A few asking for low carb food lists....

Gezzabelle

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have seen a few members asking for low carb food lists for shopping etc. I was sent this list when I first came to this forum by a very helpful member and it was a god send to me amidst all the confusion. I just thought maybe others might find it useful/helpful in some way. I should have thought to share it before now but hope it proves useful to anyone needing a bit of guidance

Beef Roast
Beef Steaks
Corned Beef
Ground Beef
Poultry
Chicken pieces, thighs, legs, wing, breast
Duck
Goose
Pheasant
Turkey: whole, breast, leg portions, or ground
Pork
Bacon
Ground Pork
Ham
Italian Sausage
Bratwurst sausages (lidl) great taste & normal sausage substitute.
Pork Chops
Pork Roasts
Pork Steaks
Pork Tenderloin
Sausages look for high meat content
Tinned Pork & Ham
Fish
Canned Salmon
Crab
Flounder
Herring
Salmon
Sardines
Scallops
Shellfish
Shrimp
Sole
Trout
Tuna Fish
Spices And Condiments
Chili Powder
Garlic Powder Garlic Salt
Horseradish
Onion Powder
Paprika
Parmesan Cheese
Salt & Pepper
Salad Dressings
Salsa
Soy Sauce
Vinegar
Worcestershire Sauce
Yellow and Brown Mustard
Low Carb Syrups and Sweetener

Non-Starchy Vegetables
Alfalfa sprouts (great on salads)
Artichoke
Asparagus
Avocado
Bean Sprouts
Bell Peppers (green, red, yellow, orange)
Bok Choy
Broccoli
Brussel Sprouts
Cabbage (Any)
Cauliflower (Great as rice or mashed potato substitute.)
Celery
Celeriac
Chickpeas
Cucumbers
Fresh Spinach
Flax seed (add to salads & things)
Flower sprouts
Garlic
Green Onions
Hot Peppers
Leeks
Lentils
Lettuce
Mushrooms
Okra
Mushrooms
Radish
Peas
Yellow Onions
Red Onions
Squash
Tomatoes/paste & Sun dried
Zucchini
Note; frozen is most the time better than fresh.
Fruit (most is ok, but best in small portions.)
with root veg those with an orange tinge to them eg carrots, sweet potato, swede are better that the white veg, but still have to watch portion size.

Fats / Oils
Bernaise Sauce
Hollandaise Sauce
Mayonnaise
Olive Oil
Peanut Oil
Sesame Oil
cooking spray
Coconut oil

Dairy and Non Dairy
Milk full fat.
Coconut milk
Cheeses (hard)
Butter/Ghee
Cream Cheese
Eggs
Heavy Whipping Cream
Heavy Cream
Sour Cream
Yogurt
Greek yogurt, plain, full fat.

Snacks and Other Goodies
Olives (black)
Peanut butter
Pork Scratchings
Dark Chocolate 70% or more Cocoa (Good when cooking)

Ryvita. (A good replacement for bread.)
lidl's Rivercote sesame crispbreads, ( lower carbs than Ryvita)
Tuc crackers
Nuts (that you like.)
Seeds
Chia seed (This thread shows the benefits of this magick like seed. http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/72819/
These little beauties can be added to almost anything, they can even be used as an egg substitute & thickening soups, sauces stews etc.)

Flax seed - similar to chia.
Cornflour (great for thickening & making yorkkie puds etc)
Almond flour
Coconut flour
Cinnamon
Oatmeal
Soya flour
Breads
livlife
Burgen linseed & soya - shop around prices vary from like £1.59 coop to £1 asda. And of course LIDL HIGTH PROTEIN ROLLS
Low Carb Tortillas,
The higher the fiber & lower the carbs the better.
Try to avoid wheat based products as much as possible, including cereals

Drinks
Bottled Water (Drink 2-3 ltrs/day
Coffee (decaf) unless you can tolerate normal
Tea (decaf) unless you can tolerate normal

RobPL

The pound shops and cheap stores do a lot of low carb table sauces.
This is my current collection.
f7a887428ea75128bb69e95746066284.jpg

