Your thoughts on the future of the forum

Hiitsme

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I like the "Type" being clearly visible. Am concerned about a "dislike" button as to how it could be used. I hope that gets well thought through.

Reactions: 3 people

Duncan57

Type of diabetes
Type 2
A sub forum on Benefit questions might be useful. What to claim and dealing with problems arising from claims.

Reactions: 2 people

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I notice that on the Ask A Question forum there already seems to be some sort of coding that prefaces the question title with "Type n" - why couldn't that be applied to all Type 1 posts (in particular) since they're the ones who seem so touchy about other types intruding onto their special threads? ;)

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I notice that on the Ask A Question forum there already seems to be some sort of coding that prefaces the question title with "Type n" - why couldn't that be applied to all Type 1 posts (in particular) since they're the ones who seem so touchy about other types intruding onto their special threads? ;)

Good job we haven't a 'dislike' button yet.
No issue with type 1's.
We're all in this together, no one is 'special'

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people

Why don't you start a thread asking us 'Type 1's' since we all seem so touchy about other types, and on the Ask A Question section too ..........................

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Me neither. I would prefer just one 'thanks' button to show appreciation for the post having been made.

Feathers get ruffled already and sometimes vultures fly down and go for the carcass, ripping it apart.

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
so will each dislike you get remove a like count so you can go negative. That way it is a sort of Karma level... Should all the likes be reset so we all start again? Do we have a counter for each new button? We could then have an achievement of going from a a high karma to a low karma in a month without being banned ;)

Reactions: 6 people

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Why don't you start a thread asking us 'Type 1's' since we all seem so touchy about other types, and on the Ask A Question section too ..........................
Where did I say "all"? I don't think it's all Type 1s and certainly never meant to imply that.

I'd actually like to see this for all posts since it's easier than reading the fine print to see which forum the topic was posted in if you use "recent" or "new" posts to navigate the forum.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
so will each dislike you get remove a like count so you can go negative. That way it is a sort of Karma level... Should all the likes be reset so we all start again? Do we have a counter for each new button? We could then have an achievement of going from a a high karma to a low karma in a month without being banned ;)
lol.

I would prefer there to be no tally at all, just a thanks button shown at the post itself The likes don't mean much anymore. One particular poster I'm thinking of doesn't post that often but every single post is of great value. Then there are others who are simply in a friendship group and get likes from their friends almost every time they post. I have noticed some of the moderators liking each others posts often too. We each have our own bias. I myself get likes in the football thread as I have made good friends there, but it doesn't tell a newbie how good my advice on diabetes is.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Where did I say "all"? I don't think it's all Type 1s and certainly never meant to imply that.

I'd actually like to see this for all posts since it's easier than reading the fine print to see which forum the topic was posted in.[/QUOT

Indy, I posted my reply because of the word all.....................
Regards RRB

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
lol.

I would prefer there to be no tally at all, just a thanks button shown at the post itself The likes don't mean much anymore. One particular poster I'm thinking of doesn't post that often but every single post is of great value. Then there are others who are simply in a friendship group and get likes from their friends almost every time they post. I have noticed some of the moderators liking each others posts often too. We each have our own bias. I myself get likes in the football thread as I have made good friends there, but it doesn't tell a newbie how good my advice on diabetes is.

Yes, I was being a little facetious but was making a serious point about adding a dislike button in that it has a relation to "like". I agree that the number of likes isn't important and do not understand its original requirement with the way it is currently implemented. Many forums have a post scoring scheme in that members can vote up or down a post if that find it useful or not although this might turn out to be a little divisive a well controlled voting system can help pick a reader focus on the real information in a thread and not somebodies agenda. You can then decide to filter out (normally fold them so you can read if you need to go back for context) downgraded posts to clean a thread from your view. One thing that you have to be aware of in all of these voting systems is mop rule but if it is run well it can really be a helpful aid.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, I was being a little facetious but was making a serious point about adding a dislike button in that it has a relation to "like". I agree that the number of likes isn't important and do not understand its original requirement with the way it is currently implemented. Many forums have a post scoring scheme in that members can vote up or down a post if that find it useful or not although this might turn out to be a little divisive a well controlled voting system can help pick a reader focus on the real information in a thread and not somebodies agenda. You can then decide to filter out (normally fold them so you can read if you need to go back for context) downgraded posts to clean a thread from your view. One thing that you have to be aware of in all of these voting systems is mop rule but if it is run well it can really be a helpful aid.

I don't think the 'up or down' is a good idea here on this forum. There are too many friendship groups (OK, cliques) who would vote en masse against a particular person just because that person had made one 'bad' post in the past. This is why I would like to see the tally removed altogether. We need unity not the constant rivalry I have witnessed here in the past. I had a friend question me for 'liking' a post when it's pretty obvious I'm not that keen on the person who wrote it. If the post is good I'll like it, regardless of who wrote it. Others don't seem to do that though, so the 'like' tally system is meaningless. Just put a 'thanks' on the particular post. It says all we need to say.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
@Administrator

I notice that the moderators also have the Type under their user name, but this has replaced the word Moderator! How are folk supposed to know who the mods are, especially if they have to step in and moderate on a thread?

Reactions: 7 people