My low carb/IF Diet - BG and progress

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Today's FBG was 6.8. Interesting because o had some chocolate before bed!!

Today is day 1 of 2.5 meals a day. So I'll track all food and weight and bg's at certain times of the day. I can't wait to see what happens!

Reactions: 10 people

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Confession time. Fell off wagon with a thud yesterday.....kids party and ruined everything with cake, crisps and more cake

So experiment has to start again today.

I hate myself to for being so bloody pathetic and weak. Why on earth do I do it? I could cry but that won't solve anything.

And to make it all worse, FBG today is the highest ever at 10

Daughter is also being a complete brat and has really upped the ante on me this morning. I wish I had someone who can step in and let her see she will miss out if this carries on. It's so hard sometimes

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Unfortunately I can relate only too well, its happened to me too many times in the past. Dont let it get to you, you're not pathetic or weak, you are human. Keep your head up high, take a deep breath and carry on.

Reactions: 2 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That's the plan....!

Deb, I think you need to try to work out what the trigger is that takes you from, "OK, so littleMiss has a party today, I'll be fine" to "LittleMiss is at her party, so whay can't I have a cake". or whatever are your thoughts. There is something that does it, because it isn't random.

When you know what the stumbling block is, you have a fabulous chance of managing it. The Deb-world-wide availability of cakes is not going away, so you have to develop a strategy for halting contact between Deb hand and cake.

If it were me, I might think a first step for First Aid would be to makse sure I had eaten, just before going to these events - no matter what time of the day it is. If you have been fed, you're less likely to kid yourself you're hungry and the cake is all thats the available.

The psyche can be a complete b&^%$£" at times.

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You are so right. I'd normally just keep away from the food but my daughter won't go and sit down without me standing behind her. I think I'll just have one sausage roll. Then it escalates. I hadn't eaten before the party and I can honestly say I wasn't hungry at the party.

I think it's the whole 'I'll start again tomorrow' bs that's gone on my whole life. Because I'm not immediately going to die, it's not as life and death as it should be. Last time I was so strong. I saw food as poison. That's what I need to get back to I think.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Deb, I think you need to try to work out what the trigger is that takes you from, "OK, so littleMiss has a party today, I'll be fine" to "LittleMiss is at her party, so whay can't I have a cake". or whatever are your thoughts. There is something that does it, because it isn't random.

When you know what the stumbling block is, you have a fabulous chance of managing it. The Deb-world-wide availability of cakes is not going away, so you have to develop a strategy for halting contact between Deb hand and cake.

If it were me, I might think a first step for First Aid would be to makse sure I had eaten, just before going to these events - no matter what time of the day it is. If you have been fed, you're less likely to kid yourself you're hungry and the cake is all thats the available.

The psyche can be a complete b&^%$£" at times.

Excellent post!

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I had a good day!!!

B: bacon and scrambled eggs. Coffee

Couldn't face lunch.

D1: half protein roll, butter, pate. 6.2 an hour after.

D2: courgetti Bolognese with cheese on top. Diet Coke.

Tea before bed. 6.6

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
So another good day....

B: bacon, eggs, coffee
L: tuna salad, small bit of Diet Coke (trying to reduce intake!)
S: a huge strawberry and a cup of tea.
D: two Aldi sausages, cauli mash, green beans and gravy. Little Diet Coke. Cheesecake fluff and two strawberries.

Tea just now as felt a bit chilly. Tested blood earlier - was at 6.3 so nice and steady. I'm struggling to eat three times a day though so may need to add on a third leg of this experiment of breakfast, no lunch and dinner. I could use lunch break to walk around block a few times instead of sitting in a stuffy staff room.

6.9 at bedtime
X

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 people

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm being very good!

FBG was a shocking 8 this morning - I have absolutely no idea why. I'm also really struggling to get blood out these days. I've never been a gusher but I have to try 3 or more times before getting enough to test....

B: bacon and eggs. Coffee.
L: corned beef salad, half protein roll with butter.
D: prawn stir fry. I bought the sauce which turned out to be super sweet. It was pretty bad so I tried to drain as much off as possible. Cheesecake fluff and a strawberry. Can Diet Coke.
S: tea.

6.6 before bed.

Reactions: 4 people

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
FBG 6.8

B: 6 rashers, 3 eggs. 2 coffees

L: m&s prawn Chinese salad. Ate prawns and some spinach with bit of dressing. Yuck so really didn't have much at all!! Cheesecake Fluff.

