Forum questions: additional forums?

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I would go as far as to suggest that narrowing down the subforums to be more descriptively precise would lead to the very restrictions that you were concerned about earlier - we would all end up only accessing our own little boxes, succeeding in the 'type' segregation and never sharing across our experiences.
EXACTLY

If your computer only had one folder to house all of your files it would be a nightmare trying to find something.

However, as you create more an more folders, there eventually becomes a point when everything has its own folder and the exact same issue occurs.

M

mrspuddleduck

EXACTLY

If your computer only had one folder to house all of your files it would be a nightmare trying to find something.

However, as you create more an more folders, there eventually becomes a point when everything has its own folder and the exact same issue occurs.
But all the folders on my computer have content which have specific meaning or use, so therefore warrent their own space! I'm not going to stick my bank letters in with the ones to my auntie!!

Reactions: 4 people
M

mrspuddleduck

The goalpost concept just didn't exist. There's a lot that is being inferred from somewhere and we're not sure where. Yes, suggestions are welcome. And change is taking place... and we need to see whether it is working or not. If things aren't working, it makes sense to move/edit/think again. No-one said things weren't working - however, there were some interesting/valid points that everyone will have thoughts on - it doesn't mean we need to agree with them - it means we should discuss them! I think perhaps it was taken as that the Type 3c forum was under threat. It's not, the original response was that it's really interesting... and warrants us all to talk. :)

Whilst I admit to feeling offended by some of the comments eg the comment about catering to people just because they 'felt left out', I don't believe I have 'inferred' anything, I have just responded to to the posts from you and torq.
Actually I do think the 3C subforums is under threat, as the other minority groups are also, but that is only my interpretation of admins response to Torqs comments

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
But all the folders on my computer have content which have specific meaning or use, so therefore warrent their own space! I'm not going to stick my bank letters in with the ones to my auntie!!
That's fair. Perhaps it's nothing more than a matter of preference, and my preferences seem to be a bit different compared to many of you? :)

On a general note to a few others who responded to my posts:

What concerns me is how quick many people were to take offense to my suggestions, and someone even suggested I didn't deserve to have an opinion based on my lack of time and post count on this forum. I put a lot of time and thought into my posts and I intend for them to be meaningful. Admittedly, when something doesn't make sense to me, I will openly question it. I'm not sitting at the keyboard trying to upset people, and I'm the first to admit that my opinion isn't always right.

The last I checked, this was a discussion about how to improve the forum. I shared my thoughts in an attempt to help and it was never my intention to offend or upset anyone. I am perfectly okay with people disagreeing with me even if it means the majority of my suggestions get shot down. I'd rather make one good suggestion and ten bad ones than to not contribute at all.

I'll leave the thread on that note.

M

mrspuddleduck

That's fair. Perhaps it's nothing more than a matter of preference, and my preferences seem to be a bit different compared to many of you? :)

On a general note to a few others who responded to my posts:

What concerns me is how quick many people were to take offense to my suggestions, and someone even suggested I didn't deserve to have an opinion based on my lack of time and post count on this forum. I put a lot of time and thought into my posts and I intend for them to be meaningful. Admittedly, when something doesn't make sense to me, I will openly question it. I'm not sitting at the keyboard trying to upset people, and I'm the first to admit that my opinion isn't always right.

The last I checked, this was a discussion about how to improve the forum. I shared my thoughts in an attempt to help and it was never my intention to offend or upset anyone. I am perfectly okay with people disagreeing with me even if it means the majority of my suggestions get shot down. I'd rather make one good suggestion and ten bad ones than to not contribute at all.

I'll leave the thread on that note.
@TorqPenderloin I completely respect your opinion and as far as I'm aware have never made any negative comments about you or your membership if this forum. BUT I am going to say it torq - there are times when the way you say things have offended me personally and not just on this thread. FOR ME that is why people respond to you in a personalised way. So rather than leave this thread now you have started the debate why don't you apply the advise you directly gave to me on another thread, and (quote) "get a grip"?

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just another suggestion. I have always thought DCUK could have a "Ask the expert" forum where guest experts in various fields of diabetes management (Diabetologists, DSNs, Dieticians etc) could be invited on to discuss/give advice on various topics in their respective fields. I know it would not be a continuous thread but it could be advertised when a guest is upcoming. I think it would be popular especially with newly diagnosed. Just a penny for my thoughts.
Oooooh,....... I can imagine experts on certain topics getting a bit of a hard time, depending on the reader. For example, a dietician for T1s, thinking DAFNE versus low carbers. It's not a bad idea, but expertise for diabetes is such a wide ranging thing and fraught with danger.

