Medtronic MiniMed 640G System

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
I actually found it on Amazon , but it come from America. Cost goes from 170$ to 250$ ... main problem is they do not ship to UK.
Perhaps post a link so we can all see it?

mauro73

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I actually found it on Amazon, the only problem is that is from USA and they do not ship to UK.
Price vary from 170$ to 250$ which is far better then Medtronic website

richyb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Cold weather
I am about to start pumping after 52 years of injections and I have decided to go for 640g,I have done much research into pumps and on the advice of DSN it meets all my needs,but it's a personal choice.
hi
I have also been injecting for just over 50 years (type 1) and after that long time of jabs have had enough of them as have now got a lot of lumps and sore areas. would like a pump...

candi-girl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm at George Eliot in Nuneaton so may be different for me

Do you have an actual pump currently? I know someone there who is on an accu chek pump and someone who also had a medtronic. So assuming they do Medtronic pumps there it just seems to be pot luck if they also give you the CGM start up kit.

If Warwick isn't too far you could always swap hospitals if they aren't letting you have a pump etc... Warwick offer medtronic and accu chek pumps currently.

Hirstygirl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Do you have an actual pump currently? I know someone there who is on an accu chek pump and someone who also had a medtronic. So assuming they do Medtronic pumps there it just seems to be pot luck if they also give you the CGM start up kit.

If Warwick isn't too far you could always swap hospitals if they aren't letting you have a pump etc... Warwick offer medtronic and accu chek pumps currently.
No I'm not on a pump at present, am waiting for an appointment with pump clinic, but have no date yet just that it will be during the first half of this year! Am seeing DSN Monday so will push again lol

Warwick isn't that far from me, also had rugby mentioned by a rep from Medtronic problem is I can't drive at the moment due to hypos dvla have suspended licence for a year, so would have to rely on other half or dad to take me. What was the waiting time for you if you don't mind me asking?

candi-girl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
No I'm not on a pump at present, am waiting for an appointment with pump clinic, but have no date yet just that it will be during the first half of this year! Am seeing DSN Monday so will push again lol

Warwick isn't that far from me, also had rugby mentioned by a rep from Medtronic problem is I can't drive at the moment due to hypos dvla have suspended licence for a year, so would have to rely on other half or dad to take me. What was the waiting time for you if you don't mind me asking?

I don't drive either so have to rely on lifts and the train, I live in Coventry.
I have been to the Rugby Hospital but they only did accu chek pumps last time I was there about 2013 and i didn't get on well with them there so I soon left, plus it was a pain to get to.

Might be a bit different now but I got a letter in 2004 from consultant saying would I like to go on the pump waiting list because think I'd benefit etc.. and it was about 9 months later I got to the top of the list. They were putting 3 patients on one a month. Again no idea if it's still like that. It was then a few months more til the training day/pump day came about.

Reactions: 2 people

Spicey245

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Working full time, fairground rides or anything which makes too much adrenaline!
Well, I've been on my Medtronic 640G for almost 4 months now and am absolutely made up with it! Absolutely love the pump. Am still tweaking my levels but am getting there. My HBA1C was 7.1 last week so just about same as when I was on pens. I'm sure with a bit more tweaking that will come down nicely. :)

Reactions: 4 people

Hirstygirl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well, I've been on my Medtronic 640G for almost 4 months now and am absolutely made up with it! Absolutely love the pump. Am still tweaking my levels but am getting there. My HBA1C was 7.1 last week so just about same as when I was on pens. I'm sure with a bit more tweaking that will come down nicely. :)
That's good to know! Don't think I'm going to get a pump before the summer though

Spicey245

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Working full time, fairground rides or anything which makes too much adrenaline!
That's good to know! Don't think I'm going to get a pump before the summer though
It took nearly a year for me to finally be put onto the pump, it does take a bit of time but it's worth it in the end!

Nurse is happy with my basal rates, just trying to sort out my insulin to carb ratios a bit better now! ;-)

MISTY10

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi guys

I've been type 1 since age 11, now 44.

Last month I went onto the Medtronic 640G.

I LOVE IT !

I can't afford the cgm but decided I liked he menus and navigation and the reports are awesome too.

I'm still finding my levels, lots of testing and fasting days.

I run and spin, and need advice on stupid highs with running, so I'm off in search of eercise advice.

I like the remote bollus from the meter it's great, but for me as I'm relying a lot on the wizard I'm tending not to use it.

You have the bm on the pump from Bluetooth, you tell the pump how many carbs (you need to be spot on with carbs), it will work out and insulin on board and takes this off, if you are out of range it will suggest either more insulin or less, depending on yr levels. You can override it if needs be (ie if ill and you know you are gonna need a touch more), but generally I've been relying on the pump and tweeting my basal rates accordingly.

One thing that scared me a little were the sets, and changing them, but I love them lots too, nothing to worry bit at all.

I have been advised I could try to get CGM from my provider if hypo awareness has gone .....
However this is not as simple as it would seem, when I mentioned this today to my pump nurse she said the first thing my consultant will say is 'hand over your driving license then' ;-/, I've been there done that and not doing it again !!

I know these recommendations came out recently and need to be worked through but will investigate and wonder if anyone else has any positive outcome for getting cgm on the NHS .....

Best go in search of my exercise advice.

Cheers all.

Misty X

MISTY10

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It took nearly a year for me to finally be put onto the pump, it does take a bit of time but it's worth it in the end!

Nurse is happy with my basal rates, just trying to sort out my insulin to carb ratios a bit better now! ;-)
Took me over a year too, now 6 weeks in and still tweeking .....

Rubyloo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Greed! Religion! Eggs!
Can I. Just ask if anyone using the 640g has had any problems with cracking around the neck where you insert the reservoir? The black plastic area between the clear plastic rim? I'm having terrible problems having had 4 crack in the same place and now I have found a crack in pump No.5. The cracks are hairline and very very hard to see! Probably wouldn't notice it without looking for it! Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem?

Debsx

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Can I. Just ask if anyone using the 640g has had any problems with cracking around the neck where you insert the reservoir? The black plastic area between the clear plastic rim? I'm having terrible problems having had 4 crack in the same place and now I have found a crack in pump No.5. The cracks are hairline and very very hard to see! Probably wouldn't notice it without looking for it! Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem?

Debsx
I've been using the 640G for 10 months and haven't had any problems with cracks (so far).

I did have a crack in my first Veo and thought the 640G was a better design, so I'm sorry to hear about your problem.

wmatar

hi
i need your help, i want to buy this device to my friend ( has Level 1) and im staying in Bahrain. how can i get it? is there any site sell this? please help me.

Edited by Moderator to remove email.

Last edited by a moderator:

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
How long did it take you in order to have a lower HBA1C? I am using the pump for 6 months now and my HBA1C is higher than when I used pens?

Hello Emitrou - you are replying to a thread that's over a year old here, I can put your post into it's own thread if you wish ?

What targets have you set yourself and what's your current HbA1C ? In regards to using the pump, have you tried any basal testing to check your background ratios are set correctly ? Other than that it's down to tweaking your bolus ratios as well as the carb ratios and insulin sensitivity ?