Carpal Tunnel Syndrome...???

• Thread starter Deleted member 83869
  • Start Date
D

Deleted member 83869

And yes it probably is a pregnancy thing but I have had problems before with this arm/wrist just never thought anything of it and obviously the pain has gotten worse in pregnancy!!

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I only posted because my op was really successful and any pain that I did have disappeared.
One of the unusual things through my recovery which was a week, was I never had to take pain killers after the surgery. My sleep cycle improved and the relief was unbelievable.
So like I said, if you continue after the baby has arrived, get it done!
Can't recommend it enough!

Reactions: 2 people

November1115

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hey I had carpal tunnel syndrome when I was expecting and it resolved without treatment 8 weeks post delivery. ... but the numbness could be disabling as unable to do finger maneuvers like writing. .

It could also be RSI - repetitive strain injury which is found in pp who uses keyboards regularly...

D

Deleted member 83869

Hey I had carpal tunnel syndrome when I was expecting and it resolved without treatment 8 weeks post delivery. ... but the numbness could be disabling as unable to do finger maneuvers like writing. .

It could also be RSI - repetitive strain injury which is found in pp who uses keyboards regularly...
I did think it was RSI too but I've had that and know what that's like and I am rarely on the laptop.....tonight's an exception lol plus it stemmed from my elbow! But I can bear the pain at the moment!

D

Deleted member 83869

I only posted because my op was really successful and any pain that I did have disappeared.
One of the unusual things through my recovery which was a week, was I never had to take pain killers after the surgery. My sleep cycle improved and the relief was unbelievable.

I can relate to this...as in I understand what you are saying....not in the carpal tunnel syndrome but I had a bulging disc in my lumbar spinal region, and the pain it was causing me wass DREADFUL I felt 20 going on 90!! and having the lumbar microdiscectomy was the best decision I ever made too! :)

lessci

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That sounds unpleasant! The need to wall-bash I mean : D

I know you didn't intend for the OP to take any drugs, but just a reminder to any pregnant readers that things like ibuprofen are not recommended in pregnancy:

http://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/2398.aspx?CategoryID=54
Didn't see a mention of pregnancy in the OP, just a later one saying it was more common in pregnancy, of course medical advice should be followed. I can't take asprin if I want to be able to breathe, but most people don't have that problem

D

Deleted member 83869

Didn't see a mention of pregnancy in the OP, just a later one saying it was more common in pregnancy, of course medical advice should be followed. I can't take asprin if I want to be able to breathe, but most people don't have that problem
Sorry thought I did mention it....I know I didn't sorry, it was only because @azure knew that I was pregnant :)

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

No problem :) It wasn't mentioned in the opening post, and my mention of pregnancy didn't make that clear, only in a post about midwives was it made clear (first page of thread)

I'm always extra-cautious as we don't know who'll be reading so it was for their benefit not in any way having a go at you :)

D

Deleted member 83869

No problem :) It wasn't mentioned in the opening post, and my mention of pregnancy didn't make that clear, only in a post about midwives was it made clear (first page of thread)

I'm always extra-cautious as we don't know who'll be reading so it was for their benefit not in any way having a go at you :)
I presume that is why the post was moved to the pregnancy section haha! :)

1Sarah1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi I had trigger thumbs in both hands with my first pregnancy - very painful and couldn't hold my dd when she was born very well and was v painful doing nappies etc. I begged the doc for injections in the end. Unfortunately there isn't much you can take-paracetamol whilst pregnant.
In between my pregnancies I had foot surgery on my tendon and when I was pregnant with my twins the pain in my leg was unbearable. The OB prescribed me some other painkillers that were safe in pregnancy. The midwives also told me to bathe in salts and drink tonic water (slimline obviously!). All the hormones just have such an impact.
Defo try and get some support for your hand.
I hope it's not too painful!
Ps all these restless nights are supposed to prepare you for the joy of night feeding...(double for me).
It's all worth it when your baby arrives xx

Reactions: 4 people
D

Deleted member 83869

Hello can carpal tunnel also cause shoulder pain too???

