Banishing peaks and troughs

lindisfel

Expert
We know now that LCHF works even if we have carb creep at times and take a long time to realize potatoes and wheat based flour are our enemies.

I like Yorkshire Pudding but the flour in it raises my b.g.
Tonight my DW make a chicken casserole and we had broccoli, cauli and brussels with it . I also had grated carrot. The better half also produced Yorkshire Pudding made with soya flour.
I was 5.3 before the meal and 6.5 at 1 hour afterwards.
I shall be happy to have Soya Yorkshire Pudding in future.
All the othe ingredients were as normal, it turned out fine.
regards
D.

Reactions: 9 people

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Good for you, Derek!

Everything in the cause of science!

The things we have to do for us RH ers benefit!

Merry Christmas, mate!

Enjoy!

Reactions: 3 people

lindisfel

Expert
Hi all,
With my health problems I am conscious of the need for plenty of potassium in my diet.
Some legumes contain a lot of potassium but it seems the amount of legumes have to be restricted to avoid b.g. spikes. Do any of you have a problem with legumes?
Plain red lentils seem OK, chick peas are problematical.
D.

lindisfel

Expert
Hi,
At lunch today I had a hard boiled egg, half a Lidl h.p. roll with plenty of butter plus a quarter of a tin of lidl white beans with lashings of olive oil, also lettuce.
It spiked me to 8.5 after 60 mins post first bite.
At 90 mins post first bite I was down to 6.0

Active all morning and afternoon with no hypos. It appears I have to peak above 10 to produce enough insulin to hypo.

What concerns me is the very high insulin levels I evidently produce after 60 mins post first bite.
This is atypical for R.H., most you guys hypo later. When I exercised before low carbing my hypos occurred at c.2 hours but I was eating more carbs then.
This excessive insulin I believe is stopping my GGT dropping back to normal.

I think I will have go even lower carb.
regards
Derek

Reactions: 2 people

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi,
At lunch today I had a hard boiled egg, half a Lidl h.p. roll with plenty of butter plus a quarter of a tin of lidl white beans with lashings of olive oil, also lettuce.
It spiked me to 8.5 after 60 mins post first bite.
At 90 mins post first bite I was down to 6.0

Active all morning and afternoon with no hypos. It appears I have to peak above 10 to produce enough insulin to hypo.

What concerns me is the very high insulin levels I evidently produce after 60 mins post first bite.
This is atypical for R.H., most you guys hypo later. When I exercised before low carbing my hypos occurred at c.2 hours but I was eating more carbs then.
This excessive insulin I believe is stopping my GGT dropping back to normal.

I think I will have go even lower carb.
regards
Derek

Even though I don't have hypos lately it is because I don't hyper and I think you do need to lower again until you don't get too high too quickly.
When you get into the zone of normal levels your insulin production should decline. Mine has significantly. I know I'm still producing some because you have to otherwise the glucose levels in your blood would last longer and would build up. It's a balancing act, to see where you need to be.
Just keep lowering slowly, and monitor your levels.
I'm sure you will get it right.

lindisfel

Expert
Thanks Nosher. I was thinking of pushing a few weights just after meals because I think that may also limit insulin release ?
atb
Derek

Even though I don't have hypos lately it is because I don't hyper and I think you do need to lower again until you don't get too high too quickly.
When you get into the zone of normal levels your insulin production should decline. Mine has significantly. I know I'm still producing some because you have to otherwise the glucose levels in your blood would last longer and would build up. It's a balancing act, to see where you need to be.
Just keep lowering slowly, and monitor your levels.
I'm sure you will get it right.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Thanks Nosher. I was thinking of pushing a few weights just after meals because I think that may also limit insulin release ?
atb
Derek

Not a bad idea! (Not my idea of fun, rather walk!)
Just don't overdo it as that will do you no favours with your blood levels.
Tell me if your bloods go up or down, and if you hypo quicker because you deplete your glucose quickly.
It will help with others who are runners or cyclists etc.

lindisfel

Expert
Hi Nosher
I do not hypo at all on exercising since I cut carbs.
Lidl rolls peak me just over 8.0 in 60mins after first bite.
I am c.6.5 at 90mins and stabilising at c.5.8 at c.130 mins.
I stay around 5s for next few hours till I eat again. Sometimes I can go up to about 6.0 when I dump.
atb
Derek

Last edited by a moderator:

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi Nosher
I do not hypo at all on exercising since I cut carbs.
Lidl rolls peak me just over 8.0 in 60mins after first bite.
I am c.6.5 at 90mins and stabilising at c.5.8 at c.130 mins.
I stay around 5s for next few hours till I eat again. Sometimes I can go up to about 6.0 when I dump.
atb
Derek

No carbs, no hypos!
Well done,
Soon you will be flatlining like I do!
atvb
Nosher.

Reactions: 4 people

lindisfel

Expert
Hi Guys,
After using up to 50 strips in 15 days I think I can now control my post prandial readings better by modifying what I eat.
Was 6.6 when I peaked after lunch and 6.1 this evening.
This evening I had c.8oz of best rump steak fried, red onions , cauli and broccoli, plenty of olive oil on veg. A large Yorkshire pudding made from soya flour. I didn't eat much all day but now I feel really full.
I shall have plain normal fat yoghurt , walnuts and a few rasps and blueberries before bedtime. There is no need to starve on low carb.
D.

Reactions: 6 people

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi Guys,
After using up 50 strips in 15 days I think I can control my post prandial readings better by modifying what I eat.
Was 6.6 when I peaked at lunch and 6.1 this evening.
I had c.8oz of best rump steak fried, red onions , cauli and broccoli, plenty of olive oil on veg. A large Yorkshire pudding made from soya flour. I did eat much all day but feel really full.
I shall have plain normal fat yoghurt , walnuts and a few rasps and blueberries before bedtime. The is no need to starve on low carb.
Derek

Yes, you are so right, Derek.
Because of the constant snacking, I have to do, (small meals) I don't think I've felt hungry for quite a long while, most often, I struggle to eat more than a few bites per meal.
Usually, the feeling I get is the sensitivity of my blood glucose levels dropping a little lower than normal, that is like a signal to have something, it is definitely not craving or hunger.
Also, because of my now reduced stomach size, I can't eat much!

Oh yeah, having similar for supper!

lindisfel

Expert
Hi,
Tried an whole lidl roll again this lunch time, it was wrong of me, but....
I was 8.6 after 60 mins, 6.8 after 90 mins and 5.2 after 120 mins ....all times post first bite. I also had green veg soup (no carbs home made) roll was with butter and lettuce.
Will have to try making my own flax seed bread.
This lidl bread is obviously not low enough carb for me when I want to minimize insulin release.

regards
Derek

Last edited by a moderator:

lindisfel

Expert
Hi,
Tried an whole lidl roll again this lunch time, it was wrong of me, but....
I was 8.6 after 60 mins, 6.8 after 90 mins and 5.2 after 90 mins ....all times post first bite. I also had green veg soup (no carbs home made) roll was with butter and lettuce.
Will have to try making my own flax seed bread.
This lidl bread is obviously not low enough carb for me when I want to minimize insulin release.

regards
Derek
After 180 mins I was 5.5.
D.