Type 1: What are your HbA1c test results?

Lorraine deer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Big crowds
Hi lorraine deer, is it stress? You were doing so well ,since your knee op, hope you get back in the groove , clive
Hello Clive, I've been all over the place . I'm seeing my doctor in eight weeks again to see if I can get this upward trend reversed the only thing he was happy about was my kidney function was up to 60 from 37 four months ago.
So strict control is the order of the day.

Reactions: 2 people

michael D

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
mines is 9.0 first time back to single numbers :) having gotten a scolding from docs on the 7th
heading the right way :)

Reactions: 8 people

ConradJ

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The hassle and ignorance of diabetes.
This might sound stupid but I've no idea what a HbA1c is? Newly T1D in November...

Hi Phil,
Welcome to the madhouse and you have my sympathy for the diagnosis.

That said, you've joined the club at an excellent time and started in the right place!

You'll have a lot to learn (as will your family), but we'll all try to help point you in the right direction, so don't ever shy away from asking a question no matter how silly you think it sounds!

For starters, I recommend you start at the home page of the website and then browse through some sections on T1, diet, medications, targets and tests.

This will give you the basis of knowledge about the condition and what's involved... knowledge is power, and the more knowledgeable you are about it, the better off you will be.

Very best wishes,
Conrad

Jibbers

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
questions on dislikes
9 months in .. was 16% when in ... now 9.8% still **** acording to RA team

Lau89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Mine started at 107 and has dropped to 83mmol/mol.
Is there a range that it should be in? By the looks of it 83 is still quite high

mibby

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My HbA1c was just tested at 40 (6.0 in old money)!

The consultant is now fretting about hypos .... :facepalm:

Griffter15

My HbA1c was just tested at 40 (6.0 in old money)!

The consultant is now fretting about hypos .... :facepalm:
It's funny because if you were able to achieve the guidelines for blood glucose readings (i.e. 4-7 pre meal and below 9 2hrs after eating) I suspect that you would end up with a hba1c way under 6.5. And then you would be told it's too low.

My hba1c always seems to be between 6 and 7 and there are plenty of readings in the teens in a typical month for me

Type of diabetes
Type 1
My HbA1c is 9.5 and due for new 3 monthly test in February. Had steroid injections though which has thrown it all over the place with no rhyme or reason on daily readings. What I am eating is not correlating to my readings so just taking one day at a time at present.

AnandaUK

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
My last HbA1c was 49 at the end of November, down from 93 3 months before that. According to the mysugr app estimate, I'm at 46.1 now. It was dead on with the 49, so I'll trust it until I get my next test.

alexhill05

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
32 / 5.1. I have literally no idea how it's that low. I'm assuming exercise has something to do with it! Diagnosed April last year.

paulpapa

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My HbA1c was 10.5 in November, now it's 9.9 in January. Sigh. At least it's going down.

ConradJ

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The hassle and ignorance of diabetes.
My HbA1c was 10.5 in November, now it's 9.9 in January. Sigh. At least it's going down.

Don't be disheartened; evidence and experiences show that to reduce your HbA1c and associated blood sugar levels too quickly can induce or exacerbate certain complications - especially retinopathy.

Keep on track, review your results at least once every two weeks (and preferably weekly) and adjust your diet and meds (etc) in small quantities - you'll see the effects for yourself and can then revise accordingly.

PenfoldAPD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Asked the nurse today for my first reading as the Doc hadn't told me. It's 9.9 - pretty high, so I should be glad I got myself checked and am on the road to better health. The nurse gave me a blood glucose monitoring system, she said reps were always leaving them. I guess I need to evaluate the cost of the strips - and also get it out of the box and stab myself for the first time