What's everyone having for Christmas dinner?

Kaz261

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm still fairly new to RH and this will be my first low (ish) carb Christmas. I was therefore wondering how you tackle Christmas dinner? Any tips/ideas gratefully received!

We're at my parents on Christmas Day. They are very traditional and pretty much every meal has to include lots of potato! I've just made some sugar free cranberry sauce and am thinking it's ok to have the traditional turkey dinner minus the obvious baddies (roast potatoes, parsnips, stuffing etc)? I've also found a recipe for raspberry cream which looks a little like a cheesecake. It uses sugar free biscuits and ground almonds in the base (I know the biscuits still have carbs), cream and raspberries and sugar free jelly on the top. Does this sound okish?

Reactions: 2 people

Arab Horse

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sounds great, Prawn cocktail to start minus the dressing, I prefer it with a squirt of lemon juice anyway.

Have a great say.

Kaz261

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks! Was wondering what to have to start. I love prawns so could be a winner . Have a great day too

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It sounds pretty good! There are some great low carb festive foods if we think outsude the box... Look at some of our other low carb Christmas threads for further food ideas - some people try to stay low carb, and others opt for a day off! :D

I'm having smoked salmon with cream cheese and dill for starters, roast chicken with sprouts and maybe a couple of baby carrots, and roast celeriac (husband's suggestion this last one!), and I'm going to make me a sort of low carb black forest gateau for my pud. I'm debating trying a low carb stuffing - I accidentally made a tasty but sadly unrepeatable one with coconut flour for one roast chicken meal last year, so may have another attempt with sesame flour instead.

Robbity

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Beef tenderloin, roasted green veg (probably green beans) and a salad. No day off for me. It takes too many days to fix it. I will save left overs for the next day so I get the meal twice.

Reactions: 6 people

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree! I'm afraid don't really see the point of choosing to revert (even for a very short time) to previous eating habits when there's so much good food we can still eat.

Robbity

Reactions: 4 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We will have:

B: smoked salmon and scram egg
L: steak, stilton, salad, fried onions
D: cheese

Mr B may indulge in a mince pie, or a piece of xmas pud.

We've discussed alcohol, and said 'you know, I don't think I can be bothered'.

We've done this the last 3 years.
Prefer it to the turkey trimming stuff.

Reactions: 7 people

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Roast turkey with salad and maybe a couple potatoes, herring and carp (traditional in Poland where Im from) and I will do some low carb baking. Probably mini cheesecakes and chocolate tart but I'm thinking about low carb black forest gateau too. Difficult decision :)

S

Shar67

Vegetarian Indian dishes
Starter, mushroom stuffed with keema
Mixed veg bhindi
Tarka Dhal (lentils)

Reactions: 7 people

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
B1 Gammon, eggs, mushrooms, black pudding,.
B2. Ditto
L1. Small Apple
L2. Turkey, veg.
T1. Turkey, salad.
T2. Undecided. Probably, nuts, fruit etc.
S1 Yoghurt, berries, chocolate.
S2. Some meat, or nuts if up still!

That's my plan! But it will probably change due to time of dinner!

Sucre Bleu

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
:)
Thanks! Was wondering what to have to start. I love prawns so could be a winner . Have a great day too
that is a good idea, there are quite a few low carb/sugar free cocktail sauce recipes around if anyone needs one instead of sugar laden jars of the stuff. Coming from the land downunder most of the population have seafood feasts this time of the year, dipping sauce variety is important at our house. I usually provide my homemade apricot sweet chili mayo, to not only our table, but whiz up an enormous batch for various friends.
thinking about that, I realized I would rather have a small dollop of yummy sauce rather than compromise on flavor, and trim something off elsewhere.
And that's a good way to be, willing to compromise and it all works out.
A friend popped in the other day with a homemade mince pie each to have with coffee. I had half, it was yum, but I realized I am now not enjoying the sweetness. So that is them crossed off the list for the year

Reactions: 9 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
:)
I would rather have a small dollop of yummy sauce rather than compromise on flavor, and trim something off elsewhere.
And that's a good way to be, willing to compromise and it all works out.

I am the same :)

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Roast Turkey with sprouts, carrots, celeriac mash, leeks, 1 roast spud and new spud, pigs in blankets with 90% sausages, stuffing and gravy followed by pavlova for those that want it and sugar free jelly with berries and fresh cream for me. I've also got mince pies and individual Christmas puds if anyone wants one!

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
OMG forgot pigs in blanket and stuffing!
Also as a garnish, cucumber and onion soaked in vinegar!

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am the same :)

Me too. And, I think it helps me feel I'm not missing out on anything, and helps others around the table think the same. I couldn't be bothered with others trying to really persuade me to bury myself in carbs. If I wanted to, I would!

Thankfully, our table will be such this year that that won't be likely to happen anyway. :)

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
OMG forgot pigs in blanket and stuffing!
Also as a garnish, cucumber and onion soaked in vinegar!

Nosh - What will be in your stuffing? The usual sausage meat, with bread would surely be a bit problematic for you?

Kaz261

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
Was about to ask the same question about the stuffing Nosher. Would love some, but the standard recipes must be high in carbs? Oh, I used to love cucumber and onion soaked in vinegar! Haven't had it since I left home 15 years ago. I must make some

Kaz261

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks all. So many great ideas! I realised after I posted that I had probably put it in the wrong part of the forum. Sorry, I'm still new to all this! If anyone has a link or recipe for a low carb Black Forest gateau it would be much appreciated. I think I need to free some time up to get baking....if only I could find some energy! Soooo tired today and "vacant" today

Kaz261

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
Roast Turkey with sprouts, carrots, celeriac mash, leeks, 1 roast spud and new spud, pigs in blankets with 90% sausages, stuffing and gravy followed by pavlova for those that want it and sugar free jelly with berries and fresh cream for me. I've also got mince pies and individual Christmas puds if anyone wants one!
Thanks Daphne917! How do you do your celeriac mash? When I tried it was really watery and just got stuck in the ricer! I ended up with water in the bowl and a ricer full of celeriac! Needless to say, it ended up in the bin

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks Daphne917! How do you do your celeriac mash? When I tried it was really watery and just got stuck in the ricer! I ended up with water in the bowl and a ricer full of celeriac! Needless to say, it ended up in the bin
It is a bit watery but I don't put too much butter with it which seems to help.