What do we love/hate/like about this festive time ..

K

Kat100

People being on their own, especially the old and the vulnerable, it really breaks my heart to know that 100's and 1,000's are just left.....................
The homeless........................

Frost or a light dusting of snow, makes me have a big smile on my face, brings back happy childhood memories :joyful:
I wish no human or animal to be homeless or going through hard times X

Reactions: 4 people

poohtiggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Getting old and diabetese
If you have young children /grandchildren around Christmas day is still magical, I remember making that magic for my kids and loved every minute of it.
However that was way back when xmas started in December and not AUGUST!
We have it pushed down our throats from then on by TV and supermarkets. (Thank/ god we never had them) by the time the run up to Christmas arrives we are all sick of the sound of it and it becomes a drudge instead of the fun it used to be.
I hate wrapping presents, writing cards and visiting.

Reactions: 5 people

philchap1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Love the time with my family and friends, love the time off work, love giving gifts, it's the first Christmas without my Mam and Dad so it's going to be emotional.

Reactions: 14 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Love the time with my family and friends, love the time off work, love giving gifts, it's the first Christmas without my Mam and Dad so it's going to be emotional.

Christmas can be a very hard time for some people, I'm sure you have wonderful memories of your parents, take care. I don't know where my elderly dad will be this year, still in hospital or a care home :-(

I used to have my dad here on Christmas day ( then we had to go to him, taxi there and walk back), a neighbour who was on his own, my daughters dad too. Now it's just my teen and me, I love being with her and seeing her face on Christmas morning opening her presents and it's is still a joy, but the day isn't quite the same anymore.

Reactions: 6 people

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
I used to be bah humbug until I got this job working with adults with autism and associated learning and mental health difficulties. With encouragement they take so much joy from simple things related to Christmas and that joy really is catching. I'm not religious but this work really makes me count my blessings.

But, yeah, I hate the constant adverts. I've recently started to only watch programmes I've recorded and fast forward through the ads.

Reactions: 9 people

pleinster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
ignorance
I am hopeless at wrapping X
Love the Christmas films

2 things, Kat... 1] Is it the Christmas part of the movies, or are they just good movies that are on at Christmas?
2] It may not be that you are hopeless at wrapping...the love of a cat is a hard thing to wrap (and..it's not just for Christmas - cats hate Christmas too..just look at their wee faces at any point that day....not daft).

pleinster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
ignorance
Lol x I'm a bit "bah humbug" I'm afraid. Christmas loses it's appeal when the kids and grandkids aren't young any more and the parents are gone. I've done my share of stressing over Christmas Dinner and presents for all of them. Now I just bung some money (not much) in an envelope for the ones that are still not out working and earning their own money. Don't see much of them anyway and lucky if I even get a "thank you" from some.

I've often thought of just sending the over-indulged grandkids a card with a note in saying "You have donated to a child who won't get anything this year" and doing just that. Bet it wouldn't go down too well though but it's tempting.

I'm not even dusting off the tree this year. What's the point? Nobody's coming and it will just be him and me like any other day. He'll stuff his face and then fall asleep in front of some awful program on the TV. I'll be playing on here or watching something equally mind-numbing. Or we may be visiting a sick relative in his Care Home. For the last 2 Christmases we've done it because the rest of the family have visitors or going out for lunch.

You'd laugh but we have a TV each in the same room. I got so fed up with Jeremy Clarkson and Storage Wars and ... well you know and he would moan if I wanted an old movie or reality show so I got myself a small TV and some headphones which I have next to the computer and watch anything I like :D It's a big room and we're at opposite ends of it so it works well ...lol.

I think your excitement at snow is in inverse proportion to your age :D

Miserable old moo aint I? (blush)

Hi Copey! Aye, a bit miserable...good for you. if you were happy with the lot you describe, you'd be nuts, wouldn't you? Only joking...kind of...Honestly, I think people probably do think I'm a Scrooge. me, I'm perfectly happy not to be one of the tinsel covered, pay-xmasday-loan, asses ..I mean masses, and so I don't feel miserable at all. I am a cynical fart though. You comment about snow baffles me a bit. Did I mention snow? I do hate the stuff though...probably as I live in a rural part of Scotland and it's whiteout time approaching. Santa's dandruff does nothing for me. As for your comment regarding sending the grandkids a card saying "You have donated to a child who won't get anything this year"...which did make me chuckle...why not send one saying "You are a child who won't get anything this year and you have been donated" and send a white van round (with tinsel on it of course). And, while sitting at opposite ends of a room may seem odd - I think its nice you can do that without violence...many couples keep their marriages in tact by not being in the same house too often (hence pubs). me, I'm lucky, my wife is also a scrooge and we watch the same stuff on the same telly, and have done for 33 years (ie. the marriage..not the actual telly)! What I want for Christmas....is less Christmas...and a post meal reading that matches my pre-meal reading nice and consistently. I am not too confident that the shops will have that, let alone the elves...and even if they did...how do you wrap it up...and since I've been a pain in the ass most of the year...I wouldn't get it anyway! Ho Ho Ho. Joking aside...I hope you do have a nice time over the period known as "festive".

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've just taken the Christmas cake out of the oven, where it's been for about 5 hours, on a lowish heat. You and I might think I'd mind making a Christmas cake that I can't eat, but the funny thing is I don't care. It's still part of Christmas to make it, all the faff of greasing and lining the tin, (finding the tin first), getting all the ingredients together and mixing, making the wish, binding the tin with brown paper and string, covering the top so it doesn't burn, sitting by the fire while it cooks, the spices filling the house, listening to the storm, waiting, moment of truth to see what it looks like when it's cooked, remove the paper top, the string and the brown paper.... Leave in the tin till morning. It has baked well, all's well.

Reactions: 15 people

copey399

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Copey! Aye, a bit miserable...good for you. if you were happy with the lot you describe, you'd be nuts, wouldn't you? Only joking...kind of...Honestly, I think people probably do think I'm a Scrooge. me, I'm perfectly happy not to be one of the tinsel covered, pay-xmasday-loan, asses ..I mean masses, and so I don't feel miserable at all. I am a cynical fart though. You comment about snow baffles me a bit. Did I mention snow? I do hate the stuff though...probably as I live in a rural part of Scotland and it's whiteout time approaching. Santa's dandruff does nothing for me. As for your comment regarding sending the grandkids a card saying "You have donated to a child who won't get anything this year"...which did make me chuckle...why not send one saying "You are a child who won't get anything this year and you have been donated" and send a white van round (with tinsel on it of course). And, while sitting at opposite ends of a room may seem odd - I think its nice you can do that without violence...many couples keep their marriages in tact by not being in the same house too often (hence pubs). me, I'm lucky, my wife is also a scrooge and we watch the same stuff on the same telly, and have done for 33 years (ie. the marriage..not the actual telly)! What I want for Christmas....is less Christmas...and a post meal reading that matches my pre-meal reading nice and consistently. I am not too confident that the shops will have that, let alone the elves...and even if they did...how do you wrap it up...and since I've been a pain in the ass most of the year...I wouldn't get it anyway! Ho Ho Ho. Joking aside...I hope you do have a nice time over the period known as "festive".

Lol .. like the bit about donating the children :D I'm sure some of their parents might be relieved but since they rarely come to visit "the oldies" these days it wouldn't really benefit me. I remember when I was their age and did the obligatory visit to our oldies, some of whom were quite eccentric. They probably think we are .. lol. The TV works well and at least we are still in the same room and can have conversations. My 2 s-i-ls have their own room to sleep and watch their own TVs if they want. At least ours is more companiable and I still like a snuggle in bed with someone to put my cold feet on .. haha!

My reference to snow was just bad grammar really because I should have said "One's excitement at snow is in inverse proportion to one's age" meaning not you specifically but just generally.

Wishing you good BS over the "festive" season and do whatever makes you happy (within the restrictions imposed on us by this awful condition) xxx

C

catherinecherub

My offspring are all grown up and I have one grandson. He is 5 and still believes in Santa Claus and I shall enjoy watching him open his presents. There is nothing like watching a small child opening presents.
The grown ups, including myself, always set a price range on gifts and we do not overspend as Christmas has lost it's meaning and now is a commercial enterprise rather than the Season of Goodwill.
Weather permitting we go out walking after our Christmas lunch after we have all mucked in together to get the place reasonably tidy again, including the washing up and the wrapping paper that seems to have a life of it's own. We always visit my husband's grave and I have a few tears.
The thing I hate about modern Christmas is that people think they have to spend, spend, spend and looking at some of the shopping trollies I am convinced that some people are going on Safari rather than having a few days at home.
There might be something worth watching on the TV in the evening but we are quite happy playing board games and chatting and I really love this, a time when we are all together and enjoying ourselves.
I feel for the homeless but wish that their plight could be dealt with all year round rather than just at Christmas when charities appeal for money for a Christmas dinner for them. Anyone can end up homeless and yet there seems to be a stigma attached to it or is it stereotyping?
I also feel for those on their own whatever their age, Christmas is a time for family and friends and even a cheery word from a neighbour or an invite for a meal would help to ease the isolation that is felt. Social cohesion seems to have diminished over the years and people seem to busy to involve themselves with others. This "Big Society" is a pipe dream in the modern world.

We are missing one family member this year as he is working in New Zealand but hopefully we will talk to him via Skype, that is one modern technology that I am thankful for.