S: tea

D: doner homemade on lettuce wrap. No coleslaw. Diet Coke.

Weighed in this morning and am at least a kilo down since starting on Monday which is encouraging. Met a friend yesterday and she said I was looking well so that's nice to hear too.

EDIT - forgot to say I have a really strong feeling that missing breakfast doesn't suit my bg and I may be better missing lunch. Only a hunch at the mo but it feels likely. I'd prefer to have lower FBGs though but they could be hangovers from my rebellion on Sunday....

My friend mentioned a mutual friend who's lost 8 stone over 18 months. Apparently she saw a dietician who said 1000 calls a day and exercise. Initially I thought this was a bit extreme but then I considered what I eat and probably only have a little bit more a day in two meals so it's not really that different. No idea why I'm sharing this but thought I'd mention it!! If I end up skipping lunch, I'll go for a walk at work or take my Dumbbells in and do a mini workout instead of sitting in staff room surrounded by temptation...

Reactions: 7 people

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Still being good - just not had time to write stuff down.

Just took my bed time reading and got a shocking 10.6 after eating dinner 3 hours ago!!!! I thought it was low enough in carbs but clearly not or perhaps not enough fat in it but it's getting struck off the menu from now on! All it was was prawn stir fry with courgette noodles. I used packet oyster sauce which was higher in carbs than I usually would go for, I thought I could drain the badness away - clearly didn't work. May as well have just had the real thing

Kids have been winding me up all evening so I'm a bit stressed out too. Off to bed now as I've had enough of today. Goodnight xxx

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
Still being good - just not had time to write stuff down.

Just took my bed time reading and got a shocking 10.6 after eating dinner 3 hours ago!!!! I thought it was low enough in carbs but clearly not or perhaps not enough fat in it but it's getting struck off the menu from now on! All it was was prawn stir fry with courgette noodles. I used packet oyster sauce which was higher in carbs than I usually would go for, I thought I could drain the badness away - clearly didn't work. May as well have just had the real thing

Kids have been winding me up all evening so I'm a bit stressed out too. Off to bed now as I've had enough of today. Goodnight xxx
Tomorrows another day....dust yourself off and walk forwards and repeat......every day in everyway i'm getting better an better

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Debmcgee
How many carbs in the sauce?

Could have been the protein... I peak at 2-3 hrs after a high protein, low carb meal, because i am breaking the protein down and getting some glucose out (gluconeogenesis). There's a lot of protein in prawns, and they are very low fat, so it is easy to eat a lot of them!
10 at 3 hrs after that meal would be high for that meal, for me.
But it depends on other things too - fibre, portion size, starting bg, liver dump status... and of course how many carbs were in the sauce. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

amgrundy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being bored
Hi all, Just wanted to share this
Diagnosed Jan 5th 2016 BG reading 19.3
end of first week in the 12s
end of second week in the 10s
end of third week between 7s-9s
end of fourth week in the 8s
end of fifth week in the 6s and 7s
end of sixth week in the 5s 6s 7s
end of seventh week 5s -6s
Just had my BG reading tonight 2hrs after dinner 5
All this on the LCHF diet / weight loss 1 stone.
Could not have done this without the support of all the lovely people on here and their knowledge thank you all so much for your help and advice.:):happy:

Reactions: 10 people

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@amgrundy. I am JEALOUS!!!!

What do you eat on a normal day?

@brun - don't have the packet anymore as this was out of the freezer from the time before....it tasted far too sweet the first time so I added more prawns and drained it. Also added some soy sauce BEFORE reading label - - didn't realise it was so high!! It used to be a free food on slimming world!! It was the lowest carb sauce I could find in asda - reckon it was around 25% carb so v high but divided up among three meals, not so crazy!

I wish my numbers were better....

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Couldn't draw blood again tonight so gave up in the end. Annoying.

Been really good despite raised stress levels at work and home. I'd love to dive into a giant chocolate cake but I have opted for the more sensible option of bed...

B: boiled egg and sausage. Coffee.
L: prawn, Mayo, lettuce wraps. Diet Coke.
D: bacon and eggs. Tea. Fluff, strawberry and half jelly.
Tea before bed.

Not been able to test at work lately either. So busy, it's hard enough going to the loo as it is!!