ADA urges clinicians not to use the word diabetic to describe people with diabetes, among...

DCUK NewsBot

The word "diabetic" should no longer be used to describe people with diabetes, according to the 2016 revisions for the Standards of Medical Care in Diabetes, a document published by the American Diabetes Association (ADA). The policy, which works "in alignment with the American Diabetes Association's (ADA's) position that diabetes does not define people," according to a summary of the revisions, is one of several noteworthy changes. These particular changes affect care only in the US, but they could influence future changes in the UK. The ADA's Standards of Medical Care in Diabetes "is intended to provide clinicians, patients, researchers, payers, and other interested individuals with the components of diabetes care, general treatment goals, and tools to evaluate the quality of care," says the introduction to the 2016 edition. Diagnostic testing In addition to condemning the use of "diabetic" as a noun, the 2016 revisions also emphasise the equal importance of different forms of diagnostic testing. "The order and discussion of diagnostic tests (fasting plasma glucose, 2-h plasma glucose after a 75g oral glucose tolerance test, and [HbA1c] criteria) were revised to make it clear that no one test is preferred over another for diagnosis." The ADA also advises that all adults should be tested for type 2 diabetes at the age of 45, regardless of body mass index (BMI). This is to "clarify the relationship between age, BMI, and risk for type 2 diabetes and prediabetes." Mental health and diabetes The document pays significant attention to the issue of mental health and diabetes. It identifies the greater risk of mental health disorders associated with diabetes: "Severe mental disorder that includes schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, and depression is increased 1.7-fold in people with diabetes. The prevalence of type 2 diabetes is two-three times higher in people with schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, and schizoaffective disorder than in the general population. "A meta-analysis showed a significantly increased risk of depression [...] and, in turn, depression was associated with a significantly increased risk of diabetes." To address these issues, the document urges clinicians not to neglect the psychological side of diabetes - even if they don't feel qualified to treat it. By building a relationship with their patient, and thereby nurturing an environment in which psychological problems can be discussed, clinicians "increase the likelihood of the patient accepting the referral for other services." Clinicians are also encouraged not to wait until specific problems occur before incorporating psychological assessment into their treatment. The document states: "It is preferable to incorporate psychological assessment and treatment into routine care rather than waiting for a specific problem or deterioration in metabolic or psychological status." Diet and diabetes On the subject of diet, the guidelines are unchanged; they remain inconclusive. "Studies examining the ideal amount of carbohydrate intake for people with diabetes are inconclusive, although monitoring carbohydrate intake and considering the blood glucose response to dietary carbohydrate are key for improving post-prandial glucose control. Although in some studies lowering the glycemic load of consumed carbohydrate has demonstrated [HbA1c] reduction of -0.2 per cent to -0.5 per cent, a systematic review found that whole-grain consumption was not associated with improvements in glycemic control in type 2 diabetes. "Limited research exists concerning the ideal amount of fat for individuals with diabetes [...] The type of fatty acids consumed is more important than total amount of fat when looking at metabolic goals and CVD risk. Multiple randomised controlled trials including patients with type 2 diabetes have reported that a Mediterranean-style eating pattern, rich in monounsaturated fats, can improve both glycemic control and blood lipids." The lack of clear conclusion regarding diet and blood glucose control suggests that dietary advice should be made according to the needs of individual patients. A summary of the revisions are published in the journal Diabetes Care. The full document is available here.

Continue reading...

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Lol. So henceforth we shall be PWD rather than Diabetics... Is there really a difference?

Reactions: 5 people

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I suppose, as with everything, it's how it's used @tim2000s

If it's used in that rather dismissive/insulting way that people talk about "gays" and "blacks" then I can see that they have a point. When I was first diagnosed, I read something similar and thought I didn't really care and it was a bit of a fuss about nothing. But having had a GP who insisted on talking about "diabetics" doing this and "diabetics" doing that, as I sat there glaring at him, I understand why it might annoy some people.

I guess it does no harm - as long as we can abbreviate to PWD as you did and not have to write it out in full each time! : D

Reactions: 2 people

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
The thing is that removing the word doesn't remove the derogatory use of it, and instead you will simply see PWD substituted!

Reactions: 4 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I find this bit interesting

'a systematic review found that whole-grain consumption was not associated with improvements in glycemic control in type 2 diabetes.'

Coming nearer to an admission that stuffing brown carbs isn't the solution to bg control for T2s, then. :D

Reactions: 14 people

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The thing is that removing the word doesn't remove the derogatory use of it, and instead you will simply see PWD substituted!

Possibly, yes (although it doesn't flow off the tongue so well : D )

Sadly, you can't stop prejudice. Discouraging the use of the word "gays", for example, hasn't stopped homophobia, but hopefully it's made more reasonable people stop and think a little about the terms they use.

