Veg Dodgers!!

GeoffersTaylor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not being able to like beer anymore!!
It was suggested (possibly tongue-in-cheek) on the "What have you eaten today?" thread that maybe a new topic is required for those of us who really don't like our veggies too well. The idea is to share ways and means of getting those greeny good things down our necks as painlessly as possible.

One way I have is my spinach bread (link to the recipe in my signature).

Another is a broccoli & stilton soup - basically chop and boil a load of broc, add a stock cube and a pile of chopped stilton, then blend it until all the lumps are gone. Hey presto - soup!

A recent discovery of mine is dry-dried cauli rice. Warm a frying pan, throw in the cauli rice, add garlic salt, coriander or whatever other herbs you fancy and slowly dry fry. The cauli turns brown and takes on a nutty taste so it stops tasting like cauliflower.

So the floor is open - how do you get your veggies?

Reactions: 4 people

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I buy mostly frozen and boil. I then shut my eyes to eat. Gulp! Not good, I know. I need psychotherapy to fix. Me thinks.
I need to get over my negative feelings about veg. All of them.
Thanks @GeoffersTaylor . I will endevour to try caulirice. I bet I'd enjoy a lovely curry again. Does frozen cauli work?

Reactions: 5 people

Kyi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I dont think I have any vegs that I really dislike with maybe 1 exception, the S word - Sprouts. Saying this I bought some yesterday. Must have been off my head when they went into the trolley (too much label reading maybe). I would love some suggestions, Im thinking pan fried in butter with bacon or maybe creamed. Something flash fried maybe to combat the bitter taste. Usually I have my token 1 at Christmas with plenty of salt.
As to eating veg in general I combine vegs. Dont just have cabbage, add things to it like celery, leeks,onion, its surprising how the flavours change. Tomato & cabbage work particularly well, think cabbage rolls in tomato sauce added rice optional.

JenniferW

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have to admit I'm the opposite - I don't think there's a vegetable I don't really like! And I miss those high carb ones! Just had a bowl of steamed calabrese plus aparagus (reduced - but now I'm wondering why I don't treat myself to it from time to time), and a knob of butter on top. But the quality of the vegetables really matters. Wherever possible I buy organic, and apart from the principles of all that, I do actually think it's usually better for flavour. I only use frozen vegetables in an emergency - they're often (usually?) the most tasteless - I'd not blame anyone for scorning them.

Reactions: 2 people

JenniferW

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I buy mostly frozen and boil. I then shut my eyes to eat. Gulp! Not good, I know. I need psychotherapy to fix. Me thinks.
I need to get over my negative feelings about veg. All of them.
Thanks @GeoffersTaylor . I will endevour to try caulirice. I bet I'd enjoy a lovely curry again. Does frozen cauli work?

You can curry any vegetable, so why not eat all of yours that way? And loads of the Indian spices are good for your health for one reason or another.

Larissima

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I find all veggies taste better sauteed in butter, with bacon strips! ;)

Or with double cream...

Reactions: 14 people

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I love Veg. If I didn't also love Meat I'd be a V....,,.,.,,,,,

Last edited by a moderator:

Finsky

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
I love my veg too...and grow most of my fruit and veg myself.
Like already mentioned...those of you who are not so keen veg... in curried form they usually goes down well. If you don't fancy blending your own spices, buy ready made mix, knob of butter/oil on pan > fry the spices a moment and chuck partly cooked/steamed veg and give another quick shuffle on pan to coat the veg with spices (good time to add left over cold meat too)> bit of cream or coconut milk and you have instant sauce. The veg don't have to swim in the sauce, just enough to make them sticky with sauce is enough...YUM! Cauli korma..LOVELY! ..and if you like bit of 'bite'...throw in few cashew nuts and cook for a moment so they go tender...and LOADS of coriander and squeeze of lemon/lime and you get different twist to the korma.
Gosh...should not 'talk' about food...just thinking it makes me hungry.