Neo-Saiyan

I have seen a few members asking for low carb food lists for shopping etc. I was sent this list when I first came to this forum by a very helpful member and it was a god send to me amidst all the confusion. I just thought maybe others might find it useful/helpful in some way. I should have thought to share it before now but hope it proves useful to anyone needing a bit of guidance

Beef Roast
Beef Steaks
Corned Beef
Ground Beef
Poultry
Duck
Goose
Pheasant
Pork
Bacon
Ground Pork
Ham
Italian Sausage
Pork Chops
Pork Roasts
Pork Steaks
Pork Tenderloin
Tinned Pork & Ham
Fish
Canned Salmon
Crab
Flounder
Herring
Salmon
Sardines
Scallops
Shellfish
Shrimp
Sole
Trout
Tuna Fish
Spices And Condiments
Chili Powder
Horseradish
Onion Powder
Paprika
Parmesan Cheese
Salt & Pepper
Salad Dressings
Salsa
Soy Sauce
Vinegar
Worcestershire Sauce
Yellow and Brown Mustard

Non-Starchy Vegetables
Artichoke
Asparagus
Avocado
Bean Sprouts
Bok Choy
Broccoli
Brussel Sprouts
Cabbage (Any)
Celery
Celeriac
Chickpeas
Cucumbers
Fresh Spinach
Flower sprouts
Garlic
Green Onions
Hot Peppers
Leeks
Lentils
Lettuce
Mushrooms
Okra
Mushrooms
Radish
Peas
Yellow Onions
Red Onions
Squash
Zucchini
with root veg those with an orange tinge to them eg carrots, sweet potato, swede are better that the white veg, but still have to watch portion size.

Fats / Oils
Bernaise Sauce
Hollandaise Sauce
Mayonnaise
Olive Oil
Peanut Oil
Sesame Oil
cooking spray
Coconut oil

Dairy and Non Dairy
Milk full fat.
Coconut milk
Cheeses (hard)
Butter/Ghee
Cream Cheese
Eggs
Heavy Whipping Cream
Heavy Cream
Sour Cream
Yogurt

Snacks and Other Goodies
Olives (black)
Peanut butter
Pork Scratchings

Tuc crackers
Nuts (that you like.)
Seeds
Chia seed (This thread shows the benefits of this magick like seed. http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/72819/
These little beauties can be added to almost anything, they can even be used as an egg substitute & thickening soups, sauces stews etc.)

Almond flour
Coconut flour
Cinnamon
Oatmeal
Soya flour
Breads
livlife
Burgen linseed & soya - shop around prices vary from like £1.59 coop to £1 asda. And of course LIDL HIGTH PROTEIN ROLLS
Low Carb Tortillas,

Drinks

Great list and I'm sure it'll come in very handy for when I go food shopping, I just have one question, on the list of meats I don't see any lamb/mutton/goat there, is that just a preference or should those be avoided?

knoxy55

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Anything to do with birds or feathers, whether to look at or eat.
Thank you for this list it is a great help. Unfortunately I don't eat poultry of any kind nor fish (fish fingers!). I am not overly keen on vegetables about a couple of tablespoons at a time. I have under active thyroid and on meds for that, I am limited in my exercise due to an ankle injury. I have been trying to lose weight but nothing is happening. My diet is porridge with flax seed and blueberries with a cup of tea. Snack mid morning apple, tea, and maybe a couple of crackers with butter. Lunch soup and 2 slices of Lidl Low GI seeded bread, sometimes with a couple of slices of hard cheese followed with a yogurt lowest sugar I can find. Afternoon is tea, banana not too ripe and if very hungry rich tea x2. Dinner could be steak sausages with baked beans and a couple of potatoes boiled in their jackets followed by tea and a small slice of cake I find this is the hardest part of the day. Then I stay out of kitchen rest of evening after clearing dishes etc. My other half makes a cup of tea and it's either rich tea x 2 or a slice of Brennan's brown bread which is 60 Cal's and low carb spread with peanut butter thinly. Any advice advice on what to change would be great.

Gezzabelle

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you for this list it is a great help. Unfortunately I don't eat poultry of any kind nor fish (fish fingers!). I am not overly keen on vegetables about a couple of tablespoons at a time. I have under active thyroid and on meds for that, I am limited in my exercise due to an ankle injury. I have been trying to lose weight but nothing is happening. My diet is porridge with flax seed and blueberries with a cup of tea. Snack mid morning apple, tea, and maybe a couple of crackers with butter. Lunch soup and 2 slices of Lidl Low GI seeded bread, sometimes with a couple of slices of hard cheese followed with a yogurt lowest sugar I can find. Afternoon is tea, banana not too ripe and if very hungry rich tea x2. Dinner could be steak sausages with baked beans and a couple of potatoes boiled in their jackets followed by tea and a small slice of cake I find this is the hardest part of the day. Then I stay out of kitchen rest of evening after clearing dishes etc. My other half makes a cup of tea and it's either rich tea x 2 or a slice of Brennan's brown bread which is 60 Cal's and low carb spread with peanut butter thinly. Any advice advice on what to change would be great.
Wow.....so much wrong with this I don't know where to start. So many things that are not usually acceptable for a diabetic person; Are you testing your BG??? I would be amazed if your readings are low after eating that lot. I wouldn't even think of eating most things you do as my BG would go through the roof. Porridge, apples, crackers, bread, yogurt, banana, biscuits, baked beans, potatoes, cake are all questionable. If I ate even a fraction of that I would have sky high BG and be piling on the pounds. Everyone is different of course and can maybe tolerate some of the mentioned foods but I would hope that you have tested to see how they are affecting your blood sugars. I suggest you take a look at the forum and get some ideas about what people eat. The LCHF way of eating is not only filling but can help lower your BG and help you lose weight

the_anticarb

Dislikes
Spiders, winter, bills, ignorance, prejudice
I have been making a porridge from coconut flour (or almond flour/ground almonds works well), with just a few porridge oats (no more than 20%) and then mix in a few blueberries and splenda. I make it with no added sugar almond milk. Sometimes for a treat I stir in some almond butter and sprinkle with flaked almonds. It doesn't taste exactly the same as normal porrridge but it is nice and warming and a good low carb alternative. Could you try that instead?

If you are trying to lose weight you will need to cut the carbs, you can eat a suprising amount of fat on a low carb diet, I've lost 4 stone in 2 years. There's a book called the high fat diet, not specifically aimed at diabetics but it worked for me, I just lost 12lbs since christmas on it for my forthcoming wedding.

Best of luck

hamrag

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I am following the 10 week low carb Programme and while it is excellent, I found the food database too American and so hard to relate to UK food, I purchased the Carbs and Cals book. problem solved all info in UK English and now I complete the food diary manually. recommend people buy if they want to keep track and have an accurate record of Carbs

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We can't really say what is good or bad for you because of your other medical conditions and we are all different what one diabetic can't eat another can so all I would say is pick things from the list given that you do like to eat

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
so all I would say is pick things from the list given that you do like to eat

.... and test .....

Reactions: Grandma Misti

knoxy55

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Anything to do with birds or feathers, whether to look at or eat.
Wow.....so much wrong with this I don't know where to start. So many things that are not usually acceptable for a diabetic person; Are you testing your BG??? I would be amazed if your readings are low after eating that lot. I wouldn't even think of eating most things you do as my BG would go through the roof. Porridge, apples, crackers, bread, yogurt, banana, biscuits, baked beans, potatoes, cake are all questionable. If I ate even a fraction of that I would have sky high BG and be piling on the pounds. Everyone is different of course and can maybe tolerate some of the mentioned foods but I would hope that you have tested to see how they are affecting your blood sugars. I suggest you take a look at the forum and get some ideas about what people eat. The LCHF way of eating is not only filling but can help lower your BG and help you lose weight
Hi - I have been told not to test so don't know what my BG's are. Whrn you says you couldn't eat a fraction of this - when you say you couldn't eat the same please tell how you would

Other than 2lbs put on over Christmas which I am very very slow to move I have stayed steady while eating as above. The DESMOND programme does not recommend the 5:2 diet because of hypo's. I'm really at a loss what to do next.

