Your thoughts on the future of the forum

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have unanswered questions too as I did not have time to post in the aformentioned thread before it was closed.

I did ask @Administrator in another thread what was meant by the possibility of allowing back some banned members. I am not sure that this query was answered.
Now I am not sure if some members who made useful posts and were very knowlegeable and generous with their advice in the past have been banned for some hidden misdemeanour, or they have left for other reasons. If the former, I would be delighted to see these members back here, because, frankly it is my opinion that the forum is impoverished without them.
Perhaps an amnesty for these members would be in order? Maybe someone independent, other than whoever placed the ban could mediate and seek to reconcile, and ensure that nnobody is banned for the wrong reasons?

However, I would also be very concerned if some former members, who have been banned for being repeatedly offensive to members and have changed identity frequently in order to continue with this were allowed to return. Or, someone banned after misleading members. There were several of these a few months ago, and as I received PMs from some, it is probable that others did too.

I do think it unfortunate that several threads were started at the same time on similar topic, and that one was closed as mentioned by Kat100, as this has been a busy time for many and maybe others, like myself, have not had the opportunity to read all, and respond.
Also, would it be possible to have some clarification @Administrator to the issue you mentioned of banned members being allowed to register again.

I do not wish to PM anybody either admin or moderators regarding these particular concerns of mine, as I think they need to be considered by all members, and all should be allowed to respond.

Reactions: 2 people

Administrator

Staff Member
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I have unanswered questions too as I did not have time to post in the aformentioned thread before it was closed.

I did ask @Administrator in another thread what was meant by the possibility of allowing back some banned members. I am not sure that this query was answered.
Now I am not sure if some members who made useful posts and were very knowlegeable and generous with their advice in the past have been banned for some hidden misdemeanour, or they have left for other reasons. If the former, I would be delighted to see these members back here, because, frankly it is my opinion that the forum is impoverished without them.
Perhaps an amnesty for these members would be in order? Maybe someone independent, other than whoever placed the ban could mediate and seek to reconcile, and ensure that nnobody is banned for the wrong reasons?

However, I would also be very concerned if some former members, who have been banned for being repeatedly offensive to members and have changed identity frequently in order to continue with this were allowed to return. Or, someone banned after misleading members. There were several of these a few months ago, and as I received PMs from some, it is probable that others did too.

I do think it unfortunate that several threads were started at the same time on similar topic, and that one was closed as mentioned by Kat100, as this has been a busy time for many and maybe others, like myself, have not had the opportunity to read all, and respond.
Also, would it be possible to have some clarification @Administrator to the issue you mentioned of banned members being allowed to register again.

I do not wish to PM anybody either admin or moderators regarding these particular concerns of mine, as I think they need to be considered by all members, and all should be allowed to respond.

Sorry for the delay - we're just working on some draft articles to cover the banned member appeals so will share ASAP (with the mods and forum most likely later next week). There's a lot to catch up on with this thread and respond to so please bear with us! :)

jakejayeden

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
A subforum for 18-25. There are too many of the above using the children and teens and the discussions on there are far too uncomfortable for those the sub is intended for. I did make a pm about this but no such response for the highest of the ups.

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Pasta, sorry to me it's vile, yeuch lol (and full of nasty carbs)
@Administrator the only improvement(s) I can think of and it's minor is the order in which forums are listed.

Subjects which to me are more important and pertinent to diabetes management such as
• Diabetes drugs
• Diabetes complications

~ are listed below off topic stuff like general chat and humour.

I would like to see these topics given more importance and listed above minor topics.

Just my humble opinion on getting the message home better.

Edward

Reactions: 3 people

Mafat

I have been reading this forum since last three years & then decided to be a member.In my opinion I have seen there are lots of repeated questions being asked by new members & senior member do take their time to explain in details & most of the time such explanations are already somewhere in the forum. I would suggest that if administrators make it compulsory for new members to read certain materials & FAQs before they are enrolled in the membership.

Reactions: 6 people

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
I would suggest that if administrators make it compulsory for new members to read certain materials & FAQs before they are enrolled in the membership.

.... and how does one patrol that? Yes, it can be grating, but that is a step too far especially given it cannot be policed and the content far too wide for many with specific issues

K

Kat100

As I see questions from members on here appearing on FB .. From members here ..
I do wonder if all members new, and not so new mind ..

Just thinking ..

You see , FB only users who may not be members here, can comment on the questions from members ,.
They are not moderated answers , I don't think ..

Just a good practice question really , so everyone knows where their information might go ..

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Just thinking ..

You see , FB only users who may not be members here, can comment on the questions from members ,.

Just a good practice question really , so everyone knows where their information might go ..
Good point Kat. I think when we last raised this question the answer we got back was that it didn't matter that some of us didn't like the practice, DCUK were going to continue with it anyway?!

I do mind and I find it rather tacky that our forum posts can be used in such a way.

Reactions: 8 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people

Just thinking ..

Hi Kat, as Facebook is known to so many and a world wide social media site, it gets this site to another audience, so to speak, and therefore gets more and more members to view, pass it on or join up. I voiced my concern about it a while back ( same as you I think) and those of us who did not like our posts going on Facebook ( and it's not moderated either) just seem to have to put up with it, or possibly leave ? !!

Reactions: 10 people
M

mrspuddleduck

I completely agree @Kat100 , @zand and @Robinredbreast I find the fact that this site uses our posts on Facebook as not only distasteful but unethical (apologies dcuk if I missed the bit where I signed up for it when I became a forum member). And if you look at my history, whilst I contribute to threads I very rarely start one for that very reason. :(

Reactions: 11 people

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Pasta, sorry to me it's vile, yeuch lol (and full of nasty carbs)
I completely agree @Kat100 , @zand and @Robinredbreast I find the fact that this site uses our posts on Facebook as not only distasteful but unethical (apologies dcuk if I missed the bit where I signed up for it when I became a forum member). And if you look at my history, whilst I contribute to threads I very rarely start one for that very reason. :(
Mrs P, I don't use FB. I agree with your comments totally.

Reactions: 7 people
K

Kat100

Hi Kat, as Facebook is known to so many and a world wide social media site, it gets this site to another audience, so to speak, and therefore gets more and more members to view, pass it on or join up. I voiced my concern about it a while back ( same as you I think) and those of us who did not like our posts going on Facebook ( and it's not moderated either) just seem to have to put up with it, or possibly leave ? !!
Yes mentioned before ..

K

Kat100

Good point Kat. I think when we last raised this question the answer we got back was that it didn't matter that some of us didn't like the practice, DCUK were going to continue with it anyway?!

I do mind and I find it rather tacky that our forum posts can be used in such a way.
It's not nice to use posts in a tacky way .. You are right .. It was mentioned before .. Just thought it should be voiced agsin here ..

K

Kat100

Shame if it's a block for others .. It's valuable that we have raised it agsin in open chat thread .. For consideration ..

jakejayeden

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I definitely agree, I don't like the fact that threads on here are shared on to Facebook for all to see. It would be nice if you could at least opt in to have your threads shared or if they asked you if you were ok with sharing your post.