I'm an optimist : D

Reactions: 9 people

Marvin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I agree, I am not defined by my diabetes....most of the time! But if I happen to be in a diabetes related crisis, then its much quicker and easier to say "I'm diabetic" than "I'm a person with diabetes". I really don't see what all the fuss is about and can't understand why some people are so touchy about the D label.

Reactions: 10 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Possibly, yes (although it doesn't flow off the tongue so well : D )

Sadly, you can't stop prejudice. Discouraging the use of the word "gays", for example, hasn't stopped homophobia, but hopefully it's made more reasonable people stop and think a little about the terms they use.

I'm an optimist : D

PWD, what is that, I can't see it, but then again, I am very tired, shattered right now........

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
PWD, what is that, I can't see it, but then again, I am very tired, shattered right now........
RR: You, since apparently we should all now be politically correct, are henceforth to be a Person With Diabetes, and no longer a diabetic. :wideyed::wideyed: It took me a bit of a search to find what it meant too....

I have to say that since how I'm described in no way changes the fact that I'm diabetic, I don't actually give a (insert suitable rude word here) about petty political correctness - I have more important things to worry about.

Robbity

Reactions: 5 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
RR: You, since apparently we should all now be politically correct, are henceforth to be a Person With Diabetes, and no longer a diabetic. :wideyed::wideyed: It took me a bit of a search to find what it meant too....

I have to say that since how I'm described in no way changes the fact that I'm diabetic, I don't actually give a (insert suitable rude word here) about petty political correctness - I have more important things to worry about.

Robbity

Thank you, Robbity, so I am now a Person With Type 1 Diabetes, but taking NovoRapoid and Levemir Insulin, so do not give me Insulin when I am hypoing or I will be a dead diabetic, ooops, I mean a dead Person With Diabetes and therefore 'not a dead diabetic' as it's not pc ;)
Person With Diabetes sounds worse to me................ what a crock :rolleyes: and I am a woman :D

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Wind the clock back 10 years and I hated the term 'diabetic', now I couldn't care less as it doesn't bother me either way :)

Reactions: 8 people
M

mrspuddleduck

PWD -
Person with diabetes
Person with disabilities
Person with diarrhoea
Person with dypepsia
Person with dyslexia
Person with dog
Person with doubtful intent........;)

Reactions: 12 people

Osterley

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I must be MLC. Probably because I'm gay, home, where or whatever else one wishes to use to describe me. I use all of these terms to describe myself and care not I'd others do too. If people spent as much time worrying about real issues as they do being PC, we'd all be a lot better off. These luvvies telling us what is offensive are just jobs worths who'd not survive ten minutes in a real job.

Reactions: 13 people

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Person With Diabetes sounds worse to me................ :D
Me too - it gives it a more formal, important standing! :eek:

Abbreviations continued:
PC = personal computer
PWD = password
PWD = me, @mrspuddleduck & @Robinredbreast, singularly: Poor Woman Diabetic, or as a group: Poor Women Diabetics
Sadly no such distinction for the men of the diabetic species though...

However perhaps all their fancy labelling is designed to cause us to miss the probably much more interesting and relevant statement regarding T2 diabetic diet that @Brunneria has quoted:
I find this bit interesting

'a systematic review found that whole-grain consumption was not associated with improvements in glycemic control in type 2 diabetes.'

Coming nearer to an admission that stuffing brown carbs isn't the solution to bg control for T2s, then. :D

Robbity

Edited by a moderator to remove ref to deleted post

Last edited by a moderator:

Mrs Vimes

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I don't care what I'm called but I insist on the word sparkly being used. Or unicorn. Or rainbow.

Reactions: 9 people

lindisfel

Expert
On one forum I was on I was called a Wiccan lesbian by a troll. I told my daughter and she thought it was funny her dad suffered such
sillyness! :) :)
PFH is far worse than diabetic.
D.

Reactions: 7 people

Pamzy2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People with bad manners
Well really! i might have a funny sense of humour, but this made me laugh! Have these people nothing better to do than to think up new names for things .... they need to get a proper job I think. It's just a bunch of people that want to "box" everything for the sake of it, and change the names to make it sound like it's something new they've discovered. Balderdash.

Reactions: 2 people
A

Avocado Sevenfold

PWD is also an online abbreviation for "posting while drunk". This could lead to forum confusion ;)

Reactions: 10 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
PWD is also an online abbreviation for "posting while drunk". This could lead to forum confusion ;)

I don't even drink :wideyed:( well, I did have a snowball drink at Christmas, but I don't think that actually counts lol) not a :hungover: