This 8 week 800 calorie a day thing

DaveNN

I had the opposite problem with Met, chronic diarrhoea.
My Dr suggested that I use Bisto.
It never cured it but it thickened it up a bit. :)

Donnadoobie

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks @AndBreathe, I am seeing the GP tomorrow to ask for a blood test, and have a weight and blood pressure check

Last edited by a moderator:

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
WELL DONE @Donnadoobie
What an awesome achievement!

I think I would put your FBG today down to brewing a virus, unless it happens regularly in the future.
Just a one off, I hope.

Take my hat off to you!

Reactions: 2 people

Jamrox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mushrooms
Garlic bread
Walking up steep hills
Went a bit over tonight , had a couple of oranges , which I will probably regret , got to get "things moving " lol

Reactions: 6 people

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Not sure if SBS has geo restrictions in place like many TV stations do, but if you're in Australia you can watch online here:

http://www.sbs.com.au/ondemand/video/623949379758/Insight

As an added bonus, Prof Roy Taylor was also speaking via videolink, as well as Michael Moseley live on stage.

We get to meet a few of "those" patients - all the evidence in front of them as to the dangers to health and what a difference diet can make, but they're too busy or can't be bothered to make the effort - sigh :(

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cauliflower pretending to be rice and any vegetable pretending to be pasta
Hi @Indy51
Thanks for the heads up on insight. I watched as well. Taylor was very good. I was very disappointed that there were not more medical professionals in the audience but enjoyed seeing the Diabetes Australia rep squirming a little

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Indy51
Thanks for the heads up on insight. I watched as well. Taylor was very good. I was very disappointed that there were not more medical professionals in the audience but enjoyed seeing the Diabetes Australia rep squirming a little
Yep, I enjoyed the grilling the interviewer gave him about their low fat recommendations - she was like a terrier with a rat, lol.

Reactions: 4 people

Jamrox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mushrooms
Garlic bread
Walking up steep hills

It's on you tube

Reactions: 3 people

Jamrox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mushrooms
Garlic bread
Walking up steep hills
Just watched it , Interesting and informative

Donnadoobie

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Been to see my GP this morning to ask for some blood tests now that I am coming to the end of my 8 weeks. I don't think she had heard about the 8 week blood sugar diet and seemed to think that it was a sugar free diet ( I didn't enlighten her as I didn't want the lecture about eating a VLCD). She was very pleased with me and weighed me, 5kg down since last time, blood pressure was ok but not as low as when nurse took it ( but I was very anxious about this appointment) and said that to have it taken again when I had the blood tests done next week. She said that if it comes back at less than 130/85 she will take me off one of my blood pressure medications. She was super impressed and I discussed that I had been disappointed about not seeing lower numbers but she assured me that they are stable ( not really moving between 5.5 a 6.5 at any time of the day) which was a good thing. She said she will be very interested to see the results of the tests and would be very surprised if I am not back into normal Hba1c levels.
Tests being done on Wed, Hba1c and fasting cholesterol. I will report back.
Feeling more positive today.

Reactions: 4 people

Jamrox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mushrooms
Garlic bread
Walking up steep hills
@Donnadoobie that's inspirational for me and motivated me to keep going . Thankyou for sharing .

Jamrox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mushrooms
Garlic bread
Walking up steep hills
Aloe era colon cleanse from Holland and Barratt has gently helped me !!!!

Kyi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think Im going to try to do the 800 calories for 8 weeks. I have already cut out the carbs down to 50-80gms I know I can improve this I also have cut down the calories to 1350, 550 calories off should be ok to do. I can always go back up to the 1350 if I dont like it. 8 weeks is about as long as Ive done the 1350 Ill start after my Friday weigh in (I like to get my full week of 1350 in first lol). Im already in the full swing of weighing and measuring and have already cut of manufactured foods and carbs and feeling full at the 1350 calories. There are 2 of me in this skin and I want the other person out lol ie lots of weight to lose yet.

Reactions: 12 people

FloraDora

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think Im going to try to do the 800 calories for 8 weeks. I have already cut out the carbs down to 50-80gms I know I can improve this I also have cut down the calories to 1350, 550 calories off should be ok to do. I can always go back up to the 1350 if I dont like it. 8 weeks is about as long as Ive done the 1350 Ill start after my Friday weigh in (I like to get my full week of 1350 in first lol). Im already in the full swing of weighing and measuring and have already cut of manufactured foods and carbs and feeling full at the 1350 calories. There are 2 of me in this skin and I want the other person out lol ie lots of weight to lose yet.

Good luck! My husband and I are on week 5 and it's going well. He has lost about 18lbs, my weight loss has been a bit less, but then like you I had previously low carbed and already lost quite a bit of weight. We have got into a routine of fruit and yoghurt for breakfast, soup or salad for lunch, and a tasty evening meal with plenty of green veg. Eating our way through a mountain of kale!

I'm looking forward to the Spring and warmer days. I have bought myself a dress - previously I hid in baggy tunics and jeans, preparing for the grand reveal!!!!!

Kyi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good luck! My husband and I are on week 5 and it's going well. He has lost about 18lbs, my weight loss has been a bit less, but then like you I had previously low carbed and already lost quite a bit of weight. We have got into a routine of fruit and yoghurt for breakfast, soup or salad for lunch, and a tasty evening meal with plenty of green veg. Eating our way through a mountain of kale!

I'm looking forward to the Spring and warmer days. I have bought myself a dress - previously I hid in baggy tunics and jeans, preparing for the grand reveal!!!!!
Thanks, Ive lost nearly 16lb so far since mid January low calorie 1350. I have lost loads this week because I am also watching my blood glucose, monitoring sugars pre and post foods. Thats why I think I can try the 800 for 8 weeks. Im managing fine as I am and after watching the youtube video thought why not. The best is yet to come because I havent increased any exercise. I figured it would be better not to build muscles until I had lost the fat.

Guthlac

Haven't posted for a while but I'm on day 46 (week 7) and I've officially dropped out of the 'obese' category and into 'severely overweight'. My blood pressure has plummeted and is around the 115/65 mark now and I expect my meds to be reduced soon. The one thing I have changed in the diet is I've added a (small) handful of nuts at around 9pm. The difference this has made to my fasting BG is profound. I was getting readings of 7.5-8.5 but immediately I started on the nuts my morning readings fell to 6-6.5. I had one day when I forgot and my reading the following morning was 7.2. Amazing. When I read about it I thought it was voodoo but it's certainly worked for me. It's not made any difference to my weight loss, if anything its gone down a little quicker (but there are too many variables to be able to make any serious evaluation there). At 87.4kg I still have a way to go to my target of 70kg so I expect to keep going beyond the 8 weeks. I think the DIRECT study is looking at 8-20 weeks. Good so far. Average BG is 6.8 now.
Guthlac.

Reactions: 7 people

Kyi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for the information Guthlac, I am going to keep my routine the same for a couple of weeks other than dropping calories to 800 to see what affect it has on the fasting BG readings. Im around 8-9 at the moment after switching meds to 12hr intervals it seems to settles more into the 8s. Im keeping caffeine at the moment but thats the next to go after the calories, then if I still need more Ill try the nuts. I am seeing 10s - 7s in post meals so I probably will need to lose the caffine just I dont like water lol.

Jamrox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mushrooms
Garlic bread
Walking up steep hills
Wow people the successes are great . It's keeping me going. My daughter is taking me out for tea so I might be nearer 1000 today . Maybe the 5:2 will be better for me if I'm honest . Will try and keep this going and as before add an extra day . On a more positive note my carb intake is back where it should be ... Lower lol.