Carpal Tunnel Syndrome...???

• Thread starter Deleted member 83869
  • Start Date
D

Deleted member 83869

Hello, I went to my GP today who said I most probably have carpal tunnel syndrome...yay!

I haven't really thought much about my arm/wrist/hand pain before until last night when I was on the pc and was leaning on my elbow for about 10 minutes and after leaning on it my fingers were really tingling and my pinky finger and the finger next to it were very numb for about 3 hours....and I had pain in my wrist.....like an achy pain in my wrist and arm all night and every now and again shooting pain in my hand on the side...so I didn't really get much sleep.... the numbness has gone today but the achy pain hasn't. Anyone else have carpal tunnel syndrome??

S

Shar67

Don't have it but when I fall to sleep I clench my hands into tight fists, so when I wake up hands and wrists are sore, so I wear splints used for carpal tunnel syndrome to keep hands flat, GP thinks it's my meds that cause me to do this

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
yeah I have it and having an operation onFriday to relieve the preasure of the carpel tunnel on my median nerve. I have had it for around 20 years or so and I have started loosing muscle because of it, but as far as I'm aware it is not common to have muscle wasting away through it (though I maybe wrong).

Best off getting is sorted out sooner rather than later

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Never had it but I read that it's common in pregnancy (for all women)

I did have an inflamed tendon in my wrist once though and found I really had to think about resting it. Rest did help a lot. Did the doctor suggest a splint or anything?

D

Deleted member 83869

Never had it but I read that it's common in pregnancy (for all women)

I did have an inflamed tendon in my wrist once though and found I really had to think about resting it. Rest did help a lot. Did the doctor suggest a splint or anything?
Nope despite me saying that it has happened more than once...she just said as this is your first time to see how it goes.....sigh I am not sleeping at night!!!

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've already googled haha but thank you! But I am not due to see my Midwife again until February! :(

Maybe go back to your doctor then and say it's keeping you awake?

Mind you, pregnancy is a time of disturbed sleep anyway - in practice for the arrival of baby! Would something like resting it on a pillow by your side help? I had a fab pregnancy pillow that helped my hips and back, so sometimes a little extra comfort or a change of position can relieve the pain if not totally cure it.

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
maybe ask your GP for the wrist splints, they were the only thing that helped me and I bought a nice set from Amazon around 3 years ago.

D

Deleted member 83869

Maybe go back to your doctor then and say it's keeping you awake?

Mind you, pregnancy is a time of disturbed sleep anyway - in practice for the arrival of baby! Would something like resting it on a pillow by your side help? I had a fab pregnancy pillow that helped my hips and back, so sometimes a little extra comfort or a change of position can relieve the pain if not totally cure it.
Next available appointment isn't until the end of next week....I guess it's something, i am trying to see if i can see my Midwife on Friday, as I have to pick up a prescription Friday! If not then I will just have to wait until next week to see my GP. Would a pillow help though???

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I don't know if a pillow would help, but I was thinking you could maybe rest your arm on it and it might help relieve some of the pain. If certain positions make the pain worse, then having a pillow 'in the right place' might help a little because you could train yourself to try to keep your arm there rather than above your head/under your side/whichever position makes it hurt more.

I know you can buy wrist splints in high street chemists but I'm not sure whether that would be a good idea, so I thought maybe the pillow would be a gentle alternative until you get seen.

Reactions: 2 people
D

Deleted member 83869

I don't know if a pillow would help, but I was thinking you could maybe rest your arm on it and it might help relieve some of the pain. If certain positions make the pain worse, then having a pillow 'in the right place' might help a little because you could train yourself to try to keep your arm there rather than above your head/under your side/whichever position makes it hurt more.

I know you can buy wrist splints in high street chemists but I'm not sure whether that would be a good idea, so I thought maybe the pillow would be a gentle alternative until you get seen.
I will try a pillow tonight....no harm in trying I guess! Thank you

Reactions: 3 people

lessci

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had mine surgercally decompressed 20+ years ago (caused by a sports injury) pre the surgery, wrist braces helped (the ones with a metal plate in) and keeping the affected wrist raised above heart level also can help as it reduces the swelling. Anti- inflammitories can help (asprin, ibuprofen) releive the pain. before my surgery my hand used to go so dead I'd bash it against the wall to recover some feeling (not a good idea I know, but it was so frustrating). my surgeon gave me a fab scar, and extended my "lifeline" off the edge of my hand!

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Can you self refer for physio? A physio will sort out splints for you to wear at night.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I had mine surgercally decompressed 20+ years ago (caused by a sports injury) pre the surgery, wrist braces helped (the ones with a metal plate in) and keeping the affected wrist raised above heart level also can help as it reduces the swelling. Anti- inflammitories can help (asprin, ibuprofen) releive the pain. before my surgery my hand used to go so dead I'd bash it against the wall to recover some feeling (not a good idea I know, but it was so frustrating). my surgeon gave me a fab scar, and extended my "lifeline" off the edge of my hand!

That sounds unpleasant! The need to wall-bash I mean : D

I know you didn't intend for the OP to take any drugs, but just a reminder to any pregnant readers that things like ibuprofen are not recommended in pregnancy:

http://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/2398.aspx?CategoryID=54

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hello, I went to my GP today who said I most probably have carpal tunnel syndrome...yay!

I haven't really thought much about my arm/wrist/hand pain before until last night when I was on the pc and was leaning on my elbow for about 10 minutes and after leaning on it my fingers were really tingling and my pinky finger and the finger next to it were very numb for about 3 hours....and I had pain in my wrist.....like an achy pain in my wrist and arm all night and every now and again shooting pain in my hand on the side...so I didn't really get much sleep.... the numbness has gone today but the achy pain hasn't. Anyone else have carpal tunnel syndrome??

Yes I had mine done a few years back and probably one of those things in your life that will definitely improve your day to day life no end, mine was really successful, I'm now typing this with the hand that got operated on. And I don't have any pain at all.
I highly recommend the surgery wether local or full anaesthetic. I had local so I could watch what was happening.
Just to get rid of the pains, aches and tingling, needles and pins and you do get better sleep.

I urge you to have the op!

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@nosher8355 The OP is pregnant. Most cases of carpal tunnel syndrome that develop in pregnancy resolve a few months after birth without treatment. Odds are Nicola won't need an op :)

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
@nosher8355 The OP is pregnant. Most cases of carpal tunnel syndrome that develop in pregnancy resolve a few months after birth without treatment. Odds are Nicola won't need an op :)

Ok, sorry!

But if it persists, get it done! Obviously after giving birth!!!!!!!

Reactions: 3 people
D

Deleted member 83869

That sounds unpleasant! The need to wall-bash I mean : D

I know you didn't intend for the OP to take any drugs, but just a reminder to any pregnant readers that things like ibuprofen are not recommended in pregnancy:

http://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/2398.aspx?CategoryID=54
Was just about to point out that I cannot take ibuprofen lol! I refrain from taking any pain relief in pregnancy unless it's REALLY necessary xx

D

Deleted member 83869

@nosher8355 I could do without another op lol! Only had one this year for a compressed nerve in my leg....aka sciatica and a bulging disc and now it seems that I have another nerve problem......really getting on my nerves ha....that wasn't funny! At the moment I really wouldn't say the pain is bad enough to have an op! I just don't want it getting worse like my back did! My GP dismissed that I was in pain and just said it was muscle pain...took them a year and a half to diagnose a bulging disc!! x