Your thoughts on the future of the forum

K

Kat100

I don't think it's quite dislike - it's more of a 'I don't agree', I'll clarify that tomorrow.

Are you using in grey? Its under your username?

5879824f8d.png

That's not intended. The intention is to actually understand what people think. A like isn't always appropriate - so it's more like thanks, like, optimistic, i don't agree, etc - I will clarify tomorrow.

It's not about segregation, it's about cohesion. It's about improving health and in this case it's about seeing past the label (we're a community, it's not about labels) - realising that the label is *really* useful to giving you context about what you're reading. For example, if a newly diagnosed member with T1D came in and received info from someone who had prediabetes in a thread. It's unlikely, granted - point being that it's useful to know who you're speaking to and putting it under the username kinda makes sense.

There's an option for Private in the settings, too. (In an online community though, I do think there's a benefit to showing that. For example, if someone claims to be a doctor - at the moment you'd only know he was a Newbie.)

It's for Family member (it was 'A family member has diabetes' but there's a character limit as there's not much space there).

Private is in. :)

Online? Posts, likes, engagements, etc.

Agreed - that's why it's a community.

Ont hat note, there's something else we'd like to try, which is allowing members who have been banned in the past being allowed to rejoin (if a permanent ban is/was served). Currently, they're unable to use the forum (unless they go to the trouble of creating another account with a different email, etc - which does happen) and it makes sense that a community showed compassion like that. Plus, if you contributed to the forum, it makes sense that you'd continue from where you were once banned... we're just talking to the mods about it and will have something ready for 2016.

See, the Dislike button (or the I don't agree button) would have been perfect right now :)
It says prefer not to say?
thanks got it .. :)

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
My only request is to keep it simple as with eyes on my 2 kids at the same time as blogging can be very stressful but necessary! No me time so this the only way I can participate.
At first glace I liked I knew who I was conversing with (type too.) However it should be voluntary as to which status you would like to be labelled. Maybe allowed to be editted on profile for example?

Reactions: 2 people

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ah, so the option to set the text colour would be useful? That is certainly possible and totally makes sense.
Not sure what you mean? If you mean I could set the monochrome version and posts would remain monochrome regardless of what others set as the colour of their text that would enable me to read all posts.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My only request is to keep it simple as with eyes on my 2 kids at the same time as blogging can be very stressful but necessary! No me time so this the only way I can participate.
At first glace I liked I knew who I was conversing with (type too.) However it should be voluntary as to which status you would like to be labelled. Maybe allowed to be editted on profile for example?
Also, if profile is set as 'hidden', surely the diabetic status should not have been shown in new labelling without prior notice?

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Can we make sure that people that are not logged in and just reading cannot see the type, i.e., the field is only available to registered members

Reactions: 9 people

Administrator

Staff Member
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Can we make sure that people that are not logged in and just reading cannot see the type, i.e., the field is only available to registered members

We'll get the tech guys started on this tomorrow.

75% of people read the forum for 6-12 weeks before they join - just worth bearing in mind (but I do agree, it makes sense that registered members would see it).

Administrator

Staff Member
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Also, if profile is set as 'hidden', surely the diabetic status should not have been shown in new labelling without prior notice?

That's something that the guys were working on towards the end of today, it should be live tomorrow. (For the meantime, you can choose 'Prefer not to say'.)

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
We'll get the tech guys started on this tomorrow.

75% of people read the forum for 6-12 weeks before they join - just worth bearing in mind (but I do agree, it makes sense that registered members would see it).
Thanks just a little worried about bots etc. that will be able to mine the data (esp as I didnt realise the name field was going to be username but it is too late to change now as too many know me now)

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Nobody has commented on your mention of previously banned members being allowed to rejoin.
Can you explain further, @Administrator?

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That's something that the guys were working on towards the end of today, it should be live tomorrow. (For the meantime, you can choose 'Prefer not to say'.)
Almost want to choose 'I do not have diabetes', but that would be tempting fate!

Administrator

Staff Member
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Almost want to choose 'I do not hVe diabetes', but that would be tempting fate!

Well, technically, should there be a choice for 'Type 2 in remission'? Or similar?

K

Kat100

For what it's worth .. The banning is a big emotive subject ... Can be harmful at times , patronising at times ..
But sometimes .. Perhaps just a bit of time out might be needed .. Many reasons cause many different reactions .. And less power of the ban button at times .. Might be nicer .. Members and moderators are all working for the same cause .. So a bit of kindness and understanding from all .. Would be nice .. Not saying there isn't .. Must add ..

Well it's Christmas , miricules might happen :rolleyes: but I need to give that more thought now you have mentioned it ..
I will have to ask Santa ..

@Administrator

I did not understand the family label .. I do now I have found it .. No harm meant .. Thought you just meant family like a member of one .. Had not seen the list untill tonight, of the choices .. On the list ..

Last edited:

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
That would be me being terminally lazy and not scrolling.

Looking at the list, all I can notice missing is "Trust me I'm a Doctor".

I'll get my coat.
Thrust me - I am :)

edit: lol trust not thrust

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
For what it's worth .. The banning is a big emotive subject ... Can be harmful at times , patronising at times ..
But sometimes .. Perhaps just a bit of time out might be needed .. Many reasons cause many different reactions .. And less power of the ban button at times .. Might be nicer .. Members and moderators are all working for the same cause .. So a bit of kindness and understanding from all .. Would be nice ..

Well it's Christmas , miricules might happen :rolleyes: but I need to give that more thought now you have mentioned it ..
I will have to ask Santa ..

@Administrator

I did not understand the family label .. I do now I have found it .. No harm meant .. Thought you just meant family like a member of one .. Had not seen the list untill tonight, of the choices .. On the list ..
Well, technically, should there be a choice for 'Type 2 in remission'? Or similar?
yes, but only for those members who choose to display their status. Anyone who has private profile setting should not have status displayed without prior agreement.

Reactions: 3 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I use the monochrome/grey option, and I can also now see the type under the user names. Thank you for sorting that. I think having the type visible is a good thing. It should stop some of the inappropriate advice we sometimes see on threads.

Whatever happens with the upgrade, PLEASE keep it simple. I personally dislike the ideas of colours anywhere other than avatars of course. Why do folk think they are necessary? I fail to understand, but as I never really look at the main forum page (I just use Recent or New Posts unless I wish to start a thread) it wouldn't bother me very much.

As for permanently banned members coming back, it really depends on why they were banned. There are one or two I can think of who should never be allowed back, but on the other hand there are some that should.

Reactions: 4 people

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
More than just a like - ability to dislike, agree, disagree through buttons

The "dislike" I dislike .... a lot .... too confrontational for me and invites an argument where it might not be intended. The "disagree" is entirely different however.

Labels are contentious as well (not that I care that much) so as with everything, there's always preferences and objections.

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislike - if you can't say something nice......,

Could see that button followed by a lot of ex members in a very short time.