In my view, that one, in particular would need extremely careful positioning and a tin hat for the posters and Mods on duty that night.

For diabetes, unfortunately, sometimes one man's expert is another's eejit.

Reactions: 5 people

dannyw

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Oooooh,....... I can imagine experts on certain topics getting a bit of a hard time, depending on the reader. For example, a dietician for T1s, thinking DAFNE versus low carbers. It's not a bad idea, but expertise for diabetes is such a wide ranging thing and fraught with danger.

In my view, that one, in particular would need extremely careful positioning and a tin hat for the posters and Mods on duty that night.

This one didn't go down too well if I remember rightly :)

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/thr...orum-teams-up-with-tvs-dr-hilary-jones.57846/

Reactions: 7 people

Administrator

Staff Member
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Whilst I admit to feeling offended by some of the comments eg the comment about catering to people just because they 'felt left out', I don't believe I have 'inferred' anything, I have just responded to to the posts from you and torq.
Actually I do think the 3C subforums is under threat, as the other minority groups are also, but that is only my interpretation of admins response to Torqs comments

Apologies for any offence. If anything, the initial discussion mentioned moving it, not removing it.

Reactions: 3 people

chri5

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

By God though, wouldn`t it be fun!:).

Reactions: 2 people

Hiitsme

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was really pleased to see Type 3c forum as I had never heard of it. I am learning and have read some of the posts and hopefully have a bit more understanding.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I think I've helped create a monster!:);):rolleyes:

Knowledge of how diabetics can get help for their conditions must be paramount and the extent of their experiences, should be a help not a hindrance.

One of the reasons why we wanted our own sub forum was so when somebody googled RH, the forum would be shown below two others in the list.
It made it easier for them to find us and more importantly the knowledge that we have put there!

I didn't know about type 3c or others, and I've lost count of the posts that say they have never heard of RH. This is about learning and gathering important relevant information. This site is unique because it goes against successfully the medical industry. And is leading the revolution towards enlightenment about how to treat blood glucose disorders. The more sub forums the better. The more information and debate the better!

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree with all @nosher8355 has said.

I would like to see a section for all the newly recognised subtypes of T2. I can't even remember how far they go up to 3g or 3h? It would help us all to know the differences and learn together. I know there are some on this forum who have steroid induced T2 for instance. It would be good for them to have their own section to refer to. 'One size doesn't fit all' and I think more subsections would help not hinder the majority of us.

Reactions: 6 people
K

Kat100

The more the better , involvement for all ..
Information is great ..
Always good to learn more about all sorts of things ...

Love variety and the spice of life .. :)

M

mrspuddleduck

Currently there is a thread in the type 3C forum which so far has had contributions from members who are type 1, 1.5, 2, and 3C - so much for the argument that minority forums are self limiting and hinder cross type discussion.
I realise I am beginning to sound like 'woman on a mission' but until this "review" of the minority subforums takes place on 1st February (post #36) I am determined to keep this discussion active!! It is too important just to quietly disappear!!

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think it could be useful to enquire of people how they navigated the forum when the first arrived on the site (not necessarily finding the site); was it be using the forum search, or looked for a title of their brand of diabetes. A further poll, or enquiry could be useful to find out (unless @Administrator knows this already)how regular users land on the site, and navigate around - whether by using Watched Threads, New Posts, Recent Posts, or by focusing on their brand, for example Type 2.

If we knew that it might help inform how we might get the best from the options available. Personally, I almost always use the Recent Posts option, unless I am searching for something in particular, so the sub areas are less important to me, and therefore reflected in my comments on this thread about too many sub types.

I do still firmly believe that without some form of grouping we'll end up with sub fora that match a handful of people for each sub-type, with lots of folks apparently un-catered for. Looks like I'm going to have to put more thought into the naming of my personal sub-type. I think I'll make it very complicated and important sounding. :D

@Administrator - I can start a poll, but it might be better coming from the "inside", and maybe with a sticky on it for a week, say to try to get as many responses as we can?

Just my thoughts of course. :pompous:

Hiitsme

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I still find it very difficult to navigate my way round the forum and as @AndBreathe I mostly use the recent posts as well as my watched threads. I've learnt a lot even from the discussion on this thread,