Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
do gooders
hi do you have to have a vision field test every three years or
do you just have one and they let you self cert
after passing the first one ???????????????

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.

Still on my first 3 years so don't know for definite but from other peoples posts I think you have to have your sight tested every time.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
I've never had a field vision test then I haven't any retinopathy to warrant one :)

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Always had a field vision test as standard at specsavers for normal teating- with them knowing I'm a T1...
But never at retinopathy tests at hospital.
I've just moved to a CCG that do not have retinopathy screening by NHS.. All down to a choice of 11 opticians like Specsavers. (Who when you book for retinopathy ask-"when were your eyes last tested"-obviously to sell you glasses rather than being 100% just wanting. To be paid by NHS for eye screening.

I've always had field tests at specsavers for normal eyesight tests...

Molly56

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Is the field vision test part of the retinopathy screening done by the NHS...or is this something done by an optician instead....I am a little confused ....:confused:...what happens if someone has their retinopathy screening done but refuses to go and have their eyes tested by an optician....does this miss out on some of the tests required....would this make their ability to drive invalidated....

.....is a field vision test a compulsory requirement for diabetics (T2 on insulin) when informing DVLA about their diabetes and renewing their licence...how will the DVLA know if they have had it done or not....

petdell

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I went nearly thirty years without field tests. Generaly, think you are only refered for one if any changes in your eyes are picked up at annual reviews. I now have one every year and have to renew licence annually.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Only had to have a field vision test after having treatment for diabetic retinopathy, but interestingly when I last renewed my licence the DVLA didn't request it on that occasion, perhaps it was because 12 years have passed since I last had any problems and treatment.....who knows.

My wife (who isn't diabetic) did the field vision test when she last had her eyes tested at Specsavers.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Is the field vision test part of the retinopathy screening done by the NHS...or is this something done by an optician instead....I am a little confused ....:confused:...what happens if someone has their retinopathy screening done but refuses to go and have their eyes tested by an optician....does this miss out on some of the tests required....would this make their ability to drive invalidated....

.....is a field vision test a compulsory requirement for diabetics (T2 on insulin) when informing DVLA about their diabetes and renewing their licence...how will the DVLA know if they have had it done or not....
Field vision is only required if you have had laser treatment. DVLA tell you to make an apt and the results are sent directly to them no results no licence simple as that.
Obviously anyone can lie and say no eye problems etc on the forms but if that's the case licence is invalid and so is ins.
Edited to add suspect you need field ision if you have cataracts in both eyes.

Last edited by a moderator:

martin123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
do gooders
thanks for your replies I was not very clear yes I had laser but over fifteen years ago and have had the test at nhs and have said every time that its been stable and not needed any more (fingers crossed)
that's why I was wondering
but thank you all for your help
I know its a test that's shows you can see but if you can read a number plate and have good all round vision its crazy
but like carbs rock said if you lie its your fault
but I know a guy who had cosmetic surgery laser and it did him no favours and could not see to good after he had it done so shouldn't every one have it done to be fair
I know this is an eu thing and I think there is only uk and two more country's do it

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I've had background retinopathy for 4 years... Then it went and has remained gone.. So I don't see why specsavers always do field test on me....always passed but it seems others only get it if lasered.

@Molly56.. Field tests aren't normally done with the normal retinopathy screening on NHS.

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
surely the field test can be done for non diabetic related vision deterioration...........

I have never had one and I have retinopathy and maculopthy in one eye..........

so its must be true that its only required after laser treatment....:)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I've had background retinopathy for 4 years... Then it went and has remained gone.. So I don't see why specsavers always do field test on me....always passed but it seems others only get it if lasered.

Specsavers do the test to check for other conditions such as glaucoma:

https://www.specsavers.co.uk/ask-the-optician/worried-about-a-peripheral-field-test/

Wonder if it's routine now, as mentioned earlier my wife had this done last time she visited Specsavers for her eye check.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
All opticians offer a field vision test as part of the eye test.
The DVLA field vision test is compulsory if they request one. Last time I had my eyes tested the assistant wanted me to have one and insisted I took my glasses off for the test. So I suggested she read up on the instructions for conducting the test and walked out.

Reactions: 2 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
All opticians offer a field vision test as part of the eye test.
The DVLA field vision test is compulsory if they request one. Last time I had my eyes tested the assistant wanted me to have one and insisted I took my glasses off for the test. So I suggested she read up on the instructions for conducting the test and walked out.

Can imagine you doing that....

I wonder for normal driving whether you could refuse this test?

My hubby n I go at the same time and he has never had to have one...

Going to a non spec savers / non NHS for retinopathy screening in a few weeks time... I'm going to have alook out for the field vision test machine....

petdell

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Specavers now have a vested interest in diabetics now that they have sole contract for eye tests with the DVLA

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Specavers now have a vested interest in diabetics now that they have sole contract for eye tests with the DVLA

Time to move from Specsavers then!!

Dark Horse

Field tests are offered at various opticians as the test can detect field defects due to glaucoma. Although opticians usually check for glaucoma by measuring eye pressures, some people can develop the disease with normal pressures. The field test may useful for these people and is often offered to anyone (diabetic or non-diabetic) over the age of 40 as the risk of developing glaucoma increases with age.

Diabetics who have had retinal laser should inform the DVLA as they may develop field defects that adversely affect their driving. The DVLA may then request a field test from an approved opticians.

Screening for diabetic retinopathy does not include a field test.

Reactions: 2 people