1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

CGM machines .

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by Susiespearish, Jan 28, 2016.

1. Susiespearish

Susiespearish Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Thank you LucySW and tims2000 Much clearer :)

• Like Like x 2
  2. CapnGrumpy

CapnGrumpy Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I didn't realise that the Libre effectively took readings every 15 minutes in the background, so sorry for the duff information.

3. novorapidboi26

novorapidboi26 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

So what is stopping the device from scanning say every hour without any manual scan.....?

4. robert72

robert72 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

It's Near Field Communication (NFC) rather than bluetooth, so it can't transmit more than about 4 inches/10 cm

5. novorapidboi26

thanks robert....

just wondering why we need to scan at all if its capable of taking readings.....

is this in order to calibrate if needed....

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. robert72

robert72 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

You have to press a button on the device to take a scan, it then captures the last 8 hours data from the sensor and stores it on the reader, so you can see the current reading and a graph of your levels for the last 8 hours (and all the history for the last 2-3 months). It's very rare that I sleep for more than 8 hours, so scanning is really not a problem. You can't calibrate the Libre as it's factory calibrated.

7. tim2000s

tim2000s Type 1 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

So if it's out, you essentially have to estimate how much in your head.

8. tim2000s

tim2000s Type 1 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

Just to be clear though, it is purely a recording and finger prick replacement device. It does not provide a realtime stream of data.

9. novorapidboi26

Im just trying to ascertain whether the last 8 hours of data, a nice graph in this case, is just the device joining the dots if you like, between one physical scan to the next....

10. AndBreathe

AndBreathe I reversed my Type 2 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

Definitely not just joining the dots, else the score between scans (which are reported differently on the data download) would all be the same as the previous scan. That isn't the case.

I have to say, I doubt there is anyone who wouldn't learn something being able to review full-time data for a couple of weeks.

As a T2, with non-diabetic HbA1c levels, I can't justify using the Libre full time, but I definitely learned some "stuff".

• Like Like x 2
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook