CGM machines .

CapnGrumpy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I didn't realise that the Libre effectively took readings every 15 minutes in the background, so sorry for the duff information.

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It has two sorts of readings: when you scan, but also every 15 mins of its own accord. (This 'historic' reading is actually made up of the average of lots of micro measurements, which means it's more reliable than the scan measurements. I use the historic readings for my calculations, not the scans.)

So just to be clear, even if you only scan once every 8 hrs to transfer the data from the sensor to the reader, all the data will sit and stay on your reader for a matter of months. So when you plug the reader into your PC and export the data, all the historic data - all the every-15-minute numbers - will be there.

That's what I find the most useful. I don't scan that often unless something is up. I look at the numbers later, after a specific meal or un-clever mistake I made.

So yes, you can do a basal test any, any time, just by skipping a meal for the five-hour period. It's WONDERFUL !!

So what is stopping the device from scanning say every hour without any manual scan.....?

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
thanks robert....

just wondering why we need to scan at all if its capable of taking readings.....

is this in order to calibrate if needed....

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
thanks robert....

just wondering why we need to scan at all if its capable of taking readings.....

is this in order to calibrate if needed....
You have to press a button on the device to take a scan, it then captures the last 8 hours data from the sensor and stores it on the reader, so you can see the current reading and a graph of your levels for the last 8 hours (and all the history for the last 2-3 months). It's very rare that I sleep for more than 8 hours, so scanning is really not a problem. You can't calibrate the Libre as it's factory calibrated.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
So if it's out, you essentially have to estimate how much in your head.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Just to be clear though, it is purely a recording and finger prick replacement device. It does not provide a realtime stream of data.

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Im just trying to ascertain whether the last 8 hours of data, a nice graph in this case, is just the device joining the dots if you like, between one physical scan to the next....

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Im just trying to ascertain whether the last 8 hours of data, a nice graph in this case, is just the device joining the dots if you like, between one physical scan to the next....

Definitely not just joining the dots, else the score between scans (which are reported differently on the data download) would all be the same as the previous scan. That isn't the case.

I have to say, I doubt there is anyone who wouldn't learn something being able to review full-time data for a couple of weeks.

As a T2, with non-diabetic HbA1c levels, I can't justify using the Libre full time, but I definitely learned some "stuff".

Reactions: 2 people