Beer/alcohol

Mattcross83

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Does anyone know what's the best beer/alcohol to drink which doesn't make you got to high!?

Mattcross83

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've found that's better too just wondering what others because some are worse than others

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Beer spikes me big time. Wine/Prosecco is okay with my bg but I weigh 2lbs more the following morning (temporary fluid retention). It's always gone by the next day but my face still looks puffy. The best for me with no affect on bg or fluid retention is gin or vodka and diet tonic. (But I do give in to the Prosecco craving most weekends.)

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
spirits with diet coke/tonic/lemonade but watch your levels next day
red wine and dry white wine/prosecco
For beer I need to inject

Tylers73

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My friend with diabetes drinks bud or light beer he has been diagnosed for 20 yrs now seems to suit him. But everyone different and obviously how much you drink, what you've eaten etc. Xmas time for diabetics yeahhhh not lol

cz_dave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I avoid beer completely but would quite often have a glass or two of wine and sometimes a shot of rum. Neither wine nor rum spikes me.

Reactions: 2 people

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Wine is great. Doesn't affect bg levels at all. This is what lager does to me (with corrective insulin):

5fd8876e4d3f92e6a760319c2cbd58cc.jpg

cz_dave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Crazy. Let's stick to wine. Any comments on spirits, such as whiskey, rum, cognac, @tim2000s ? Is it ok for a diabetic to have the occasional shot of something stronger?

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Crazy. Let's stick to wine. Any comments on spirits, such as whiskey, rum, cognac, @tim2000s ? Is it ok for a diabetic to have the occasional shot of something stronger?
The only issues I've experienced are with beer and lager. Everything else just doesn't have this effect.

Mattcross83

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Mine are like a that too Tim might have get on the spirits more bring on the headaches haha do love my beer though what's John smiths and things like that like

debsugs

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I have the opposite problem, I find that all alcohol tends to drop my sugar and end up having to drink spirits with full sugar mixers to keep them up! Last night after sharing a bottle of wine my sugar was 5.4 going to bed, I had 2 digestives and was freezing cold (another thing Ive found) I then woke about 3 coming out of hypo - sweating and high sugar this morning. Whats that all about??

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I find Red Wine has little effect on my bg levels, spirit wise I stick to Brandy and Gin & Tonic which again has little effect, but like all alcohol it's best to drink in moderation and be aware that alcohol can lower bg levels for several hours after drinking, I found when I was a beer drinker in my youth I'd go hypo the following morning if I didn't take on board extra carbs.

Reactions: 2 people

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I find Red Wine has little effect on my bg levels, spirit wise I stick to Brandy and Gin & Tonic which again has little effect, but like all alcohol it's best to drink in moderation and be aware that alcohol can lower bg levels for several hours after drinking, I found when I was a beer drinker in my youth I'd go hypo the following morning if I didn't take on board extra carbs.
I think that's more the case for me too. It's the following day that I've tended to see increased hypo risk rather than the night after drinking.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have the opposite problem, I find that all alcohol tends to drop my sugar and end up having to drink spirits with full sugar mixers to keep them up! Last night after sharing a bottle of wine my sugar was 5.4 going to bed, I had 2 digestives and was freezing cold (another thing Ive found) I then woke about 3 coming out of hypo - sweating and high sugar this morning. Whats that all about??

Alcohol can make me low too, so I tend to nibble carbs as I drink eg if out I'll have a few crisps, if at home I might have some plain crackers, etc. I don't have a lot but I find I need this to offset the alcohol. If I was having spirits and a low carb mixer, I'd do the same. The reason I avoid sugary mixers is they can, for me, give a false impression that my blood sugar is ok and then I'll drop later.

If I'm drinking in the evening, I often set an alarm for around 1 or 2am just to make sure I'm not going low.

I'm not a big beer drinker so I tend to stick to small bottles or half pints and find that I don't go high with those (but don't need any carbs with them)

Baileys - I've found a small glass is ok for my sugars, but that's just me.

Reactions: 4 people

Adam29

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Mattcross83, Hi Matt, this came across my mind recently - I managed to find the below on another forum which is quite interesting:

'I have emailed the brewers of the beers below to get the exact number of carbs for their beers. These are the values they sent back. I've converted them so that they are all for a UK pint.

Beer UK pint(568ml)

Marstons Low C 3.41

Bindings Diat Pils 3.98

Miller Lite 4.26

Michelob Ultra 4.43

Coors Light 7.55

Corona Light 8.63

Amstel Light 8.63

Holsten Pils 11.19

Becks 11.36

Carlsberg 15.34

Stella Artois 16.76