Reactions: 7 people

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I find all veggies taste better sauteed in butter, with bacon strips! ;)

Or with double cream...

That's the way, from just adding a knob of butter to the saucepan after cooking them, to going the whole hog and sautéing them in Butter or Olive Oil with Garlic, Crushed peppercorns, maybe a little chilli and of course Bacon lardons will add a whole new dimension.

Rub asparagus or baby leeks, or even green beans with Olive Oil and griddle on a pan or BBQ. Slice Courgette or Aubergine and do the same.

Vegetables don't always pack huge flavour, so add your own and enjoy.

Kyi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Had to look up the veg called calabrese, Its the posh word for what I call broccoli as oppose to the long stemmed broccoli. Broccoli n cheese sauce is nice too.

Finsky

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Kale might be something that is not for everybody's taste and yet it is so nutritious and 'good for us'.
I cook it in small amount of plain water> when tender pour water off and put bit of butter to melt on, pinch of salt and season with black and white pepper >quick toss around in pan on hot plate to get rid of rest of the moisture and job done! I LOVE to eat it with couple of soft boiled eggs, so that yolk will run on the kale. MMM....sticky yellow yolk over dark green buttery kale.
And if you really want to make extra effort...toast some pine nuts on dry frying pan and sprinkle them on the yolk'ie kale..MMMMM....

Kyi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Never tried Kale, The coarse texture puts me off. Does it soften much when its cooked?

Finsky

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Had to look up the veg called calabrese, Its the posh word for what I call broccoli as oppose to the long stemmed broccoli. Broccoli n cheese sauce is nice too.
Oh yes...sprouting broccoli is just coming into season..YUM...that just simply steamed and give it 'knob of butter' and 'runny egg' treatment...it doesn't need anything else. Though I do like my veg....

Last edited by a moderator:

Finsky

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Never tried Kale, The coarse texture puts me off. Does it soften much when its cooked?
There is all sorts of kales...some have smooth leaves that are more like open cabbage leaves, but those are not usually available from shops. And kale come in different colours too..though again...not from shops. Sadly supermarket kale tend to be more 'robust types' as they will look fresher longer without going limp.
Kale don't cook soft like cabbage, it will always have soft bite even when cooked well..but it doesn't feel like brillo pad in mouth neither..LOL.
The main difference to cabbage type green with kale is that it has its own taste..they are much stronger flavoured greens than that of cabbage or brussels etc. One of those that you either hate it or love it..

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Homemade vegetable soup is delicious, cauliflower and broccoli cheese and raw veg sliced (thin or chunky) and eaten with a lovely dip, yummy.

Pink_Minx

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Try it as "crisps" - wash it and dry it really well, then massage in a tiny amount of olive oil, then add stuff - Chinese Fice Spice, nutritional yeast, smoked paprika...

Put it on a greaseproof-lined baking tray for 15 mins at gas mark 7. Turn the tray around and cook for another 10 mins. Take out of the oven and leave it for three mins.

It'll change your mind on kale! Don't use baby kale, though - it's too fragile.

just_undiscovered_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Crowds, bright lights, shopping, arrogance, reality TV shows..
I have to say, I also am not a fan of vegetables.. However, since doing moderate carb and moderate fat.. I have noticed my vegetable intake has increased a little.. I seem to like steamed stemmed broccoli, I tolerate asparagus, and I am eating a lot of ROASTED KALE (an entire bag) not sure if that's good having it roasted, but I love, love it.. it tastes like crispy seaweed.. oh and I seem to also like roasted butternut squash and roasted aubergine, cabbage, pak choi.. the problem is I don't cook all these vegetables often enough, so I am not getting my 5 a day.. oh and most important is that they all have to have chicken fish or meat in order for me to eat it, so I can't eat say a bowl of vegetables on its own:spitoutdummy:

Reactions: 6 people

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
How do I get my veg? Second hand. Steer eats plants, I eat steer.

Reactions: 6 people