4 and not on few occasions. I get figures like that occasionally especially after intense exercise.

Oh! And am from Lagos Nigeria. Not Portugal.
Cheers!!

No worries guys :) Mike

Reactions: 2 people

JohnD54

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rice
Think it was a blip. Never had below 4.4 in the morning and the range is usually 5 or 6 :) ... but I take your point. Thanks

Mike
Mike, had you have alcohol the night before, I know if I do my morning reading are lower than my norm which is low fives, but dependent on alcohol can go down to 3.5 ? Just wondering

Reactions: 5 people

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Mike, had you have alcohol the night before, I know if I do my morning reading are lower than my norm which is low fives, but dependent on alcohol can go down to 3.5 ? Just wondering

Hi John

Yes I did ... three glasses of red wine but when I do have them, they invariably keep my BS readings on an even keel (I test a LOT in the evening) and don't result in a big drop in the morning such as I experienced. As I mentioned earlier, my nighttime results are steady and consistent as are lunchtimes.

I was 6.2 this morning and I expect it'll be around 7 in two hours from now :) Crossing fingers

Mike

Reactions: 8 people

Nuthead

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Bit late for bacon (10:18pm) but testing the alcohol theory (but forgot to test b4 bed). Tobermory - whisky. Can't remember last time I had one.
NO. NO. NO.:mad:. It's NEVER to late for beloved bacon... :eek:.. EVER. o_O

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Monday morning is definitely not my favorite time of the week.

5,8 for me today waking up.

ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1416805859.929542.jpg

Have to push myself to go on my morning walk today but I can not afford to let two days go by without any exercise.

Have a great week everybody.

Pavlos

Reactions: 15 people
Status
Not open for further replies.