What do we love/hate/like about this festive time ..

K

Kat100

I love Christmas. I love everything about it. This year is special because I was very ill & spent the past two Christmas Days in bed. No Christmas dinner, no wish to see family or friends, no desire to wake up even! No hope! So, this Christmas is a complete joy. I'm working on Christmas morning. I'm a nurse, & working at special times of the year, well...it's part of the job. But, I'll be giving the patients in my care the BEST Christmas I possibly can. They haven't chosen to be in hospital, & it's not their fault that I have to work at Christmas. So, I owe it to them to make their day special if I can. That makes it special for me too. Maybe you have to hit rock bottom in life before you truly feel the spirit of the season. Yes, it's too commercial, & there can be negatives if you see it that way. But, it's the only day of the year that total strangers will smile at you and wish you well. It's good to keep the spirit of Christmas in your heart...and embrace the joy of the season. Go see kids visiting Santas grotto in your shopping centre...truly magical. Pay a visit to a homeless shelter with mince pies or good used warm clothing. Your local cat & dog shelter will need warm blankets, pet treats & toys. Donate to your local food bank. Just do something kind. Anything. It doesn't need to cost money. Your time is equally as valuable to those in need. Believe me, these acts of kindness are good for the soul, make you feel good about life, as well as being appreciated by those on the receiving end. I sound a right goody two shoes. I'm most certainly not! But I've learnt through experience that everyone can make a difference, however small...if you choose to. To those who will be remembering family & friends no longer with you...may the joy of remembering your loved one(s) lighten your load & give you peace of heart.

Merry Christmas folks. X

View attachment 16744
Hi AJ so glad you are better now .. Sounds like you have been through a lot ..
Working in hospitals at Christmas is very rewarding ..
Whatever you do I know you will love Christmas .. Enjoy it all ..Sending you Christmas wishes .. Kat X

Reactions: 9 people
K

Kat100

I am loving the Christmas programme though the years , 40's 50's etc 70's tonight ..
I thought the 60's family Christmas portrayed a rich 1960's family though ..
Love the gifts .. But I don't want a Hoover or a tea trolley .. :rolleyes:

Reactions: 11 people

Alisonjane10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies, discrimination of any kind, bad manners, parents who let their kids run amok & spoil things for everyone else, unkind spiteful people, being a clumsy clod, toast crumbs in the bed, cold feet!!
Hi AJ so glad you are better now .. Sounds like you have been through a lot ..
Working in hospitals at Christmas is very rewarding ..
Whatever you do I know you will love Christmas .. Enjoy it all ..Sending you Christmas wishes .. Kat X

Hi @Kat100. Thank you for those kind words. This is a great thread & ive laughed out loud at some of the posts. Felt compassion for, and the grief of some posters too.

I wish you & yours a magical, loving & peace-filled Christmas. X

Reactions: 9 people
K

Kat100

Hi @Kat100. Thank you for those kind words. This is a great thread & ive laughed out loud at some of the posts. Felt compassion for, and the grief of some posters too.

I wish you & yours a magical, loving & peace-filled Christmas. X
Thank you AJ .. Chat anytime .. We have all,of next year to .. X love the Christmas pictures to X

Reactions: 6 people

Patricia21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Animal crualty
Its not christmas yet its advent until christmas eve.
We are controlled by retail making money,a lot of pressure on people who cant afford it.
Now my children and four of my grandchildren have grown up I could do without it,

poohtiggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Getting old and diabetese
Yes, I think it all depends at what stage in your life you are at.
When you have children it's all about them and often your parents.
When they grow up and want to do their own thing you still make it nice for the parents.
Grandchildren come along and the house is full again.
We're now at the stage where grandkids are grown up, parents sadly gone along with other family members and the sparkle seems to have gone out of it.
But for everyone who is still enjoying it remember we've been there and done it all and just reached a time in our lives when we're quite content to sit back now and leave the manic Christmas time to the ones who have a good reason to make it a pleasurable experience for others. xx
My sisters and me always took turns at having mum & dad over for Christmas Day, then on Boxing day they went to another sister and Christmas Sunday another sister, then when Dad died and Mum was on her own she went to my youngest sister every Christmas Eve and over into Xmas Day, she came to us on
Boxing Day. One Xmas I went to collect her and she looked so sad and said she ljust wanted to stay at home, we could not bear the thought of her alone so the yearly routine went on.
Now I'm on my own and in my 70's I realise how Mum felt that day, I would be happy for everyone to do their thing and leave me alone for one day to do as I please, get up when I please, eat drink snack and watch whatever I wish to on TV. I have done Xmas with my kids, the grandkids, i love my greats grandkids too but don't really want the hype & excitement they bring with them, I would just like a day to myself. I'm not being grumpy I just want the choice. However, i'm cooking for my daughter and SIL and myself, maybe I will get my choice next year

Reactions: 16 people

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My sisters and me always took turns at having mum & dad over for Christmas Day, then on Boxing day they went to another sister and Christmas Sunday another sister, then when Dad died and Mum was on her own she went to my youngest sister every Christmas Eve and over into Xmas Day, she came to us on
Boxing Day. One Xmas I went to collect her and she looked so sad and said she ljust wanted to stay at home, we could not bear the thought of her alone so the yearly routine went on.
Now I'm on my own and in my 70's I realise how Mum felt that day, I would be happy for everyone to do their thing and leave me alone for one day to do as I please, get up when I please, eat drink snack and watch whatever I wish to on TV. I have done Xmas with my kids, the grandkids, i love my greats grandkids too but don't really want the hype & excitement they bring with them, I would just like a day to myself. I'm not being grumpy I just want the choice. However, i'm cooking for my daughter and SIL and myself, maybe I will get my choice next year

It can be very difficult explaining to others how we feel about stuff: we are all at different points on that old road. My mum died 5 years ago, and my dad last January, and I look back now and realise how little I really understood their territory. Tbh, though, it's really not something to feel guilty about, I think it's just an understanding that gets clearer as you get older. I expect it happened to them too.

Reactions: 12 people

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
Don't like Christmas - I've got a partner and they are into Christmas. I just can't wait for it all to be over. Don't like going visiting relatives over the Christmas period - exchanging presents and all that, I'd just prefer to stop at home. Liam.

MH2010

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I LOVE being able to help those less fortunate than myself at Xmas, LOVE buying presents (my house is like Santa's grotto, minus the elves!!)

The only thing I truly HATE is having to go up to my Mum's to watch my niece and nephews open their presents (I had a daughter who was adopted who is the same age as a nephew and my niece).

copey399

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Yes, that's just it, how I feel now. For years it was always me doing the catering because it was just the way it worked out and I would be flushed and panicky as to whether it would all be nice enough and done all at the same time and by the time I sank down to eat I wasn't very hungry. My guests would arrive all freshly made up and hair done etc. and I'd wish just once I could just turn up and be fed. Then latterly I was only cooking for my son and his latest partner, plus his son and g/f. A couple of years ago I had the most awful dose of flu and had to cancel. I was mortified to let them down but my son said it was fine as they were happy just chilling out and doing their own thing and my grandson said he was always invited to his g/f's anyway and it made me think that they probably thought I'd be upset if they didn't come.

Nowadays we could go out for a Christmas Day meal but I begrudge the prices they charge (yes I know they have to pay staff extra) because you come away without any "leftovers" for boxing day and what you pay for one meal each would easily cover the cost of dinner for two all over the Christmas holidays.

K

Kat100

I LOVE being able to help those less fortunate than myself at Xmas, LOVE buying presents (my house is like Santa's grotto, minus the elves!!)

