Regular moderate exercise log

Annieok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have done 39,000 steps over 4 days so I'm on target for 70,000 steps this week, if I can keep it up!

Reactions: 5 people

JenniferW

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
8 miles yesterday which I think was too much for me

How much walking are you aiming for? It's taken me months to work out not just how much I can cope with at present without wiping myself out, but the sheer mechanics of re-arranging life to get in the time for walking.

Reactions: 2 people

JenniferW

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have done 39,000 steps over 4 days so I'm on target for 70,000 steps this week, if I can keep it up!

Yesterday I was feeling less-than-pleased with myself because I didn't hit the day's goal, but then I also looked at the week's average and it was over 10,000 / day. I read somewhere that the exercise effects on blood glucose levels last something like 24 hours - had you also picked that sort of information up?

Reactions: 4 people

Annieok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes, I try to average over a week so that I can add more at the weekend if I've not been making my goals. Back in November I managed over 100,000 steps one week and I felt great. But the weather and the dark mornings and evening really bring me down. At least only another few days and the days will begin to get longer again.

Reactions: 3 people

JenniferW

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, I try to average over a week so that I can add more at the weekend if I've not been making my goals. Back in November I managed over 100,000 steps one week and I felt great. But the weather and the dark mornings and evening really bring me down. At least only another few days and the days will begin to get longer again.

You're more organised than I am! But that's a good plan. All my routines are chaos at present as I'm in the process of packing up getting ready to move in the new year. But once this is sorted and I can plan regular walking again, I'll pinch your plan.

Hiitsme

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
How much walking are you aiming for? It's taken me months to work out not just how much I can cope with at present without wiping myself out, but the sheer mechanics of re-arranging life to get in the time for walking.

I'm aiming for 10,000 a day - between 4 and 5 miles. Yesterday I forgot to buy some wrapping paper so had to go out again and I've got so used to walking everywhere I just walked again, but felt really shattered. Partly I think it was stress which normally walking helps with. If I don't do the walking then I shouldn't eat as much and I do like my food. It's trying to balance everything and that I find difficult.

JenniferW

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm aiming for 10,000 a day ... It's trying to balance everything and that I find difficult.

It's trying to balance everything and that I find difficult is the understatement of the year! I can't believe how difficult 'lifestyle' change turns out to be! people have no idea, do they?

Annieok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It's practically a full time job! I managed 10,285 today so I'm putting my feet up and taking my pedometer off.

JenniferW

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's practically a full time job! ....

You're not kidding! If you're someone who was regularly doing some sort of sport or exercising, I assume you still get told to do more, but at least you already have a space in your life for this sort of thing. All I ever used to do was maybe go off on a nice country walk somewhere once a week, maybe twice in the summer, and go swimming once in a blue moon. Just thinking about walking every day is new for me!

Hiitsme

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
5 miles today walking. I'm retired and was mostly inactive over the last few years. We would go for walks occasionally but always used the car for shopping. Now I walk to the shops and as I have to carry shopping home I have to do a lot more trips to the shops. Yes I do find coping with diabetes a full time job and my hobbies have been put to the side this year, It's also all the food planning and cooking from scratch that I find so stressful.

Safi

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The food planning is tricky. I live out of town so have been menu planning for years (mainly to avoid extra trips to the market) but having to come up with interesting, nutritious meals that suit both my blood sugar, my husbands cholesterol & both our palates can get tiring &/or boring. I actually like cooking but it can be a drag when there are restrictions. Exercise is easy at the moment as we're both on leave but when that ends it will be back to trying to fit it in around everything else & trying not to resent it.

9km walk v. early this am (another scorcher) & a hour or so kayaking after lunch.

JenniferW

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
5 miles today walking. I'm retired and was mostly inactive over the last few years. We would go for walks occasionally but always used the car for shopping. Now I walk to the shops and as I have to carry shopping home I have to do a lot more trips to the shops. Yes I do find coping with diabetes a full time job and my hobbies have been put to the side this year, It's also all the food planning and cooking from scratch that I find so stressful.

So much of this sounds VERY similar! Friends and family mean well, but few seem to have much idea just what the 'lifestyle' changed demand, let alone why!

JenniferW

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
... 9km walk v. early this am (another scorcher) & a hour or so kayaking after lunch.

What part of the world are you in? The idea of a scorcher as I sit here looking at dismal grey British skies, makes me wonder.

Safi

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
South Eastern coast of Australia @JenniferW & we've got another scorcher today - I'm breaking a sweat just sitting here!

Did 30min yoga/strength & 30min low impact cardio early this morning. Kayaks are on the car ready to go but the sun has a mean kick to it so we may put it off until morning. Might go for a walk on the beach before dinner but I wouldn't bet the farm on it.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
About to take my four legged friend out for a nice long walk :)

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
@Safi can answer for himself but Australian diabetes sites are IMO utter garbage. I'll kick my country anytime it suits and in this instance, no hesitation.