C

catherinecherub

You need to get yourself a blood glucose meter so that you can test your blood sugars.
Have you been given the basic advice that @daisy1 posts? This will help you understand the role of carbohydrates in the diet and the meter may throw up some surprises for you.
We are all unique in that we can eat varying amounts of carbohydrates.

revive@2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
yobs +litter/.Loud music on t.v. when actors speaking

Beef Roast
Beef Steaks
Corned Beef
Ground Beef
Poultry
Duck
Goose
Pheasant
Pork
Bacon
Ground Pork
Ham
Italian Sausage
Pork Chops
Pork Roasts
Pork Steaks
Pork Tenderloin
Tinned Pork & Ham
Fish
Canned Salmon
Crab
Flounder
Herring
Salmon
Sardines
Scallops
Shellfish
Shrimp
Sole
Trout
Tuna Fish
Spices And Condiments
Chili Powder
Horseradish
Onion Powder
Paprika
Parmesan Cheese
Salt & Pepper
Salad Dressings
Salsa
Soy Sauce
Vinegar
Worcestershire Sauce
Yellow and Brown Mustard

Non-Starchy Vegetables
Artichoke
Asparagus
Avocado
Bean Sprouts
Bok Choy
Broccoli
Brussel Sprouts
Cabbage (Any)
Celery
Celeriac
Chickpeas
Cucumbers
Fresh Spinach
Flower sprouts
Garlic
Green Onions
Hot Peppers
Leeks
Lentils
Lettuce
Mushrooms
Okra
Mushrooms
Radish
Peas
Yellow Onions
Red Onions
Squash
Zucchini

Fats / Oils
Bernaise Sauce
Hollandaise Sauce
Mayonnaise
Olive Oil
Peanut Oil
Sesame Oil
cooking spray
Coconut oil

Dairy and Non Dairy
Milk full fat.
Coconut milk
Cheeses (hard)
Butter/Ghee
Cream Cheese
Eggs
Heavy Whipping Cream
Heavy Cream
Sour Cream
Yogurt

Snacks and Other Goodies
Olives (black)
Peanut butter
Pork Scratchings

Tuc crackers
Nuts (that you like.)
Seeds

Almond flour
Coconut flour
Cinnamon
Oatmeal
Soya flour
Breads
livlife
Low Carb Tortillas,

Drinks
I am just go order books from this site with numbers for carbs in each page .I am on the low carb site teaches what to eat and diet each week ask daisy for link ??hope helps xx revive@2

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Here is the Basic Information we give to new members and I hope this will help you. The link to the Low Carb Program is in the text and in my signature. Hope this is helpful.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEW MEMBERS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you’ll find over 150,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.
There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:

• Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates

Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

Another option is to replace ‘white carbohydrates’ (such as white bread, white rice, white flour etc) with whole grain varieties. The idea behind having whole grain varieties is that the carbohydrates get broken down slower than the white varieties –and these are said to have a lower glycaemic index.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/food/diabetes-and-whole-grains.html

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes

LOW CARB PROGRAM:
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/low carb program

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to bloodglucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

Scimama

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
For those new to low carbbing I would highly recommend testing your blood glucose levels before and after eating and snacking until you know which type and how many carbs your body can handle. Some items in the list I would consider high carb or can be if you don't check the labels. Stick with the mantra "eat to your meter"

lentils - a serving (3 tbspn) of lentils can be about 20g carbohydrates so take care on quality until you know how much you can manage without causing a BG spike

Peas - serving (3 tbspn) of peas can be about 10g carbohydrates

Tomato paste - check the label for amount of added sugar, some have an enormous amount in

Peanut butter - check the label for amount of added sugar, most supermarkets do sell sugar free versions

Pork Scratchings - some versions have extra flour coatings so aren't as low carb

Ryvita.
Tuc crackers - Ryvita and similar can be about 6g carbs per slice and TUCs about 3g per biscuit so need to have portion control

Cornflour (great for thickening & making yorkkie puds etc) – 25g of flour gives 20g of carb so I would suggest making very small yorkkies and testing the effect.

Oatmeal 16g of carb in 1/4cup of oatmeal, but some diabetics can tolerate it – test before and after