Newly diagnosed with Graves Disease and RH

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Thank you, I have been trying to cut out all of the above but need to be stricter with the bread I think.... I tried Rye bread but I am guessing that is a no no too. If you could recommend some good books that would be brilliant ... thanks again for taking the time out of your evening to help me.

Hi, again, I've been told to have half a slice with my evening meal.
I haven't yet but I will try, just to see what happens.

The next few weeks will be all about trial and error, with experimenting with individual food and combinations to see what you can or cannot tolerate.
But I would imagine that most grains, spuds, rice, high ,medium and some low GI foods will be a no, no!

You will get use to a new lifestyle because, I assure you, once in control, you feel really good and you won't want to be not in control.

There is lots of links in the low carb forum, but I have put a list of foods that most RH ers really have problems with in the sticky thread in our forum. The basics.

Hope that helps.

Reactions: 2 people

Andysgirl

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, @Andysgirl.

Sorry I was not here to welcome you,
I need not add anything further than the above suggestions are fine..
With the extra medical problems, you will have to be careful how you approach this.
Being in control of your blood glucose levels is vital having RH.
Do have a read of our forum, as Brun says, the information is very good.

Welcome to our forum!
Hello and thank you for the information. I will have a look around the forum tonight but definately going to go low carb - thanks for everyones friendliness and helpfulness it has meant a lot.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hello and thank you for the information. I will have a look around the forum tonight but definately going to go low carb - thanks for everyones friendliness and helpfulness it has meant a lot.

It has already been said, that if you're not sure to ask questions. Knowledge is important and if we can help, we will do.
The reason is, we have all been where you are now!
Confused and not quite well. With all the problems and symptoms, you need someone to ask the silly questions.

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Linagirl

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Hi andysgirl. I haven't been around much lately but I am hypothyroid and with RH. I also have low vit d which I am addressing. I recommend that you also ask your doc to do a full blood mineral and vitamin profile if you can to check for any deficiencies. Specifically vit d b12 folate and ferritin as all can affect. I am a member of thyroid patient advocacy which is a fab website and will help you whether you are hyper or hypo. I also suggest you seriously consider losing gluten from your diet as it is a major autoimmune trigger. Also dairy might be an issue. Hope this helps gives you some pointers.

I am new to RH and still learning too. Xxx

Reactions: 8 people

Andysgirl

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi andysgirl. I haven't been around much lately but I am hypothyroid and with RH. I also have low vit d which I am addressing. I recommend that you also ask your doc to do a full blood mineral and vitamin profile if you can to check for any deficiencies. Specifically vit d b12 folate and ferritin as all can affect. I am a member of thyroid patient advocacy which is a fab website and will help you whether you are hyper or hypo. I also suggest you seriously consider losing gluten from your diet as it is a major autoimmune trigger. Also dairy might be an issue. Hope this helps gives you some pointers.

I am new to RH and still learning too. Xxx
Thank you, I have already started low carb, low GI from the advice on here and feel better already, but yes will certainly look at the Gluten Free and dairy too - thanks for recommending the additional tests too - I will ask for them to be done

Reactions: 4 people

Andysgirl

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
It has already been said, that if you're not sure to ask questions. Knowledge is important and if we can help, we will do.
The reason is, we have all been where you are now!
Confused and not quite well. With all the problems and symptoms, you need someone to ask the silly questions.
Maybe a silly question .... I am now getting much better versed after some research re low carb/low GI foods ... however I dont know what to drink. I am OK day to day with mainly water or soda water but what do you all drink for an occassional safe treat? I am at a party on Sat and although I am not particularly bothered about alcohol (although a glass of red would be good); I dont fancy sitting drinking water all night! Any suggestions very welcome - thanks

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
T
Maybe a silly question .... I am now getting much better versed after some research re low carb/low GI foods ... however I dont know what to drink. I am OK day to day with mainly water or soda water but what do you all drink for an occassional safe treat? I am at a party on Sat and although I am not particularly bothered about alcohol (although a glass of red would be good); I dont fancy sitting drinking water all night! Any suggestions very welcome - thanks
The odd glass of red is supposed to be ok!
But as someone who is teetotal, I'm not the best to answer. I have the odd Pepsi max but mainly drink black tea. And of course plenty of water.
I think I may have already mentioned, you may be susceptible to some low GI stuff, carbs are carbs to me, wether they are high, medium or low.
It's all about how you can tolerate certain food groups.

Kaz261

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
I struggle a little with this too. At home I tend to stick with water, black coffee, fruit/herbal teas or coffee with cream. When I'm out I'll have the odd Diet Coke but always worry in case they get them mixed up and I end up with full fat Coke!

Alcohol is a tricky one. I too enjoy the occasional small glass of red but I've noticed lately that I feel strange after drinking it. I only ever have it with a meal but I think it spikes my bg a little faster and drops me faster. The only way for you to know how it will affect you is to try it and test.

Andysgirl

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
This is one of the best sites on low carb
http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf
Thanks, I will have a look at that one. Im not having a good day today feeling like I am going hypo and not being able to get my head around the diet. I read something is OK and low carb on one site and then not on another, it is driving me crazy. Is there just one really good place I should be looking for eating ideas please?

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks, I will have a look at that one. Im not having a good day today feeling like I am going hypo and not being able to get my head around the diet. I read something is OK and low carb on one site and then not on another, it is driving me crazy. Is there just one really good place I should be looking for eating ideas please?
The Diet Doc site.

Andysgirl

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
The Diet Doc site.
Thanks Totto I just got round to watching the video and think I have found my basic error .... I have been eating fruit ... plums, oranges .... emptying my new fruit bow into a bin as we speak!

Reactions: 3 people

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Thanks Totto I just got round to watching the video and think I have found my basic error .... I have been eating fruit ... plums, oranges .... emptying my new fruit bow into a bin as we speak!

I'm certain that in the thread about the basics and headlined 'foods to avoid' it does mention fruit and fructose.
I can tolerate small amounts of fruit, but there are those whose tolerance is nil.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes

If any foods have above 5gms of carbs per 100gms serving on the label, then it is probably too high for us. I have found that we are all completely different and portion size comes into it!
This is where testing comes in!

For example, baked beans! I love 'em! But I can't even tolerate a small tin, so I have to strain the juice off and micro wave them. Let them cool divide into three portions of about twelve beans, and reheat them! A lot of messing about but you have to do this sort of experimental tests to see what you can eat and what you can't.

I got all my food advice from@Brunneria and the low carb forum.
Most other internet sites still insist we have to eat carbs.
Why?
We make ourselves ill doing that!
Shouldn't we avoid what is harming us?

There is a low carb forum mantra and that is; Eat to your meter!!!
It's so true!
Very low carb works for us!
It is the only thing that does.
We have a condition that has not got a cure, but it is controllable by diet/lifestyle.
And, believe me, we feel a lot better doing low carb, than not.
My health has never been so good, for a very long time! (Decades!)

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Fat is the solution. Fill up on fat.

Reactions: 6 people

Andysgirl

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks Totto and nosher ...Feeling much more positive tonight looking forward to my cheese and mushroom omelette without fear!

Reactions: 4 people

Andysgirl

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
I struggle a little with this too. At home I tend to stick with water, black coffee, fruit/herbal teas or coffee with cream. When I'm out I'll have the odd Diet Coke but always worry in case they get them mixed up and I end up with full fat Coke!

Alcohol is a tricky one. I too enjoy the occasional small glass of red but I've noticed lately that I feel strange after drinking it. I only ever have it with a meal but I think it spikes my bg a little faster and drops me faster. The only way for you to know how it will affect you is to try it and test.
Thanks Kaz