Doctor in the House

pleinster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
ignorance
All said and done, I still think this programme is refreshing and it's informative and I'd like a lot more of it. I wish all GPs had this experience...but I understand why they don't and am staggered at how they cope with the hours they do work. The more awareness of the rubbish in our processed foods the better, for diabetics and non-diabetics.

Reactions: 6 people

mfactor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I thought it was not a good programme as far as the woman was concerned. She obviously did not have T2 as she got her HbA1c down to 40 from 59 in a month. She was just eating too many take-aways.

Sorry but I disagree .... she was T2 as her results clearly shows......

The difference between her and a non diabetic is that a non diabetic could eat all the rubbish she ate with no changes to their blood sugar levels (within the normal range), that is what differentiates us from non diabetics.......

Eating loads of rubbish does not automatically make you a diabetic and there are millions out there doing the same every week who when tested would have a normal A1c.........

And as for lowering her levels , mine have gone from 18-20 to 5 - 6.5 in 2 months using LCHF and exercise so perfectly doable....

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 8 people

mfactor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
All in all liked the show , loved the bit about bread being worse than snickers , as gawd love my parents they are great with sugar , but cant remember/get their head round carbs..........:wideyed:

Everytime I visit I get, "I will do you a sandwich" lol:)

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I recorded the programme and finally watched it last night. I was annoyed that he kept saying that T2 diabetes is due to lifestyle choice when the experience of forum members here prove that it clearly is not - from my own perspective my grandfather, mother and brother had/have T2 diabetes yet my sister who is obese does not. I used to eat a 'healthy' diet - low fat, low sugar, w/meal bread, pasta, rice, jacket potatoes and plenty of fruit and veg and still became T2 which was not helped when I went onto the, seemingly obligatory, statins. My other concern is that by repeating and, therefore, reinforcing this misconception some people who watched it may decide that they do not need to get checked for diabetes because they either eat healthily or are slim so cannot possibly be diabetic which may be detrimental to their health. What did amaze me though was that it took a doctor staying with them to highlight to them how bad their diet actually was - surely commonsense should have told them that eating burgers and chips etc 5 times a week was not a good diet. However it was the wake up call that they needed and well done to them for turning their diet and health around

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I watched it last night too and thought it was quite good overall. It was disappointing that the doctor said a couple of times that T2 is due to lifestyle choices and bad diet. It seems obvious if that was the only reason for her diagnosis then her husband should have diabetes too.

Reactions: 2 people

Russ

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Injustice
Hi everyone. This is my first post and I felt I needed to mention last nights 'Doctor' programme. Twice during the show it was suggested that type 2 is a lifestyle choice. Complete nonsense, I don't take kindly to being stereotyped, I was born with diabetes, it's a genetic thing. What lifestyle choices did I have as a foetus. If that silly woman with the takeaways had type2 why had she not seen her GP. What she really had was a slightly raised BG profile bought on by gluttony and reversed by a change of diet. I get fed up with people telling me that I need to start eating more carefully. You will not find a more more frugal and carb aware person than me. Sorry but I just needed to say it and I know that you will understand, thanks Pete.

He didn't mean acquiring the disease was a lifestyle choice. Treating it is.

Reactions: 3 people

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Well, their diet and sedentary ways were not doing any favours to their health.