Elliehowell

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I have carpel tunnel in both wrists. It also causes muscle wastage too. It is extremely very painful at night. I am taking meds for it but your body gets use to the dose so, I have to keep taking more and more until I get the op done. Personally, I would rather have a baby as it would be far less pain!!!

D

Deleted member 83869

I have carpel tunnel in both wrists. It also causes muscle wastage too. It is extremely very painful at night. I am taking meds for it but your body gets use to the dose so, I have to keep taking more and more until I get the op done. Personally, I would rather have a baby as it would be far less pain!!!
I presume you aren't pregnant then?? Yeah my wrist keeps playing up lately xx

D

Deleted member 83869

I don't know if a pillow would help, but I was thinking you could maybe rest your arm on it and it might help relieve some of the pain. If certain positions make the pain worse, then having a pillow 'in the right place' might help a little because you could train yourself to try to keep your arm there rather than above your head/under your side/whichever position makes it hurt more.

I know you can buy wrist splints in high street chemists but I'm not sure whether that would be a good idea, so I thought maybe the pillow would be a gentle alternative until you get seen.
Hello again is there anything I can do for the pain like now??? Its beyond uncomfortable now and annoying and a cushion doesn't help :( xx

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hello again is there anything I can do for the pain like now??? Its beyond uncomfortable now and annoying and a cushion doesn't help :( xx

I'd give your GP a call first thing in the morning @ohitsnicola It does sound like a splint might be a possible help for you.

Would hot or cold water help at all? Or even a temporary sling to hold it still? I've never had carpal tunnel so I'm not sure how the pain feels.

D

Deleted member 83869

I'd give your GP a call first thing in the morning @ohitsnicola It does sound like a splint might be a possible help for you.

Would hot or cold water help at all? Or even a temporary sling to hold it still? I've never had carpal tunnel so I'm not sure how the pain feels.
Ah I thought you did! Sorry! I have a hot water bottle somewhere so I will try that if I can find it it just doesn't make sense it's relatively okay during the day but at night it starts playing up! I have diabetes clinic tomorrow with a new dsn, could or should I mention it to her??? Xx

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Ah I thought you did! Sorry! I have a hot water bottle somewhere so I will try that if I can find it it just doesn't make sense it's relatively okay during the day but at night it starts playing up! I have diabetes clinic tomorrow with a new dsn, could or should I mention it to her??? Xx

I don't imagine it's linked to your diabetes, but I don't know forvsure. My guess would be a midwife might have more experience of it, but mention it anyway as any help would be good.

Have you tried searching threads on some of the largest pregnancy/baby forums? I bet there'll be many ladies suffering just like you. I think there are some exercises for it?

Is it to do with excess fluid? If it is, that might explain why it's worse at night (fluid can build up like the way your ankles can get more swollen).

D

Deleted member 83869

I don't imagine it's linked to your diabetes, but I don't know forvsure. My guess would be a midwife might have more experience of it, but mention it anyway as any help would be good.

Have you tried searching threads on some of the largest pregnancy/baby forums? I bet there'll be many ladies suffering just like you. I think there are some exercises for it?

Is it to do with excess fluid? If it is, that might explain why it's worse at night (fluid can build up like the way your ankles can get more swollen).
Oh no no I know it's not diabetes related...probably just it's a medical profession....when I Googled I have found quite a bit on it but I think I will post on net mums xx

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
@nosher8355 you were only off work a week? I'm having mine done tomorrow and from what I have read it can take up to 12 weeks to heal, I'm hoping to be back working asap because there is no one to cover my absence.

munday1932

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
cold weather.People who criticize my town but don't help to make it better.Please can I go back to me user name which is Kentish maid
I have had both of mine done no problems healed in 10 days just had to be careful and was signed off in 3 weeks.