A few asking for low carb food lists....

Mallyman

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Keeping proteins down and trying control sugars is an extra challenge but have you tried cutting carbs and adding in a little more of the healthy fats?
The only thing I eat with added sugar is 85% chocolate. And I've reduced my other carbs a lot but have cheese, olive oil, cream and butter. Are these ok for your kidneys?
Hi Tricia. Yeh, it's been a battle. My Diabetes is Cortisone and Immunosuppressive induced. Started 2020, 2 years after Transplant. I also started looking at alternative meds. I dumped Statins and ACEs as my sport dropped those levels. But I still have to take Cortisone daily. I'm still learning tricks though. I now eat recooked potatoes, rice and pasta. Let them go cold overnight in a fridge then recooking them disturbs the carb/starch molecules. I eat blueberries every day. I drink Lemon Water. But I do take Alluporinol to counter Purines from Protein to block gout. Otherwise I would waste away again as I did at the start. But my Dietician nor Diabetologist can explain. Its always, "Oh its your Meds." So I just trudge on and stay happy knowing I'm still able to live better than on dialysis. 11.5 years was a long time. I eat all animal fats. I eat veggies and nuts too. I only use olive oil or nut/seed oils to eat or cook. I do however take a spoonful of Blackseed oil or Flax oil in Veggie Juices. I steer well away from Canola and Vegetable oils. As for Margerine, I'd rather stick pins in my eyes. Vile invention. I will grind Cocoa husks down for a protein shake and only use hone or Zylitol to sweeten. But Thank-you so much for your concern. It is appreciated.

Last edited:
Reactions: TriciaWs

Mallyman

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Tricia. Yeh, it's been a battle. My Diabetes is Cortisone and Immunosuppressive induced. Started 2020, 2 years after Transplant. I also started looking at alternative meds. I dumped Statins and ACEs as my sport dropped those levels. But I still have to take Cortisone daily. I'm still learning tricks though. I now eat recooked potatoes, rice and pasta. Let them go cold overnight in a fridge then recooking them disturbs the carb/starch molecules. I eat blueberries every day. I drink Lemon Water. But I do take Alluporinol to counter Purines from Protein to block gout. Otherwise I would waste away again as I did at the start. But my Dietician nor Diabetologist can explain. Its always, "Oh its your Meds." So I just trudge on and stay happy knowing I'm still able to live better than on dialysis. 11.5 years was a long time. I eat all animal fats. I eat veggies and nuts too. I only use olive oil or nut/seed oils to eat or cook. I do however take a spoonful of Blackseed oil or Flax oil in Veggie Juices. I steer well away from Canola and Vegetable oils. As for Margerine, I'd rather stick pins in my eyes. Vile invention. I will grind Cocoa husks down for a protein shake and only use hone or Zylitol to sweeten. But Thank-you so much for your concern. It is appreciated.
Sorry I may not have been clear in my description of the Carbs in my initial thread. There are 30 Carbs of which 2 of them are Sugars. Not that I use 2 sugars in my breakfast

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Sorry I may not have been clear in my description of the Carbs in my initial thread. There are 30 Carbs of which 2 of them are Sugars. Not that I use 2 sugars in my breakfast
OK, I did think you meant 2 sugars!

Reactions: Mallyman

Mallyman

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
OK, I did think you meant 2 sugars!
Mind you I really should have made it about 4g. Still better than sugar as it is digested differently. But you know that already. Been using honey since military service in South America. The locals know so much about natural healing.

Last edited:

Mallyman

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Keeping proteins down and trying control sugars is an extra challenge but have you tried cutting carbs and adding in a little more of the healthy fats?
The only thing I eat with added sugar is 85% chocolate. And I've reduced my other carbs a lot but have cheese, olive oil, cream and butter. Are these ok for your kidneys?
Hi Tricia. I have just had a 5.3 HbA1c reading. I'm presently getting a FBG between 5.8 and 5. This morning I was 5.5. I had 2 protein rolls and 3 boiled eggs. A cup of tea with sweetener for breakfast at 0900. 15KH. I had a Cappucino at 1130. 6 KH. I took a meter reading at 1230. I was 147. I can eat just Eggs and Bacon and later my BG will be 130 to 150. My Dietician has told me that my body offsets my day as I am physically active. At night I can go down to 5 again, after a a large portion of Spelt Spaghetti. Sometimes I wake with an adrenalin burst. Its all due to being very active. She has absolutely no worries about my diet. I just have to take Allopurinol to fend off gout due to purines in Protien.