Reactions: 12 people
K

Kat100

I've just taken the Christmas cake out of the oven, where it's been for about 5 hours, on a lowish heat. You and I might think I'd mind making a Christmas cake that I can't eat, but the funny thing is I don't care. It's still part of Christmas to make it, all the faff of greasing and lining the tin, (finding the tin first), getting all the ingredients together and mixing, making the wish, binding the tin with brown paper and string, covering the top so it doesn't burn, sitting by the fire while it cooks, the spices filling the house, listening to the storm, waiting, moment of truth to see what it looks like when it's cooked, remove the paper top, the string and the brown paper.... Leave in the tin till morning. It has baked well, all's well.
That's lovely the smell of Christmas cake baking .. Glad it baked well .. It's just a lovely tradition
So nice to make .. Hope you are allowed a bit ..
Next week I will make my ginger and banana cake .. Not made it for ages now and I am looking forward to it X

Reactions: 7 people
K

Kat100

My offspring are all grown up and I have one grandson. He is 5 and still believes in Santa Claus and I shall enjoy watching him open his presents. There is nothing like watching a small child opening presents.
The grown ups, including myself, always set a price range on gifts and we do not overspend as Christmas has lost it's meaning and now is a commercial enterprise rather than the Season of Goodwill.
Weather permitting we go out walking after our Christmas lunch after we have all mucked in together to get the place reasonably tidy again, including the washing up and the wrapping paper that seems to have a life of it's own. We always visit my husband's grave and I have a few tears.
The thing I hate about modern Christmas is that people think they have to spend, spend, spend and looking at some of the shopping trollies I am convinced that some people are going on Safari rather than having a few days at home.
There might be something worth watching on the TV in the evening but we are quite happy playing board games and chatting and I really love this, a time when we are all together and enjoying ourselves.
I feel for the homeless but wish that their plight could be dealt with all year round rather than just at Christmas when charities appeal for money for a Christmas dinner for them. Anyone can end up homeless and yet there seems to be a stigma attached to it or is it stereotyping?
I also feel for those on their own whatever their age, Christmas is a time for family and friends and even a cheery word from a neighbour or an invite for a meal would help to ease the isolation that is felt. Social cohesion seems to have diminished over the years and people seem to busy to involve themselves with others. This "Big Society" is a pipe dream in the modern world.

We are missing one family member this year as he is working in New Zealand but hopefully we will talk to him via Skype, that is one modern technology that I am thankful for.
That must be very emotional going to your husbands grave .. At Christmas emotions seem just more sad .. It can be a hard time ..
I like the sound of your your grandson , aged five and still believes ... That's nice ..glad he brings you some happiness ..
Haha all that food in the shops and the waste .. Well that food could feed a lot of people ..all year round to ..
Society is not what it used to be that I agree with its sort of lost its heart .. Which is a shame ..
But do enjoy your day ,. And I would cheat at the games I like to win ;)

K

Kat100

2 things, Kat... 1] Is it the Christmas part of the movies, or are they just good movies that are on at Christmas?
2] It may not be that you are hopeless at wrapping...the love of a cat is a hard thing to wrap (and..it's not just for Christmas - cats hate Christmas too..just look at their wee faces at any point that day....not daft).
I like the tradition , the feeling of watching the Christmas films at Christmas time ..
I like to light a candle .. Be cosy and be lost in translation for that brief episode in time ..

And if it is snowing outside all the better ..
No , can't agree that cats and dogs or animals hate Christmas .. So many would love a home for Christmas ..food warmth and the love of a kind human :cat:

Reactions: 3 people
K

Kat100

Christmas can be a very hard time for some people, I'm sure you have wonderful memories of your parents, take care. I don't know where my elderly dad will be this year, still in hospital or a care home :-(

I used to have my dad here on Christmas day ( then we had to go to him, taxi there and walk back), a neighbour who was on his own, my daughters dad too. Now it's just my teen and me, I love being with her and seeing her face on Christmas morning opening her presents and it's is still a joy, but the day isn't quite the same anymore.
Christmas past present and future all wrapped up there X

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
That must be very emotional going to your husbands grave .. At Christmas emotions seem just more sad .. It can be a hard time ..
I like the sound of your your grandson , aged five and still believes ... That's nice ..glad he brings you some happiness ..
Haha all that food in the shops and the waste .. Well that food could feed a lot of people ..all year round to ..
Society is not what it used to be that I agree with its sort of lost its heart .. Which is a shame ..
But do enjoy your day ,. And I would cheat at the games I like to win ;)

We visit my teenagers dad's grave, it's a sad time for her, we remained friends until his death and he used to come over for Christmas dinner every year, expect once, when he felt too unwell, but I took his dinner over to his house and that was his last Christmas.
To all the members who have lost a loved one :-

7f0de2a1820c8fe0e8d212ff73bcd993.jpg

Reactions: 10 people

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Love the festive food,parties, time off to spend quality time with the family. Extremely organised this year, done all the shopping which I even enjoyed this year, avoiding all the hustle in the shops, so a very relaxed Christmas break. Only thing I dislike is at these times a heightened sense of grief on remembrance to the Christmas past where not all will be attending.

K

Kat100

We visit my teenagers dad's grave, it's a sad time for her, we remained friends until his death and he used to come over for Christmas dinner every year, expect once, when he felt too unwell, but I took his dinner over to his house and that was his last Christmas.
To all the members who have lost a loved one :-

7f0de2a1820c8fe0e8d212ff73bcd993.jpg
That's is beautiful robs and will mean so much to so many X

It's sad that your teen lost her dad .. those memories of Christmas spent together will be in your hearts forever .. It must be very difficult loosing someone when you are young , at Christmas just makes us feel worse ..
That memory of the last Christmas dinner .. Hope your teens dad will be sitting in that chair , just visiting .. X