What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

Omar51

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
In 1970 I was advised to use saccharin to reduce weight (not that I took much sugar anyway) but having tried, I became pretty sick immediately. That was the last of saccharin. Over the years I have discovered that any artificial sugar (found in many products and eaten unnoticed) have caused similar problems. Stevia was one of the worst. I still sometimes miss it when I read labels and always have a similar reaction. So, I'm safer with sugar, even though it doesn't agree with me very well. Result? No sugar, no honey and no artificial sweeteners. Not in things I am eating, though I do use sugar in baking for others.

I don’t use any regular sweetener or artificial sweetener. Personally to me it’s all about taste and it probably takes a few months to change or develop taste. I don’t even miss sweets anymore. I see a dietitian almost quarterly, my insurance pays. Just like I check my A1c quarterly also and my insurance pays.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good day all from a grey, blustery miserable looking Little America. @gennepher and @dunelm thank you both for sharing your wonderful art. Very different but both examples of a very special gift. @Annb hug for the pain and no builders. Interesting discussion about sweeteners/sugar. I initially used sweeteners in tea and coffee but now find any sweetener leaves an unpleasant aftertaste - even sugar. I notice this in normal food if I try even a lick/bite. Panettone and small hot cross buns are interesting exceptions. I cannot stand erythritol which is widely used. If I didn't have some food with sweetener LC would be unsustainable. It is borderline now but possibly important for my big problem. It is now often a very inconvenient management tool and major nuisance for my family rather than much pleasure. Further weight loss through fasting is a big no no. I’ve grown used to being hungry most of the time. JKP does make lc/keto recipes with sweetener because my diet and calorie intake are already very restricted. A mixture of so much food no longer tasting nice - bacon, chicken and most pork or lamb for instance - and partly because I worked hard to eliminate food which spiked. Mackerel salad 5 days a week is a nonsense. Enjoy Friday even after that.

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good morning everyone from a chilled out start to the day here in the dark and dangerous north. 5.4 this am. Sugar and sugar substitutes - I steer away from them. Mrs Miggins likes a sugar in her koffy but we collect sufficient in tiny bags when visiting cafes so don’t buy the stuff. Out to dinner tonight with the Veterans club - 6pm start so well wishing my 10 hour window. Art bit - finishing off this particular sequence by using all the colours that were used individually. Hope your Friday is good to you, say hello to Mrs Odin just to make sure. Is there time for another koffy?

View attachment 67244
Out of this whole series @dunelm my favourite was the paynes grey one.
I did like seeing each one of the colours in their individuality (I'm sure I have not expressed that quite right but I think my mind is a bit fried today..)

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good day all from a grey, blustery miserable looking Little America. @gennepher and @dunelm thank you both for sharing your wonderful art. Very different but both examples of a very special gift. @Annb hug for the pain and no builders. Interesting discussion about sweeteners/sugar. I initially used sweeteners in tea and coffee but now find any sweetener leaves an unpleasant aftertaste - even sugar. I notice this in normal food if I try even a lick/bite. Panettone and small hot cross buns are interesting exceptions. I cannot stand erythritol which is widely used. If I didn't have some food with sweetener LC would be unsustainable. It is borderline now but possibly important for my big problem. It is now often a very inconvenient management tool and major nuisance for my family rather than much pleasure. Further weight loss through fasting is a big no no. I’ve grown used to being hungry most of the time. JKP does make lc/keto recipes with sweetener because my diet and calorie intake are already very restricted. A mixture of so much food no longer tasting nice - bacon, chicken and most pork or lamb for instance - and partly because I worked hard to eliminate food which spiked. Mackerel salad 5 days a week is a nonsense. Enjoy Friday even after that.
Thanks Ian ..

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Happy birthday JKP.
Glad the Dragon is back. Unless you mean.........
The latest on artificial sweeteners are that they are taking over the food world. Along with palm oil.
Well known Sugar factory across the water from my childhood. Called the cane variety white gold.
What's the odds that has now been given to AI?????
I have not had anything in my tea since around 1970, and that was half a teaspoon in my factory tea.
Cos it was mantunna tea. Yuk!.
Another factory in the city, not far from the sugar and of course the tobacco warehouse.
Which is close to the new Everton stadium at Bramley Moore dock.
And the new Isle of Man steam packet Ltd and cruising landing stage. Which is North of the three graces and Pier Head.
Who would have thought a French fellas name would be so prominent?
Geography lesson over.

6.3 this frantic fearless Friday.
Which was my third reading.
First was 5.4. Unusual, cos I haven't been that low for ages. Tested again.
6.9. Thought, well that seems closer.
6.3. I having that.
So there. Whatever!

Mrs L once again woke me up early, as it was her turn to go.
Which meant I had to go.
Which having been, took Mrs L downstairs for a cuppa.
I went back up and fell asleep, woke up again as Mrs L was clattering around in the kitchen.
Kettle is broke but working. It is the lid which is not part of the appliance no longer.
Have ordered a new one.
Mrs L wanted me to go shops at 5.30.
Mrs L asked what is for lunch?
Mrs L asked where her purse was?
When does the new kettle get here?
And more.

More scandals!
I once bought a wonderful pair of leather scandals in Greece lasted years.

It is sunny and bright. It is still a cold wind. There was a frost last night, and bloody freezing stargazing.
Rained last evening again.
Supposed to be warmer and more rain tomorrow for the footie.

Talking of footies, if you remember many weeks ago, I mentioned one of my Saturday socks had been eaten by the washing machine. Well, it turned up. Made up.
madness don't you think?

Dream was of school days and being force fed.
Eh????

Shocked but not surprised about no replays for the facup. And not being shown on terrestrial television!
Find memories of cup competitions with My lot, including a certain hammering at White Hart lane.
Greed of the elite, and the fa, of course.

My best wishes to you lot, have a nice weekend of what you enjoy.
Penultimate game of the the season for my fellow footie fans..
Glad it's got there.

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks @ianpspurs - I do like Panettone and a whole bag of hot cross buns

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Neil had a letter on Monday from Glasgow Royal Infirmary telling him that he needed to come in for a colonoscopy (they don't seem to trust the Western Isles Hospital to do these exploratory procedures). He phoned and said he would need to come overnight or have a later appointment so they said they would re-arrange it and get back to him. He just had a letter from them today to say that since he hadn't confirmed the appoinment he was given, he has been dropped from their patient list. Another instance of the right hand no knowing what the left hand was doing. He phoned them and was told they'd sort it and get back to him this afternoon. They didn't!

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Do you believe that our very rich pm, is accusing you of being part of the sick note culture?

What is better than bacon, lettuce and tomato?

The sun is shining, the blue sky is very blue. The wind has eased a little but still chilly.
but a beautiful day from indoors.

Why would a guy, who has no idea about living in poverty, criticise them openly in a press statement.
Why is he attacking the weak, the vulnerable and the poorest in our country?
Doesn't he realise, how his message is so disgusting, so corrupt, so damaging to not only him, his government, his party, the country and his demolition and destruction of this country.
Typical tories.

The other answer.........

Bacon, lettuce, tomato, with fried eggs and mushrooms.

Have a wonderful weekend.