Thornliebank

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I have seen a few members asking for low carb food lists for shopping etc. I was sent this list when I first came to this forum by a very helpful member and it was a god send to me amidst all the confusion. I just thought maybe others might find it useful/helpful in some way. I should have thought to share it before now but hope it proves useful to anyone needing a bit of guidance

Beef Roast
Beef Steaks
Corned Beef
Ground Beef
Poultry
Chicken pieces, thighs, legs, wing, breast
Duck
Goose
Pheasant
Turkey: whole, breast, leg portions, or ground
Pork
Bacon
Ground Pork
Ham
Italian Sausage
Bratwurst sausages (lidl) great taste & normal sausage substitute.
Pork Chops
Pork Roasts
Pork Steaks
Pork Tenderloin
Sausages look for high meat content
Tinned Pork & Ham
Fish
Canned Salmon
Crab
Flounder
Herring
Salmon
Sardines
Scallops
Shellfish
Shrimp
Sole
Trout
Tuna Fish
Spices And Condiments
Chili Powder
Garlic Powder Garlic Salt
Horseradish
Onion Powder
Paprika
Parmesan Cheese
Salt & Pepper
Salad Dressings
Salsa
Soy Sauce
Vinegar
Worcestershire Sauce
Yellow and Brown Mustard
Low Carb Syrups and Sweetener

Non-Starchy Vegetables
Alfalfa sprouts (great on salads)
Artichoke
Asparagus
Avocado
Bean Sprouts
Bell Peppers (green, red, yellow, orange)
Bok Choy
Broccoli
Brussel Sprouts
Cabbage (Any)
Cauliflower (Great as rice or mashed potato substitute.)
Celery
Celeriac
Chickpeas
Cucumbers
Fresh Spinach
Flax seed (add to salads & things)
Flower sprouts
Garlic
Green Onions
Hot Peppers
Leeks
Lentils
Lettuce
Mushrooms
Okra
Mushrooms
Radish
Peas
Yellow Onions
Red Onions
Squash
Tomatoes/paste & Sun dried
Zucchini
Note; frozen is most the time better than fresh.
Fruit (most is ok, but best in small portions.)
with root veg those with an orange tinge to them eg carrots, sweet potato, swede are better that the white veg, but still have to watch portion size.

Fats / Oils
Bernaise Sauce
Hollandaise Sauce
Mayonnaise
Olive Oil
Peanut Oil
Sesame Oil
cooking spray
Coconut oil

Dairy and Non Dairy
Milk full fat.
Coconut milk
Cheeses (hard)
Butter/Ghee
Cream Cheese
Eggs
Heavy Whipping Cream
Heavy Cream
Sour Cream
Yogurt
Greek yogurt, plain, full fat.

Snacks and Other Goodies
Olives (black)
Peanut butter
Pork Scratchings
Dark Chocolate 70% or more Cocoa (Good when cooking)

Ryvita. (A good replacement for bread.)
lidl's Rivercote sesame crispbreads, ( lower carbs than Ryvita)
Tuc crackers
Nuts (that you like.)
Seeds
Chia seed (This thread shows the benefits of this magick like seed. http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/72819/
These little beauties can be added to almost anything, they can even be used as an egg substitute & thickening soups, sauces stews etc.)

Flax seed - similar to chia.
Cornflour (great for thickening & making yorkkie puds etc)
Almond flour
Coconut flour
Cinnamon
Oatmeal
Soya flour
Breads
livlife
Burgen linseed & soya - shop around prices vary from like £1.59 coop to £1 asda. And of course LIDL HIGTH PROTEIN ROLLS
Low Carb Tortillas,
The higher the fiber & lower the carbs the better.
Try to avoid wheat based products as much as possible, including cereals

Drinks
Bottled Water (Drink 2-3 ltrs/day
Coffee (decaf) unless you can tolerate normal
Tea (decaf) unless you can tolerate normal

Reactions: RobynV

RobynV

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Is it possible to print this page on this forum , I’m using an iPad
Hi Thornliebank, Problem is (I think) - you try to print and the file to be printed is diabetes.co.uk address - not a printable file. See attached file below. I fudged up a pdf using Mac book and transferred back to iphone to attach here. Acknowledgements to Gezzabelle and poster who helped her.

Generally speaking - with these issues - tap share; then instead of choosing print, tap the ‘up arrow over box’ (ie for sending / forwarding) - this should result in a file name that is a pdf; save (if you want) or just tap print (preview and select the top pages you want before printing or you will get whole thread.) Another version of this is - press print - and in print menu choose ‘pdf’ instead of a printer. All a bit device and internet manager dependent. I happen to use Firefox instead of Safari most of time. Better cross platform functionality.

Attachments

• 2016 Locarb shopping list POST from Gezzabelle.pdf
    41.6 KB · Views: 115
  • Useful
Reactions: jjraak

Thornliebank

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Hi Thornliebank, Problem is (I think) - you try to print and the file to be printed is diabetes.co.uk address - not a printable file. See attached file below. I fudged up a pdf using Mac book and transferred back to iphone to attach here. Acknowledgements to Gezzabelle and poster who helped her.

Generally speaking - with these issues - tap share; then instead of choosing print, tap the ‘up arrow over box’ (ie for sending / forwarding) - this should result in a file name that is a pdf; save (if you want) or just tap print (preview and select the top pages you want before printing or you will get whole thread.) Another version of this is - press print - and in print menu choose ‘pdf’ instead of a printer. All a bit device and internet manager dependent. I happen to use Firefox instead of Safari most of time. Better cross platform functionality.
Thank you not at home at mo but looks like that will work many thanks