The only thing I truly HATE is having to go up to my Mum's to watch my niece and nephews open their presents (I had a daughter who was adopted who is the same age as a nephew and my niece).
Sorry about your daughter .. That is sad ..
For me .. Well I am of an age ..
Where I reflect that I didn't have children .. So no grandchildren ..to look forward to ..
I would of loved a Christmas with children and all that magic ..
I am ok about it all .. But I think children at Christmas .. Well it must be magic .. X hope you have some good memories @ MH2010 X
So the elves are with you :rolleyes:

Reactions: 3 people
K

Kat100

Yes, that's just it, how I feel now. For years it was always me doing the catering because it was just the way it worked out and I would be flushed and panicky as to whether it would all be nice enough and done all at the same time and by the time I sank down to eat I wasn't very hungry. My guests would arrive all freshly made up and hair done etc. and I'd wish just once I could just turn up and be fed. Then latterly I was only cooking for my son and his latest partner, plus his son and g/f. A couple of years ago I had the most awful dose of flu and had to cancel. I was mortified to let them down but my son said it was fine as they were happy just chilling out and doing their own thing and my grandson said he was always invited to his g/f's anyway and it made me think that they probably thought I'd be upset if they didn't come.

Nowadays we could go out for a Christmas Day meal but I begrudge the prices they charge (yes I know they have to pay staff extra) because you come away without any "leftovers" for boxing day and what you pay for one meal each would easily cover the cost of dinner for two all over the Christmas holidays.
I know it's expensive for one meal .. Then you would think of all you could of bought with the food money ..
I would hate to go out Christmas Day .. I used to work Christmas .. Now the day is mine and I love it ..
It's hard though all the cooking and pressure .. X

Reactions: 2 people
K

Kat100

Don't like Christmas - I've got a partner and they are into Christmas. I just can't wait for it all to be over. Don't like going visiting relatives over the Christmas period - exchanging presents and all that, I'd just prefer to stop at home. Liam.
Hope you get some time at home to just enjoy your time

Reactions: 2 people
K

Kat100

That's it , we can often think people are lonely and suggest xyz .. But really they just want to be at home .. In their own space ..
With own life and memories .. X of course you are not being grumpy .. But you can be in the new year pantomime ;) X

Reactions: 7 people
K

Kat100

Its not christmas yet its advent until christmas eve.
We are controlled by retail making money,a lot of pressure on people who cant afford it.
Now my children and four of my grandchildren have grown up I could do without it,
But do I still have time to shop pat ;) X
Without the pressure though that is the worst .. X

K

Kat100

What I liked and this was last year .
I Was watching a parent and her children on Christmas Eve just walking round the super market , no panic , they were having great fun .. They were not looking for all the traditional foods , they found offeres and reductions , foods for the big day were chosen as they shopped , like an adventure , I don't think there would of been much cooking , but I guess they were going to have a very nice day .. It was nice to see such a relaxed and happy food shop . And they were not conforming X

Reactions: 5 people
K

Kat100

Another thought , I have two old friends
Who just create a buffet for themselves on Christmas Day .. No stress for them .
And they have one rule on gifts

Something to read
Something to eat
Something as a surprize ..

Why have I never followed this example ..

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Listened to radio 2 yesterday about how people feel about christmas who have lost their loved ones this year.
My brother in law lost his wife 7 weeks ago and is deciding to have xmas at home with his "wife's" memories by himself.
The only child they had commited suicide 20 years ago...so it is people who have lost their loved ones that I truly feel sad for. Ones with children etc have some joy hopefully. To have lost someone this year and to have your first xmas by yourself seems really sad to me. I feel for all those people.

copey399

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Listened to radio 2 yesterday about how people feel about christmas who have lost their loved ones this year.
My brother in law lost his wife 7 weeks ago and is deciding to have xmas at home with his "wife's" memories by himself.
The only child they had commited suicide 20 years ago...so it is people who have lost their loved ones that I truly feel sad for. Ones with children etc have some joy hopefully. To have lost someone this year and to have your first xmas by yourself seems really sad to me. I feel for all those people.

Yes the first Christmas without a loved one is so very, very sad. I lost my son 16 years ago aged 36 and my mum 18 years ago but it still hurts like hell and the memories of Christmases past in happier times makes it extra difficult at this time of year. Really feel for your b-i-l. xxx

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
Hi. Time is NOT a good healer - as the saying go's! It's 5 years since I lost my Mum, I cared for her for 9 years - she had Alzheimer's. I just want this Christmas day to be spent with my partner, and visit the family on boxing day - but they say I'm going against tradition! And so, as always I have given in to them.